Sponsored by:

High gloss trim help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 01:32 PM
chalker911s
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High gloss trim help please

Hello just finished building a new 911 carerra S and have the Build date.

One last question I need help with please. Going with chalk exterior with gt spyder wheels. As you may know the spyder wheels come only in satin black finish (I assume somewhat matte finish?)

salesman advised us to do high gloss black window trim. First, I want to make sure that you all agree and that this does not conflict with the satin black finish on the wheels. Also if we are doing the high gloss black window trim then what about the undersurface of the side mirrors. I don’t have a good feel for what the standard finish is and so with this combination do I need to pay the extra money to put high gloss black also in the side mirrors?

we are also doing the glass panoramic roof if that helps further.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:59 PM
JLCarrera
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

992? I think this is the wrong forum... This is the forum for those of us who (i) can't afford a 992, (ii) say that prefer a 991 (which often is due to (i)), and/or (iii) don't have sufficient authority to effect such purchase without repercusions.

Last edited by JLCarrera; 02-28-2024 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sledge911 (03-03-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 03:31 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by chalker911s
Hello just finished building a new 911 carerra S and have the Build date.

One last question I need help with please. Going with chalk exterior with gt spyder wheels. As you may know the spyder wheels come only in satin black finish (I assume somewhat matte finish?)

salesman advised us to do high gloss black window trim. First, I want to make sure that you all agree and that this does not conflict with the satin black finish on the wheels. Also if we are doing the high gloss black window trim then what about the undersurface of the side mirrors. I don’t have a good feel for what the standard finish is and so with this combination do I need to pay the extra money to put high gloss black also in the side mirrors?

we are also doing the glass panoramic roof if that helps further.
Choice of forum aside, that gloss black trim on a lot of marques tends to scratch really easily and look terrible. If it's all painted metal you're probably OK but the B pillar plastic in piano black is horrendous, sometimes even from the factory (not sure about Porsches but just about all cars are like this). I would personally not want gloss black but the RS Spyder wheels are gorgeous.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:19 PM
DWS369
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

You will stop seeing the high gloss back trim outside around the windows after a very short space of time. It's great initially but, for me there are better things to spend on. Enjoy Your car.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Choice of forum aside, that gloss black trim on a lot of marques tends to scratch really easily and look terrible. If it's all painted metal you're probably OK but the B pillar plastic in piano black is horrendous, sometimes even from the factory (not sure about Porsches but just about all cars are like this). I would personally not want gloss black but the RS Spyder wheels are gorgeous.
Gloss black trim came on the RS3 I have, and I optioned it on the Taycan to match the wheels and other trim. I noticed it scratches about the same as anything else, but it also polishes up just fine with a bit of Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Likewise, normal trim can fade or stain, but there are compounds to restore the black color to those pieces. I use a Pinnacle Matte Ceramic coating on the standard trim, which protects and restores color, but if it’s really faded I use this trim restorer (best imho): https://trimrestorer.com/products/solution-finish-1oz

It’s more about how you maintain and care for it regardless of the trim. Nothing lasts forever if you don’t care for it.

Edit to add one thing, what I like most about the gloss black trim, it doesn’t have to be covered with painters tape when doing a paint correction. If you don’t tape up standard trim the polishing compound can be a pain to clean off (they make product for that too of course lol).

Last edited by MingusDew; 02-29-2024 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: High gloss trim help please