Sponsored by:

991.1 rear spoiler lift height

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 04:06 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 991.1 rear spoiler lift height

Have own my 991.1 GTS for a few years and never noticed what happened yesterday while on the Fwy. Normally when the spoiler automatically is in the raised position, I can only tell if I look in the driver side view mirror and see a tip of it. Yesterday while looking through the rear window from the rear mirror, I noticed a couple inches of the top edge in view. I had thought somehow the rear panel lifted (oil/fan area) as I never saw this in view before. As I coasted to a stop, I realized it was not the engine panel but it was the spoiler as it dropped back down. So, why did the spoiler raise much higher than usual while I was driving? There was one moment where I flashed my brights while on the Fwy. Could this had something to do with the higher spoiler position? There are two height positions for the spoiler?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:36 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

On my 991.1 C2S with optional "SportPASM" (aka SPASM), with shorter stiffer springs, stiffer roll bars and a front spoiler lip, the rear spoiler has two up positions. The lower one happens at 75 mph with the sunroof closed. It goes to the higher position if I pop the rear of the sunroof. Back when the 991 was introduced, Porsche had a video explaining that it was needed to balance the aero. In my car it has nothing to do with flashing the headlights.

I believe the 991.1GTS had this setup standard.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 04-11-2024 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
imagerep (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
On my 991.1 C2S with optional "SportPASM" (aka SPASM), with shorter stiffer springs, stiffer roll bars and a front spoiler lip, the rear spoiler has two up positions. The lower one happens at 75 mph with the sunroof closed. It goes to the higher position if I pop the rear of the sunroof. Back when the 991 was introduced, Porsche had a video explaining that it was needed to balance the aero. In my car it has nothing to do with flashing the headlights.

Thanks so much for the reply. I rarely ever use the sunroof but I did on this drive. That’s it! Funny, all this time owning this GTS and learned something new. Again, thanks.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:22 AM
Monkey47Martini
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

Any correlation with this on a cab?
Old 04-12-2024, 12:00 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Monkey47Martini
If it's all about aero with the coupe and it's sunroof open, the Cab would not have this spoiler 2-position feature. What would be the point?
Old 04-12-2024, 12:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey47Martini
I believe it was only on Sport PASM equipped cars, and that option was not available on 991 Targas or Cabs.

Quick Reply: 991.1 rear spoiler lift height