Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locating former P owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:02 AM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, a quick text or email I feel is ok if you found a contact in paperwork.

Politely explaining the reason for obtaining pertinent history, but that’s where I’d end it if I got no reply.

Anything else seems over the top, imo.

The following users liked this post:
Rustler (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:04 AM
digs
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

I sold a Boxster to a relative , just before covid .

They decided to sell on Bring a trailer .I offered to buy back at my selling price , no go ?

Sold on BAT for a 5k profit , oh well ? I did shame a bonus my way !

I got the buyers address and shipped the original IMS take out so they had it with the car .

Boy was that guy pleased , gave me a great big THANK YOU !

Turns out he and son have a nice group of cars owned a long time , they keep all their cars very long term

Made me happy to help with the history .
Old 04-29-2024, 01:02 AM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

I was in this predicament when I bought my 991.2. I am the 2nd owner, this guy ordered the car new, racked up 50k miles in 3 years and sold it.

I bought it CPO, paperwork upon paperwork in the car. The only personal info in it was the guys name and address. So, I sent him a letter.

A few weeks later, I get an email response. It was awesome to back hear from the original owner. Told me he drove it daily and that it was his 9th 911, ended up ordering a Gt3 to replace this GTS.

You never know. If you have the means to communicate, try it. What's the worst that can happen, they don't respond?
Rustler (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 01:50 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sort of a reverse problem -- I discovered when my father died that my brother or mother found the original paperwork for his old 356B. Having seen how the P community is, I've entertained thoughts about trying to see if the car is still running around and if so, whether the current owner would like the archive but first I have to figure out where my mother/brother put all that paperwork ...
Old 04-29-2024, 02:27 PM
subaru335i
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NikosLee
So I bought a car from Carvana and it checked out fine and in some cases too fine... like this is a well looked car.
I got the carfax all good.
I ran epicvin which found the car and a bunch of previous listings for sale ... all good
I called the dealership as the car had been CPO'd and they shared a bunch of GOOD if not GREAT stuff with me but I have no records or anything

So heres the thing,,,, you know the sat nav - it has the previous home owners address in it.. I googled it and its kind of unclear who lives there.
So I have been thinking about writing a letter but I dont know what response i will get...
Please do not ****ing write a letter to the PO from the GPS home address. That is so unbelievably creepy.
ace10 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:35 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Sort of a reverse problem -- I discovered when my father died that my brother or mother found the original paperwork for his old 356B. Having seen how the P community is, I've entertained thoughts about trying to see if the car is still running around and if so, whether the current owner would like the archive but first I have to figure out where my mother/brother put all that paperwork ...
Absolutely, I think this would be awesome if you did it for the next owner and he/she would be thrilled, that's exactly the spirit of this thread: Porsche enthusiasts and a shared passion.

I totally disagree with the notion a few people have expressed above that finding and reaching out to a prior owner is "creepy." Rubbish. There's nothing creepy about a polite email or letter to ask if someone is willing to follow-up with you.

Now you need consent before you can ask if you have consent to have a conversation about a car? Someone shake me awake before saying "how are you?" to a stranger becomes a "creepy" move.
biggreek (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:16 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustler
Absolutely, I think this would be awesome if you did it for the next owner and he/she would be thrilled, that's exactly the spirit of this thread: Porsche enthusiasts and a shared passion.

I totally disagree with the notion a few people have expressed above that finding and reaching out to a prior owner is "creepy." Rubbish. There's nothing creepy about a polite email or letter to ask if someone is willing to follow-up with you.

Now you need consent before you can ask if you have consent to have a conversation about a car? Someone shake me awake before saying "how are you?" to a stranger becomes a "creepy" move.
I think the problem is that we've been given all sorts of reasons to be distrustful of contacts popping up out of the blue and people you don't know searching for details on you. I would think the best way to make contact would be to give the previous owner(s) a chance to reach out by putting a notice in the Rennlist and PCA forums: "I'm the proud new owner of WP############### and would love some details on its history from previous owners. Who got it originally, where has it been, what did you do with it?"
Old 04-30-2024, 01:21 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
I think the problem is that we've been given all sorts of reasons to be distrustful of contacts popping up out of the blue and people you don't know searching for details on you. I would think the best way to make contact would be to give the previous owner(s) a chance to reach out by putting a notice in the Rennlist and PCA forums: "I'm the proud new owner of WP############### and would love some details on its history from previous owners. Who got it originally, where has it been, what did you do with it?"
Yup, Rennlist is a great resource for this. I found the prior owner of my 996tt here on Rennlist before I bought it from the dealer he traded it in to. Gave me his excel sheet with the service history, and then when I picked the car up I met him and bought him a cup of coffee. It was fantastic.

If you're a prior owner and you get a polite email/text/letter/DM and you don't want to share, just don't respond. If you want to share and pass on the enthusiasm for the mark, I think you'll find it rewarding!
Old 04-30-2024, 04:05 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 143 Posts

I've been considering listing the VINs for my past cars in my .sig for awhile now. I don't mind leaving a trail of information on models, lest some future seller try to do a buyer wrong. I'm a fan of transparency in that respect. Just gives me minor concern that a VIN associated with me personally is just a tad to revealing. What do you all think?

I know if I found the VIN of one of my cars and saw a post history here I'd love reading it. I don't think it opens the prior owners up to any legal exposure. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2024, 05:11 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

I regret that I’ve become this person, and yet if a new owner of a car I’d sold contacted me I would instantly assume that person has a problem with the car and want to pin it on me. And it’s not because I sell cars without disclosing issues.

I concede there is a little bit of wiggle room there where the cars are enthusiast vehicles like these. My suggestion, if you do find and contact the previous owner, would be to be very clear about your intentions very early in the discussion.

Having said that - the wheels on my car are different from the ones on the build sheet. I’m either the third or fourth owner - the wheels are fine but I admit I’m curious.

Last edited by WJGreer; 04-30-2024 at 05:13 PM.
cbredesen (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Locating former P owner