Sponsored by:

991.1 bumper construction

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 04:27 AM
daxio
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 991.1 bumper construction

Why am I asking? Someone drove into the back of my new to me C4 Manual at traffic lights a couple of days ago, on the day I collected the car.

He has accepted fault and is insured. My insurance are sending me to a body shop to inspect. I would like to have them remove the bumper and check the steel beneath. He was doing about 5mph ( 5-10km) I estimate , I was stopped - so a jolt.

The bumper is creased and the number plate area seems to be curving inwards near the plate lights ( they popped out). These are Polypropylene T20 possibly - I found a reference in a photo of a 991.2 oem replacement.

I don’t really want a car with filler over plastic. I am guessing a new OEM bumper will be 5k min.

Any thoughts welcome, I’m so upset.

Last edited by daxio; 06-22-2024 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:35 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Yeah, Porsche approved body shops will replace the rear bumper. Will cost about 5k. You also need to file a diminished value claim, which will be about 10% of car value. You may have to file a lawsuit to get paid fairly.
Old 06-22-2024, 07:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Sorry. Man, that really sux to happen at any time, but especially on your first day of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:33 AM
Autobahnschreck
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Yeah, Porsche approved body shops will replace the rear bumper. Will cost about 5k. You also need to file a diminished value claim, which will be about 10% of car value. You may have to file a lawsuit to get paid fairly.
You have to have the bumper cover taken off for inspection if there is more damage behind, to e.g. heat shields, or the quite solid metal bar that forms the real bumper. The Porsche shop will require ca. 1/2 hour do do this.
Rest assured, these components are all bolted-on and easily replaced.
Probably a new bumper cover will do, but it has to be sprayed the car color. A total of EUR 5.000 may be realistic. If the paint job is done properly, no traces of the accident should remain.

This car may have value of somewhere between EUR 80.000 to 100.000. Do not hope for a diminished value compensation only in sighting distance of 10% of the car value.
To U.S. readers: this car is stationary in Monaco. No U.S. lawyers. French habits apply. Ever watched how cars are parked along the streets of Paris ?
Forward until "boom", reverse until "boom", repeat, until the lot fits the car (or vice versa).
I believe beyond the repair cost you might get a diminished value compensation, if any, around 10 % of the repair cost.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Here is a great post about what you should look for in a rear end collision. What may not look like much could be worse than you think. Meant to educate.

So you think it's just a bumper job, huh? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 06-22-2024, 05:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by daxio
My insurance are sending me to a body shop to inspect.
I do not know what the laws are where you live, but where I live, insurance companies cannot send your car to a shop the insurance company chooses.

And as usual, any clown can get a driver's licence. He was likely busy on his stupid cell phone.

Quick Reply: 991.1 bumper construction