Steering wheel persistently off center to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 10:23 AM
fairchild9898
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel persistently off center to the right

Hi all

Have a bit of a frustrating issue. Steering wheel on my 991.1 carerra S favors the right buy a few degrees, consistently turns clockwise going over bumps. Seems easier to turn right than left. 3 dealer alignments, including a road test has not fixed it. On the last one they adjusted the tie rods, now the car pulls more to the left but the steering wheel remains essentially unchanged. Took it back since I did not have confidence that they would spend the time to fix it. Alignment printouts seem fine. Newish tires (<2000 miles), pressures all good. Unclear if this was happening before new tires as I put them on when i bought the car about 2 years ago.

Car otherwise is perfect.

Looking for any ideas. Any recommendations for a shop that can get this right in the Boston or greater Boston area would also be appreciated, with a very high attention to detail and will actually road test the car before and after.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-23-2023, 11:22 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

if the alignment is correct then the usual suspects are worn parts, bent parts or incorrect or mis-matched replacement parts.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:20 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

drive in the left lane of a divided highway or similar road where the entire paved surface is dedicated to going one direction. does that change the behaviour? if so, it's just the crown of the road.

otherwise, I would recommend not going to the dealership for anything that isn't warranty work -- that is, unless you like setting money on fire. the 911 is not special and does not require a dealership technician to work on, especially for alignments. paying more than $120-180 is absolutely criminal for aligning these cars.

the steering wheel being centered is one of the basic steps of an alignment, so it's kind of bizarre that you've had multiple alignments done and the steering wheel has remained off-center. that says to me that they put it on the rack, saw everything was in the green (which is a huge range, by the way), and said "yep it's good" and gave it back to you. very common thing to do, especially in volume shops.

if you want to try for another alignment, go to a race shop and get an alignment. mention the symptoms you're trying to get rid of. they'll check the applicable parts to make sure they are good and then perform an alignment.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

If I understand your post correctly,the steering wheel is straight if you go on a smooth road in the middle lane with no crown left or right,correct? It just favors one side...
The wheel returning to center is a caster adjustment : I'm not an alignment guy,don't even know if caster is adjustable on that car...
Try finding a good race shop that does alignments on these type of cars : they will check for loose parts and perform a better alignment than the dealer.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:18 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 598 Posts

I mean. You could just take the steering wheel off and re position it assuming the car is actually aligned LOL
Old 10-23-2023, 03:04 PM
RPA911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

My steering wheel was not centered correctly after my last alignment. Alignment was perfect but the wheel didn't sit at 12 o'clock when going down a straight smooth road. Took it back and they had the steering wheel adjusted in 5 minutes and has been perfect ever since.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:00 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

Are you the original owner? Maybe someone replaced the steering wheel and mounted it off a few degrees.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

What tires are you running?

I'd swap the front tires around and see if the car then favors the left side vs the right.

Could be a bad tire.