991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MR12VOLT Unit impacts key fob distance

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023 | 11:48 AM
Autobahnschreck
Advanced

I believe the key transmits/receives at 315 MHz (US) or 433 MHz (Europe). Bluetooth and WiFi both use frequencies around 2,500 MHz , some WIFI channels even 5,000 MHz. It is hard to believe either Bluetooth or WiFI should interfere with the key, unless its receiver is "saturated" by an extremely strong bluetooth/WiFI signal, e.g. MR 12 Volt built-in antennas adjacent to the cars key receiver.
In the 991 manual the advice for unlocking doors despite an almost discharged key battery is to place the key on the windscreen close to the passenger side A-pillar . This should be close to the position of the key transceiver antenna.
That makes me wonder if the foregoing work done on the dashboard somehow might have impaired the transmission/reception of the keys RF signal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Autobahnschreck:
Foosh (12-01-2023), Larson E. Rapp (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023 | 12:06 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

BTW I did change the battery before I took it in for the seat swap. Saw a post about putting in the battery in wrong direction that SUPPOSEDLY clears memory on the fob...no joy.

From what you said the antenna is in A pillar. The part number for new dash is compatible with my car - only difference is its real leather. It's weird that turning off MRVOLT resolves issue.

Porsche just left me a message and they are ordering a part needed to take the euro out of the seat...lol. Basically, make it to US standard.
So, I can't do any experimentation till she comes home to roost.

Give an excuse to buy the newer version. lol
Old 12-01-2023 | 12:58 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cicsprog
BTW I did change the battery before I took it in for the seat swap. Saw a post about putting in the battery in wrong direction that SUPPOSEDLY clears memory on the fob...no joy.
Also,

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023 | 01:41 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

lol...I was desperate
Old 12-03-2023 | 06:47 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cicsprog
I have a MR12VOLT PCM 3.1 unit in Porsche 991.1 2014. Its location is under the dash on drivers side in upper left corner near firewall. I've noticed my remote key entry distance has been affected. I have to be leaning against the car to have the key fob open the doors. When I unpower MR12VOLT PCM key fob works like it did before. Any help would be appreciated! I sent an email to MR12VOLT.

This is nonsense. I instl these units several times a week and have had one in my 16 cayenne with keyless entry and drive for almost 2 years now. I have never heard of anyone who has had issue like this. Very reasonable to make a topic with this kind of statement.
​​​​​​

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 12-03-2023 | 12:22 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Ya..it’s strange. But the car is still at the dealer while they get a part for the new seats. So, I can’t mess with MR 12. I called dealer and asked them to do a reset. That was Friday, so they haven’t done it yet to see if maybe resetting internal bits might clear issue.

As I mentioned, I had a leather dash but in. I’m in IT and over the years, usually the last change is highly suspect in the IT world. When it comes home or after the reset, I will have some time to check connections and verify that unplugging does resolve fob problem.

I’ll post back as things develop.

Last edited by cicsprog; 12-03-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2023 | 12:44 PM
the981blues
Rennlist Member

Did you ever get a resolution? I am having this same problem with the iSudar kit.
Old 12-09-2023 | 12:46 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ssmith96
Did you ever get a resolution? I am having this same problem with the iSudar kit.
This is not an issue with the Mr12Volt product.
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:03 PM
the981blues
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
This is not an issue with the Mr12Volt product.
Bold statement to make considering unplugging the kit fixes it for him, and the same for me with my iSudar.

You're the only one here with a vested interest in it not being the kit considering that you sell them.
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:16 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

I don't recall OP stating that he personally verified that unplugging Mr12 solved the problem. He reported the "dealer" told him that.

I've had dealers tell me all kinds of falsehoods fabricated to shift blame elsewhere.
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:18 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

The seats needed a special part that has to come from the fatherland...waiting. I will post back once she is home
Old 12-09-2023 | 02:22 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bold statement to make considering unplugging the kit fixes it for him, and the same for me with my iSudar.

You're the only one here with a vested interest in it not being the kit considering that you sell them.
Yes, it's a bold statement because I not only sell and install these units, I have them in my own vehicles. Not once have I seen this issue. It is possible that during installation something was moved/damaged but installed properly this is not the case.
Old 12-09-2023 | 03:41 PM
the981blues
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's a bold statement because I not only sell and install these units, I have them in my own vehicles. Not once have I seen this issue. It is possible that during installation something was moved/damaged but installed properly this is not the case.
So because you don't have a problem, no one else can? I'm not the only one with this problem on the iSudar thread, but 99% of people seem to have no issue.

What could be damaged during install that magically is fixed when you unplug the board? The sensor isn't even in that location.
Old 12-09-2023 | 03:48 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So because you don't have a problem, no one else can? I'm not the only one with this problem on the iSudar thread, but 99% of people seem to have no issue.

What could be damaged during install that magically is fixed when you unplug the board? The sensor isn't even in that location.
I don't install isudar, I remove them from cars along with their endless clones.

I am not couch mechanic. I have a ton more first experience than 99% of users of mr12volt. That's how.

When 1 person, out of 10,000, makes a statement about a product as a whole, based soly on their own second hand experience, it's safe to say that their experience is an outlier and not the norm.

​​​​​​
Old 12-09-2023 | 03:54 PM
the981blues
Rennlist Member

I don't install isudar, I remove them from cars along with their endless clones.

I am not couch mechanic. I have a ton more first experience than 99% of users of mr12volt. That's how.

When 1 person, out of 10,000, makes a statement about a product as a whole, based soly on their own second hand experience, it's safe to say that their experience is an outlier and not the norm.

​​​​​​
No one's saying it's not an outlier experience, but that doesn't mean it CAN'T be caused by the board.

Quick Reply: MR12VOLT Unit impacts key fob distance