Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the dealer “see” the maintenance or repairs I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023 | 12:42 PM
rjpricejr
AutoX

Default Does the dealer “see” the maintenance or repairs I do?

Was wondering if I do maintenance or service on my 991.2 and use a scanner to reset or indicate a part was replaced, would it show up on the service history that a dealer would see? Also is there any method to get self done repairs or maintenance into the Carfax database? I’m guessing I just need to keep receipts and detailed documentation of what I do for a potential buyer.
Old 10-26-2023 | 01:28 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

With regards to Carfax, my understanding from the last time I looked into it, you can enter self performed maintenance into their system but it’s only viewable by yourself and won’t show up when people pull a carfax report for your car. This seemed worthless to me, as I already keep a spreadsheet and notebook for each of my cars. Perhaps they’ve changed the system and updated it to integrate personally entered data. Perhaps someone who has looked at it recently can confirm the current state of their system.
Old 10-26-2023 | 02:03 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I do all my own maintenance and upload all documents on Carfax. They have a great app that makes it very easy.
Old 10-26-2023 | 05:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjpricejr
I’m guessing I just need to keep receipts and detailed documentation of what I do for a potential buyer.
That is all you need. I am used to it from way back when it came to aircraft maintenance logs. Besides, it you generate you own, it cannot be lost any easier than it being on some other site.
Old 10-26-2023 | 05:54 PM
VII7
Racer

The dealer neither sees nor cares about your maintenance. In Porsche's case they can't even see the maintenance by other dealers!
Old 10-27-2023 | 12:17 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

I keep meticulous, thorough maintenance records. I recently had my car appraised for a trade in, and dealer looked at my book and basically said "Nice work and I believe you, but it's worthless to us".
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolpertinger:
2hot (03-16-2024), shammerman (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023 | 12:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I keep meticulous, thorough maintenance records. I recently had my car appraised for a trade in, and dealer looked at my book and basically said "Nice work and I believe you, but it's worthless to us".
So his parts invoices are worthless as well. Bringing in a car to a shop, dealer or independent, how do I know they even changed the oil and that is worthless to me. LOL

This is what happens when you let the fox loose in the hen house...
Luckily not my car or I'd be in jail, but a friends 993. As received. That black metal panel was one piece before it went in. Some people should really take up basket weaving.

Quick Reply: Does the dealer “see” the maintenance or repairs I do?