Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally gutted, need advice on ding on car and how you would handle it

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 06:27 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 481 Posts

I had a ding on nearly the exact same spot over my magnetic stone guard as well. Mine was actually slightly worse because it was right on the crease of where it flattens out. I went the PDR route with the hole drilled and plugged. I would say I'm 95% satisfied. To the untrained eye, where the work was done could never be noticed. Of course I do because I'll always know where it was. But I've asked others to try to find it and they can't. The cost to benefit of going to the actual body-work route seems completely out of proportion. I plan to keep the car for the very long term. If rust were to ever become an issue which I doubt, I'd address it then. Everything is fixable for a price and it's just a material item so what's the big deal.

For the rocker panel, I would take the same approach. Spend a few hundred buck on the PDR. Worst case scenario, if it's not done to your liking, you spend more money and get it done perfectly. Either way, it can be fixed. More than likely a good PDR guy can get it out to where 99.9% of people would never notice it.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:26 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

This rocker panel has been dented by quite a few 991 owners in recent months, I doubt a standard shopping cart did that, perhaps one with a curb attached to it?
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (06-10-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:32 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
This rocker panel has been dented by quite a few 991 owners in recent months, I doubt a standard shopping cart did that, perhaps one with a curb attached to it?
For mine it wasn't a curb because you can see the height where the bottom of the actual cart hit the fender. Very disappointing honestly, going to have PDR guy take a stab at it as the least intrusive option first as a repaint would look perfect, would also devalue the car quite a bit which I'm not really wanting although i don't care much about resale as I'm not planning on selling soon.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:33 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I had a ding on nearly the exact same spot over my magnetic stone guard as well. Mine was actually slightly worse because it was right on the crease of where it flattens out. I went the PDR route with the hole drilled and plugged. I would say I'm 95% satisfied. To the untrained eye, where the work was done could never be noticed. Of course I do because I'll always know where it was. But I've asked others to try to find it and they can't. The cost to benefit of going to the actual body-work route seems completely out of proportion. I plan to keep the car for the very long term. If rust were to ever become an issue which I doubt, I'd address it then. Everything is fixable for a price and it's just a material item so what's the big deal.

For the rocker panel, I would take the same approach. Spend a few hundred buck on the PDR. Worst case scenario, if it's not done to your liking, you spend more money and get it done perfectly. Either way, it can be fixed. More than likely a good PDR guy can get it out to where 99.9% of people would never notice it.
THIS makes me have much more hope. Thank you for your first hand knowledge because I love the car but hate the eyesore. Really wish there were better side skirt options for narrow 991.2 bodies.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:34 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shane@MagnaFins
Ugh, I hate that, so sorry. I'd go for the second option as well.

I can't tell from the pic, but let me know if the driver's side MagnaFIn fin got dented. If so, PM or email me and I'll send you a new one, on me.
I know it's dented but won't do anything until I get the PDR guy to fix it. Thank you for the offer, you're a stand up guy.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:44 PM
ShawooDude
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I just had my washer shake itself loose in spin cycle and it hit my car. I was going nuts but I found a paintless dent removal guy and $280 later you cannot tell anything happened.
That's my worst nightmare. Checking my stacked dryer tonight
Old 06-13-2024, 03:54 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrey
For mine it wasn't a curb because you can see the height where the bottom of the actual cart hit the fender. Very disappointing honestly, going to have PDR guy take a stab at it as the least intrusive option first as a repaint would look perfect, would also devalue the car quite a bit which I'm not really wanting although i don't care much about resale as I'm not planning on selling soon.
If that wasn't a curb, then some a-hole targeted your car: that rocker panel is thick metal, and won't dent like that with a shopping cart rolling into your car. . . but if someone pushed the cart as hard as they could right into the side of your car? That could do it! (but that wouldn't be any accident).
Old 06-13-2024, 04:21 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

im also OCD, I park far and if there isn't proper parking. im going to the next building But aholes will find out cars no matter what..

Option 2!

Quick Reply: Totally gutted, need advice on ding on car and how you would handle it