Sponsored by:

Recommended ramp for driveway

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 04:37 PM
tonylc
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommended ramp for driveway

I still occasionally scrape and would like a more fool proof way such that going in and out is less stressful. Anyone have a strategy or ramp recommendation

​​​​

Old 12-30-2023, 04:47 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

You have an unfortunate driveway. I’m guessing you still have an issue if go nose in first to garage and then back it out? Do you also have lowering springs installed?

Last edited by SilverSFR; 12-30-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:59 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a similar issue on my black driveway : the paving company that seal coated my driveway built me a ramp with cold asphalt
Old 12-30-2023, 05:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by tonylc
Anyone have a strategy or ramp recommendation.
That look like a 3" drop from the garage to the driveway.

They have some plastic ramps with about a 3" rise that I use to get my trolley jack under my lift points and jack pads. That might work. That or some 2" x 12" lumber.

A bit late, but I used some 1" wide black body-side moulding that I applied under the edge of my bumper in three sections. to avoid scrapes of the bumper.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:43 PM
tonylc
AutoX

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
You have an unfortunate driveway. I’m guessing you still have an issue if go nose in first to garage and then back it out? Do you also have lowering springs installed?
Yeah nose first definitely won't make it. It has SPASM which makes it lower. Definitely something I overlooked when I bought the car.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:43 PM
tonylc
AutoX

Originally Posted by doctj
I had a similar issue on my black driveway : the paving company that seal coated my driveway built me a ramp with cold asphalt
Can you send me a picture of what that looks like?
Old 12-30-2023, 05:49 PM
tonylc
AutoX

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That look like a 3" drop from the garage to the driveway.

They have some plastic ramps with about a 3" rise that I use to get my trolley jack under my lift points and jack pads. That might work. That or some 2" x 12" lumber.

A bit late, but I used some 1" wide black body-side moulding that I applied under the edge of my bumper in three sections. to avoid scrapes of the bumper.
The issue that I haven't figured out is how does the car come back down after it gets on the ramp. Do you mean placing the lumber long ways? Something like this?

https://m.vevor.com/loading-ramps-c_...04#goodsDetail
Old 12-30-2023, 06:29 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,196 Likes on 3,027 Posts

We used Bridjit Curb ramps at our old place. Made out of recycled tires, they're heavy and don't go anywhere. IMHO, they're aesthetically superior to other solutions/workarounds.

https://www.bridjit.com/

Old 12-30-2023, 06:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

The issue that I haven't figured out is how does the car come back down after it gets on the ramp.
You place the high end of the plastic ramp at the end of the garage slab so that it ends up sitting flush with the garage. What is the gap from the garage slab to the driveway in inches or cm?

I have a similar issue where my garage slab is at least 2" higher than the paved driveway that sunk over time. My GTS has the full Porsche suspension option sitting 20mm lower. I might cut out 3 feet of driveway, level it and install paving stones. And when pulling out of my sloped driveway onto the street (I back out), I angle the front of my GTS out over the curb. I make the front end turn when exiting over the curb. No scrapes at all...I'm damn picky.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:41 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Are also used Bridjit ramps (mentioned in post #8) … they work great for certain types of driveway to road transitions, not so great for other transition types (shapes). They explain it pretty well on the website.

I have researched them prior to buying my car. And when I had to buy a new house this year I ruled out several houses because of very steep driveways (which would’ve been a nightmare Live with or to fix).

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 02:37 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Can you send me a picture of what that looks like?
attached

Old 01-09-2024, 10:42 PM
tonylc
AutoX

Thanks all, there's no immediate drop between the garage and drive way, there's more of an inverted dip, and the aluminum sheet smoothes out the angle but it's not enough.

For now I added more pressure treated 2x4 and stuck them under the aluminum sheet. It's definitely helping, so now I have a better idea of where support is needed. I still need to add a bit more 2x4, but that is now introducing a new gap between the aluminum sheet and the driveway). Next step is to find a longer board (maybe a smaller pieces of plywood that I can easily move in/out as needed). Fortunately it's not a daily driver otherwise this would drive me crazy.

Last edited by tonylc; 01-09-2024 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:01 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

My front lip used to scrape when exiting my work garage ramp, even when trying to exit at a slight angle - without FAL. It bothered me so much I stopped taking the car to work.

Not sure what the other topic was about, but another member posted to push the PASM button. I was skeptical, but tried it. Never scraped since.

Not suggesting it makes a huge difference, but enough to stop passers by grimacing as they watched me trying to exit the ramp.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:20 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 587 Likes on 299 Posts

I had a similar issue (also have that lower bumper). These were my savior. Don't go for one of those cheaper ones. These bend around the lip better, and are a solid gloss black viewed from the front. They go together nearly seamless all around the entire lip, and looks factory. I just got my bottom lip redone and a new set is waiting once I get the PPF put back on.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:44 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

I use a Bridjit Curb ramp also. Still have to angle properly but it works as I don't have front lift system. My driveway is very steep. The Bridjit system was the best low cost alternative about $400 with shipping.

Quick Reply: Recommended ramp for driveway