Am I overthinking this? Wheel mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 09:29 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
lol..WTF
They did the same on my previous two SL’s because they rode too low to clear their regular lifts.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:38 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MPawelek
The guys in Brooklyn do this as well except they don't bring the wheels back!
The following 3 users liked this post by DBH:
dak911 (02-03-2024), shyamvenky (02-02-2024), timothymoffat (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:21 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Places like Discount Tire, Costco or any tire store stress me out ! It is really luck of the draw. All it takes is one time of them jacking up your 911 under the exhaust and ... you'll never go back to one. I've been burned. Unless you have a specific place or tech who is good. But even then, you get a different careless tech, etc ...

There's probably another option besides the dealer or the tire shops. In most cities now, there is a mobile service or two that is mobile and comes to your house. Easily findable thru the car guys, car clubs, Avants, etc. I think of it as a pit crew in my own driveway. It's more expensive, but they are absolutely damage free and promise damage free service, car guys, and there is zero issue. They do all my tires. Wheels. Land Rovers, Porsches (vintage and newer), vintage Mercedes...

Here is Honey Bee Tire last week at our house in Portland (where the Land Rovers are kept) -- they swap tires on my fast cars, they swap winter/summer tires, they swap my offroad/onroad tires on a Defender. Might be worth a look. The people who start these businesses are generally the good techs from wherever, and they are car enthusiasts. I have another one I use in San Francisco as well, same type of service.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 02-01-2024 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:38 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Originally Posted by MPawelek
They did the same on my previous two SL’s because they rode too low to clear their regular lifts.
I'd just go to place that can do things properly then.

Floating a $150k car with four jacks on an incline isn't the way.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:45 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'd just go to place that can do things properly then.

Floating a $150k car with four jacks on an incline isn't the way.
100% agree. Or take the wheels off and take it there, watch them mount/balance and bring it back. that's what i do with the 87 and started doing with the later cars.

Took the cayman in last year to do the back wheels and they jacked up the car on an incline. no chokes. nothing. luckily the car didn't roll.

"treated like royalty"......maybe the customer service interaction part, but quality and safety of work.....no better than a Kia.
The following users liked this post:
SConn (02-02-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:48 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
100% agree. Or take the wheels off and take it there, watch them mount/balance and bring it back. that's what i do with the 87 and started doing with the later cars.

Took the cayman in last year to do the back wheels and they jacked up the car on an incline. no chokes. nothing. luckily the car didn't roll.

"treated like royalty"......maybe the customer service interaction part, but quality and safety of work.....no better than a Kia.
That's what I do with my 993.

GT3 with CLs is another story unfortunately.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:03 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 187 Posts

I will say to be careful with the balancing if the hub of the wheel is deep as "nut" they use to secure the wheel to the machine will cause a nice circle in the paint of the wheel.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:21 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

I used a Tire Rack recommended mobile installer and they did a fantastic job. The name of the company was Tread Connection. The equipment carried in the installation van was the same of tire mounting and balancing equipment that is used at the local lambo dealer (Corgi) which is basically touchless to the actual wheel.

If you advance to about the 7:00 mark on this video, you'll see a demonstration of the equipment used by the mobile installer. In this video, he was just plugging a tire puncture, but I've had this same guy out to replace all the tires on my vehicle before too.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:25 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Beautiful Targa. Hope he found all the blts scattered around.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:53 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I used a Tire Rack recommended mobile installer and they did a fantastic job. The name of the company was Tread Connection. The equipment carried in the installation van was the same of tire mounting and balancing equipment that is used at the local lambo dealer (Corgi) which is basically touchless to the actual wheel.

If you advance to about the 7:00 mark on this video, you'll see a demonstration of the equipment used by the mobile installer. In this video, he was just plugging a tire puncture, but I've had this same guy out to replace all the tires on my vehicle before too.
https://youtu.be/51J16386OLs
I can second that, they were out at my building changing tires on a 488 a few weeks ago. I walked by as I was curious and the did have a very nice setup and were very careful.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Coalmining_smuf
I'm fretting over wheel damage and them mounting it correctly to my car.
I never take any of my cars in for a tire change, and just bring the wheels in.

And prior to all that, I first check if they have a brand name aka $$$ contact-less tire changing machine and if they let me into the shop (they do).

On my motorcycles, I change my own tires and balance them.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
The equipment carried in the installation van was the same of tire mounting and balancing equipment that is used at the local lambo dealer (Corgi) which is basically touchless to the actual wheel.
Exactly what my tire dealer had.

Quick Reply: Am I overthinking this? Wheel mounting