Sponsored by:

Help with Mirror Tap problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 07:06 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Help with Mirror Tap problem!

I have a 2018 991.2 S. Removed the overhead console and taped into the blue wire and brown wire for a switched power connection. Plugged in the V1 turned on the switch and V1 came on. Zip tied the wires and reinstalled the overhead console. Turned the ignition switch back on to test and V1 didn’t come on?

My first thought was the mirror tap came loose so removed the console and it looked fine but now there is no switched power and the daytime running lights are out. I’ve looked at a lot of fuses but can’t find a bad one. My owners manual and car fuse box looks a little different.

Any ideas what is the problem? Thanks

Old 06-21-2024, 10:06 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Have you checked the voltage through the fuses? While most fuses will show clear sign when they've failed, it's always good to use a voltmeter on them to see if current is actually being passed. Ground the negative probe of the voltmeter and then use the positive probe either onto exposed parts of the fuse, or down into the socket. You should see the 12vdc on both sides. It's sometimes faster to do this across all of the fuses rather than pulling them out individually. Also look for any signs someone else has 'done work' on the electrical, like added a second fuse somewhere else for some past accessories.

I tapped into the mirror on my '18 Targa to add a dashcam (an inexpensive one via aliexpress). I used a harness adapter that came with it, as I wanted to make sure it could be easily reversed without leaving any signs or damage to existing wires.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-21-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 04:45 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

It was a blown 5A fuse. The reason the drl weren’t coming on was that I was in the garage and my headlights were on.

Quick Reply: Help with Mirror Tap problem!