991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me down? Or not ... last VW GTI with manual vs my 991.1 with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024 | 12:17 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Have driven two Rs now ... both manual, No DSG in the two locally.

Drove GTI with DSG ... every time I touched the electric shaver I was weirded out - didn't like it. Might have been different if the shifter/shaver was more like a shifter than a shaver. And the paddles weren't like plastic switches.

The manual made me feel good! I think giving up 3/4 second to 60 mph is a small price to pay ... now, if I was commuting on the WDC beltway ...

Last edited by RennListUser01; 03-05-2024 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rugu6869 (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024 | 09:32 AM
gerlewis
Track Day

I had a manual mk7 GTI with short-shift kit, and now have a 991.1 Carrera PDK.

The Golf was okay. Did everything right.

The 911 is great
Old 03-05-2024 | 05:22 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Buy the R

with the APR plus stage 1 tune the vehicle rocks. I prefer the 7.5 interior to the new ones. Put on summer tires and you will be very surprised how fun this car is in the twisties. With the tune the manual is as fast as the DSG.

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
Have driven two Rs now ... both manual, No DSG in the two locally.

Drove GTI with DSG ... every time I touched the electric shaver I was weirded out - didn't like it. Might have been different if the shifter/shaver was more like a shifter than a shaver. And the paddles weren't like plastic switches.

The manual made me feel good! I think giving up 3/4 second to 60 mph is a small price to pay ... now, if I was commuting on the WDC beltway ...
Old 03-05-2024 | 05:24 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default I have a 2019 MT

and there were no recalls on mine. The shifting is perfect.

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
Neglected to mention that…DSG! I didn’t have the patience or confidence to roll the dice again on another manual, given that the problem seemed unresolved and even VW couldn’t put their finger on what was causing it. I believe there was a recall for 2019 manuals after I sold mine back, if I recall. I love the GTI in manual. Both my wife and I kinda wish it was a manual. But at the time, needed a car, wanted a GTI, and the DSG is its own bit of sporting fun. Like a baby PDK. All that said, GTI’s are just a hoot to drive, road trip in, camp from, and even take to the city. You park it anywhere. Good luck—I doubt you’ll be unhappy with one. It’s the perfect 911 companion.

Quick Reply: Talk me down? Or not ... last VW GTI with manual vs my 991.1 with PDK