Sponsored by:

2024 Launch CRB5001 tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 04:32 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Question 2024 Launch CRB5001 tool

Has anyone on RL used the 2024 Launch CRB5001 tool ($139 Amazon) to register the battery on a 2019 or later 911?

In 2021 I purchased Autel Maxi AP200 tool ($58 Amazon) to register batteries on Porsches. At the time, you could select one manufacturer (not one specific vehicle!) And would have lifetime updates and subscriptions. I successfully used this to register the battery in my 2016 Porsche Macan Turbo. I planned to use to register the battery on my 2019 Carrera S, in a a few years. I tried for hours last Friday & emailed/called Autel & finally got a reply today.
“The coverage for that tool, only goes up to 2017. For newer coverage you would need a MX900 and up for 1996-2023 coverage.”

Looking at the original documentation that came with it in early 2021, and it says absolutely nothing about not working on cars after 2017! This was sold in 2021! "Access all modules for your selected manufacturer.”

So, I don't want to buy another Autel tool. (MX900 $599 on Amazon) I don't trust them.

I don't do enough work on my cars to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a better tool that can do all kinds of things that I will never do.

So, I’m tempted to buy the Launch tool to register the 911 new battery.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B27CXSVX/?coliid=I2H0FFM92VHJL&colid=2KS1WKSB739N2&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B27CXSVX/?coliid=I2H0FFM92VHJL&colid=2KS1WKSB739N2&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 01-25-2024, 04:24 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I purchased that Launch tool shortly after I posted here and it was delivered today and I successfully used it to register the battery in my 911+ I checked to make sure I could hook it up to my Macan and have access to the same things.

I paid $119 ($20 Coupon)
6 Special Resets including Oil Reset, Brake Reset, ABS Bleeding Reset, TPMS Reset, Battery Reset, Throttle Position Reset.
FULL OBDII FUNCTIONS
2024 NEWEST VERSION + LIFETIME FREE UPDATE

When I got it the manual said to first update it and it had over 40 updates! It hooks up to your Wi-Fi and does the updates that way. You recharge the battery via a USB port.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:50 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 71 Posts

I replaced the battery on my 2014 911 base a few years ago… I didn’t do any kind of registration and have no issues with the car.

Would you mind explaining what you’re trying to accomplish?
Old 01-28-2024, 11:43 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
I replaced the battery on my 2014 911 base a few years ago… I didn’t do any kind of registration and have no issues with the car.

Would you mind explaining what you’re trying to accomplish?
Yup, exactly, no need to register or change anything if you’re replacing with the same type of battery. If you’re changing from AGM to LiPo you need to let the computer know so it’ll change the charging profile, but if someone is swapping AGM with AGM nothing is needed.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:55 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I changed my OEM 80 Ah battery to a 95Ah AGM battery.
Many manufacturers recommend registering the new battery with the car’s computer system. The car’s charging system will charge the battery differently when it “knows” the battery is new vs. old or different capacity (Ah) vs old capacity. Certainly when different battery technology (AGM vs. FLA, EFB, etc.)

It is possible that the new battery may be overcharged & have a significantly shorter life when the registration is not done. Possibly damage to the alternator as well.

Some people think this is all B.S. & merely a way for manufacturers to charge customers a lot for what used to be very simply swapping a car battery.

I test my battery every few months with a capacitance tester.
S.O.H. declines over time. This test is better than the old load test.
CCA now/Spec CCA = State of Health. As resistance increases over time, the CCA decreases. Porsche OEM batteries use the European spec “EN A” instead of CCA. Similar but, not identical. Typically a battery tester will call a battery bad when SOH drops below 80%.

I have read on many forums that AGM batteries, unlike FLA batteries experience sudden failure. No warning signs such a slow crank, etc.
I have not experienced this.

I changed/registered my Macan Turbo battery after 7 years. Had no symptoms but SOH had dropped to 55%. Replaced OEM Varta 850 EN A with Champion 95 Ah 900 CCA. Champion (No longer made) is manufactured by Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls, same company that makes Varta. They make many batteries for different companies & only the label changes, not the battery.

I changed/registered my 911 battery after 5 years. SOH had dropped to 60%. Was Banner 80 Ah, 800 EN A. Replaced with Everstart 95 Ah, 900 CCA, Made by Clarios. 911/991.2 has 3 different battery sizes that will fit in the adjustable battery tray.

https://www.midtronics.com/blog/batt...-how-to-do-it/

https://www.bannerbatterien.com/en/B...stop-batteries

“How important is it to register the new after-market battery in BMW vehicles?”
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...n-bmw-vehicles

“Why Is It Important to Reset Battery Registration?”

“Some newer vehicles are equipped with a battery management system (BMS) that allows the electrical system to adapt as the battery ages so your electronics work efficiently and correctly at all stages of the car battery life cycle. The BMS also modifies the charging system to charge the battery properly as the battery degrades over time.”

“What Happens if I Don't Register My New Battery?

Installing a new battery in your vehicle that requires registration without completing the registration process can result in:

Overcharging - The charging system may overcharge the battery causing excess gassing. On flooded batteries that require watering, this could cause the electrolyte levels to drop, exposing the plates to essentially kill the battery. On sealed batteries, this could cause the battery to burst, causing considerable damage to the vehicle or even you if you are near it when it happens.

Undercharging - The BMS could undercharge the new battery causing sulfation. Lead sulfite crystals will accumulate on the plates, resulting in loss of power, longer charging times and shorter life, to name just a few consequences of battery sulfation.

Use more fuel - If the BMS isn't reset to recognize the new battery, the start-stop system may not work properly in your car causing the engine to continue to run and use more fuel when stopped at red lights.

Major electrical problems - Failing to register a new battery could result in blown fuses, system failures and electrical system glitches. Many of these problems will be accompanied by warning lights on your dashboard. In some rare cases, you could even have issues with starting the vehicle.”

https://www.batteriesplus.com/blog/p...#:~:text=Major electrical problems - Failing to,issues with starting the vehicle.

Many more examples of why to register a new battery on those cars that require this.

Many comments by those who do not believe & say they didn't register & their cars are “Fine.”

Rather than take a chance, I chose to not pay the exorbitant dealer charges to replace the battery. Buy a relatively inexpensive tool to DIY. These tools can also reset the oil change nag screen and many other things that many DIY mechanics do.

Quick Reply: 2024 Launch CRB5001 tool