Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pad options for 991.1 GTS yellow calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024 | 02:21 PM
R3ctivision
Rennlist Member

Default Pad options for 991.1 GTS yellow calipers

Hi all, I just got a new-to-me 991.1 GTS with 24k miles. I am fortunate to have bought it from my father, who didn't drive it much anymore. Here's the obligatory pic:

Anyway, the car was originally optioned with PCCB. My dad tracked the car occasionally for a few years and eventually the dealer told him the PCCBs were EOL (in hindsight, I don't think that was true, but I digress). He ended up replacing the PCCBs with some drop-in 350mm Girodiscs and Pagid yellows, but I'm not planning to track the car more than 1-2 weekends per year anymore as I already have a dedicated racecar. So I'm looking to go back to a street-friendly setup, but I could use some input about what to do. Most info I can find online about PCCB replacement is about the GT3/RS brake setup, so I'm not sure what applies to the 991.1 GTS. AFAIK, here are my options:

1. Replace with stock PCCB rotors and pads. Due to the prohibitive cost, this is basically a non-option unless I can find some used ones in good condition.. but even then, seems worse than option 2..
2. Replace with Surface Transforms CCB rotors. I've heard good things about these and they're 50% of the cost of PCCBs, while also being refurbishable. If I go with these, what are my pad options for something CCB-compatible? Are there options that let me swap between street pads and track pads on the same rotors? I've heard of Pagid RSC1, RSL1, and RSL29. Any others?
3. Keep Girodisc, but swap to a street pad. What are my options here? Are the yellow calipers the same as the red, just with a different mounting bracket? Do they accept the same pad shapes?

I'd also like to know the pad shape for the yellow caliper and whether I can run larger rotors (say, for a GT3 setup) on my GTS by just putting in a caliper spacer.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 05-21-2024 | 02:23 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by R3ctivision
Hi all, I just got a new-to-me 991.1 GTS with 24k miles. I am fortunate to have bought it from my father, who didn't drive it much anymore. Here's the obligatory pic:

Anyway, the car was originally optioned with PCCB. My dad tracked the car occasionally for a few years and eventually the dealer told him the PCCBs were EOL (in hindsight, I don't think that was true, but I digress). He ended up replacing the PCCBs with some drop-in 350mm Girodiscs and Pagid yellows, but I'm not planning to track the car more than 1-2 weekends per year anymore as I already have a dedicated racecar. So I'm looking to go back to a street-friendly setup, but I could use some input about what to do. Most info I can find online about PCCB replacement is about the GT3/RS brake setup, so I'm not sure what applies to the 991.1 GTS. AFAIK, here are my options:

1. Replace with stock PCCB rotors and pads. Due to the prohibitive cost, this is basically a non-option unless I can find some used ones in good condition.. but even then, seems worse than option 2..
2. Replace with Surface Transforms CCB rotors. I've heard good things about these and they're 50% of the cost of PCCBs, while also being refurbishable. If I go with these, what are my pad options for something CCB-compatible? Are there options that let me swap between street pads and track pads on the same rotors? I've heard of Pagid RSC1, RSL1, and RSL29. Any others?
3. Keep Girodisc, but swap to a street pad. What are my options here? Are the yellow calipers the same as the red, just with a different mounting bracket? Do they accept the same pad shapes?

I'd also like to know the pad shape for the yellow caliper and whether I can run larger rotors (say, for a GT3 setup) on my GTS by just putting in a caliper spacer.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
RSC1 is the recommended pad on Surface Transforms. It is also very capable on track, allowing you to run the same pad on both street and track. RSC1 is noiseless and dustless on the street, but we have broken track records with it as well. Excellent dual-use pad. If you have the PCCB/yellow calipers, the pad shapes you need are 4908/4909. STs are the best brake discs on the market and customers love their ST Rotors.

If you stick with Girodisc, you could run DS2500 on the street and DS1.11 or 3.12 on track. The compounds play nice when swapping back and forth. You would then run the 991 GT3/GT4 pad shapes, FCP4664 front with FCP4713 rear.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
R3ctivision (05-23-2024)
Old 05-21-2024 | 08:37 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
RSC1 is the recommended pad on Surface Transforms. It is also very capable on track, allowing you to run the same pad on both street and track. RSC1 is noiseless and dustless on the street, but we have broken track records with it as well. Excellent dual-use pad. If you have the PCCB/yellow calipers, the pad shapes you need are 4908/4909. STs are the best brake discs on the market and customers love their ST Rotors.

If you stick with Girodisc, you could run DS2500 on the street and DS1.11 or 3.12 on track. The compounds play nice when swapping back and forth. You would then run the 991 GT3/GT4 pad shapes, FCP4664 front with FCP4713 rear.
That’s the best answer I have read in a while. I know who I’m contacting when I want a brake upgrade.

Posting to capture history.
The following 3 users liked this post by jdgamble:
d-- (05-28-2024), H2Owon (05-22-2024), R3ctivision (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024 | 11:13 PM
R3ctivision
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the super helpful reply! Are the GTS yellow calipers the same as the GT3/GT4 red and/or yellow calipers? Your post indicates multiple pad shapes will fit it, which I suppose has more to do with the different annulus of the ST disc vs the Girodisc..?
Old 05-28-2024 | 02:21 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by R3ctivision
Thanks for the super helpful reply! Are the GTS yellow calipers the same as the GT3/GT4 red and/or yellow calipers? Your post indicates multiple pad shapes will fit it, which I suppose has more to do with the different annulus of the ST disc vs the Girodisc..?
Are you going with Girodiscs? Then you need the iron-annulus (FCP4664 or Pagid 4924) on the front. If going with ceramic/ST, you need the PCCB annulus (Pagid 4927) on the front. FCP4665 or Pagid 4925 rear. Don't run Ferodos on ceramics.
Old 05-28-2024 | 11:40 PM
R3ctivision
Rennlist Member

Are you going with Girodiscs? Then you need the iron-annulus (FCP4664 or Pagid 4924) on the front. If going with ceramic/ST, you need the PCCB annulus (Pagid 4927) on the front. FCP4665 or Pagid 4925 rear. Don't run Ferodos on ceramics.
Awesome, this is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! I haven't decided which solution I'll go with yet, but I am ready I will reach out to you.

Quick Reply: Pad options for 991.1 GTS yellow calipers