Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you rollback the DME as well as the odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 12:55 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_K
so I quickly scramble to get the Carfax that I also didn't buy before purchasing the car because clearly I'm not the kind of person that likes to make sound decisions.
Self awareness is key.

I have no idea what went on but I'm very curious to find out how this goes.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:36 PM
Mike_K
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
This is kind of wild and I almost agree that someone maybe was fudging mileage for IRS reimbursment, crazier things have happened and if all the modules match the 88k miles and the car condition indicates the same I would tend to believe my eyes over the carfax but at the same time usually those smog places check the odometer themselves and put the number in so seems hard to fudge that.
Fun fact... It's only been smogged in California and it's only been smogged since the mileage drop in 2020. Most of the mileage entries are from Porsche dealers.

Either way, condition is really all thats important right now but when you go to sell you will likely have troubles. Id probably keep it and drive it till the wheels fall off or you will have to have a real low price when you go to sell it.

I find it really hard to believe someone could have over 300k miles on a car and it not looks noticably worn out in certain areas (like others mentioned the headlights and paint and interior).

I have a Honda S2000 with 200k miles on it and the original windshield is all pitted and the interior while still clean, definitely shows the amount of wear I would expect with the miles.
I have an AP1 with 16,000 miles in my driveway. I'm selling it for a friend. Wild car. I've never driven something that's felt more connected to me as I'm operating it. It's almost telepathic. I thought my i8 had quick turn in. I was wrong.

Back to the Panamera... Here are some pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure. To me the headlights are commensurate with the mileage. A little fading of the factory coating. The seats and driver touch surfaces are the giveaway for me though. The driver's seat is firm with little wear. No bolster wear to speak of. No wear that I can spot from ingress/ egress. The center console and door armrests are both firm without any stretching of the material or obvious breakdown of the padding in them. The steering wheel appears to show normal wear.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:42 PM
Mike_K
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Self awareness is key.

I have no idea what went on but I'm very curious to find out how this goes.
You and me both. lol
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 01:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

That car doesn't have 300k miles on it. It's a mistake and probably an innocent one.

As one plausible example, I own an LLC that buys my personal cars to avoid sales tax and then I donate them to myself for free. I made a mistake on recording the mileage during the title transfer at the DMV (they don't physically check the mileage). The wrong mileage showed up on my title record, car fax and my insurance company. Fortunately it was only a few thousand miles off.

No one messed with the odometer. It's an administrative error.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (05-17-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 04:26 AM
Gmuend
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The condition of the interior are consistent with how highway used 300k mile plus Porsche would look like. Interiors of German premium brands take mileage remarkably well if the owner takes care.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:44 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
That car doesn't have 300k miles on it. It's a mistake and probably an innocent one.

As one plausible example, I own an LLC that buys my personal cars to avoid sales tax and then I donate them to myself for free. I made a mistake on recording the mileage during the title transfer at the DMV (they don't physically check the mileage). The wrong mileage showed up on my title record, car fax and my insurance company. Fortunately it was only a few thousand miles off.

No one messed with the odometer. It's an administrative error.
As a one-time thing? Sure.

What about the regular maintenance intervals in the 2010s from a dealership recording increasing mileage?

Quick Reply: Can you rollback the DME as well as the odometer?