Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do stock diverter valves fail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 02:42 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default How often do stock diverter valves fail?

I am about to undertake a mild tune on my 2017 991.2 Carrera, by replacing the stock turbos with Carrera S units and upping the power and torque to roughly stock Carrera S levels. The shop doing the work suggests replacing the diverter valves at the same time, along with the air/oil separators.

Is this necessary with such a mild tune? How often do these components fail at well-below stock GTS power levels?
Old 03-23-2024, 03:05 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I am about to undertake a mild tune on my 2017 991.2 Carrera, by replacing the stock turbos with Carrera S units and upping the power and torque to roughly stock Carrera S levels. The shop doing the work suggests replacing the diverter valves at the same time, along with the air/oil separators.

Is this necessary with such a mild tune? How often do these components fail at well-below stock GTS power levels?

with a tune alone you should be at stock GTS levels
A tune plus S turbos will give you that much more.
I replaced my diverter valves when I did a tune. Easy. Inexpensive and good insurance
Old 03-23-2024, 03:26 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

If you're replacing the turbos, enough stuff comes off of the car that replacing the diverter valves is easy. The valves themselves are not super expensive, so it's really good insurance to do it. To answer the question directly - at stock power levels, they don't fail. There have, however, been some failures at higher than stock levels. If you're sticking to GTS or lower power levels, you should be fine, but most S tunes are more than stock GTS power.
The following 2 users liked this post by enzotcat:
cbredesen (03-24-2024), DR911s (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:22 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I much agree with enzocats's advice. I have a 2017 C2S and shortly after having the 4-year major service done at 27k miles, I installed an FVD Brombacher tune, and not long thereafter started getting fault codes indicating low boost and boost pressure deviation from setpoint value. I was at maximum seeing 12 - 13 psig on the dashboard boost gauge before I replaced the diverter valves with those from Flat 6 Motorsports. Thereafter I quickly see 17 psig on that dashboard boost gauge. Changing those diverter valves is one of those "while you're in there" jobs that should be done as preventative maintenance IMO.

Edit 3/24/24: IF my OEM stock diverter valves were functioning properly, I should have been seeing more than 13 psig on the dashboard boost gauge, probably 15 - 16 psig. At least one of them was leaking under "full boost command" conditions, and that also showed in slower relative acceleration performance of the car when on the OEM tune.

Last edited by DR911s; 03-25-2024 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Add Text
Old 03-23-2024, 07:19 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the advice, but I do intend to stay below GTS power levels. I will be selecting my tune based on that restriction. I'm doing this because I live in the Denver area and often drive in the mountains, where pressure ratios can get sky high.

o if I don't exceed stock GTS power levels--or boost (18.25 psi)--do you think I need the atermarket diverter valves?

And what about the aftermarket air/oil separator?
Old 03-23-2024, 08:22 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Thanks for the advice, but I do intend to stay below GTS power levels. I will be selecting my tune based on that restriction. I'm doing this because I live in the Denver area and often drive in the mountains, where pressure ratios can get sky high.

o if I don't exceed stock GTS power levels--or boost (18.25 psi)--do you think I need the atermarket diverter valves?
You don't need them per se, but remember that if they do go bad you're going to incur more expense replacing them than if you just did them as part of changing the turbos. Like I say, it's more insurance than anything else. If you're on a tight budget, then go ahead and leave them out. Chances are you'll be OK. Speaking of tunes, which tune are you planning on using?

And what about the aftermarket air/oil separator?
Meh. I don't have one and I track. Some people swear by them, but I just don't see the need.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:39 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

My GTS only had an OTS COBB stage 1 tune and I was doing a whilst I was in there, change. We were shocked to see one had already failed.

They are notorious for failure across many platforms, as the spring has to fight boost. Whereas aftermarket ones, boost helps keep them closed and they open off boost.

The former is setup to fail. Its only a matter of time.

AOS is also a when you get around to it. Which I haven’t done yet If you do regular track maintenance its less important.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:00 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,245 Likes on 628 Posts

They fail on stock motors. They fail faster at higher than stock boost levels, particularly with larger turbos running 20+ psi. Sooner or later you’ll be replacing them. The aftermarket units are pretty much same price as OEM, but the aftermarket ones will last longer on high hp cars and then are designed to be rebuilt at home (easy). If you already have the fascia off, it is about 30 min each side to remove the IC cage and replace the DV. Otherwise, you’ll have to remove the fascia to get at it, which isn’t difficult but does add a good 1.5-2 hr to the process (remove/reinstall)
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
cbredesen (03-24-2024), DR911s (03-29-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 01:31 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

If you ever hold a stock one in your hands and mess around with it, you'll notice it has a relatively flimsy rubber diaphragm. It will fail at some point.
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: How often do stock diverter valves fail?