991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023 | 10:49 PM
Tbounds
Racer

How many miles should I expect to get out of front brakes and rotors ?
like have said , I don’t track my care , don’t daily drive but when I do drive some spirited driving on curves which I do brake hard some times . I don’t push hard enough to stand on brakes before curves usually . I would like to think I am the average 911 driver .
Old 10-23-2023 | 11:59 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

it very much depends on driving habits. just keep an eye on them. over 5-10k miles you'll get an idea of how fast you're burning through them.

anecdotally, according to my maintenance logs, my 2017 lasted 48k on the rear pads, while the front pads were still at 7mm at 57k miles. it's pretty normal to go through rears faster than fronts in a spiritedly street-driven 991 due to the stability control system.
Old 10-24-2023 | 10:25 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Thanks that helps
Old 10-30-2023 | 12:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Never have to pay for rotors again?

Originally Posted by awittig
I ended up getting factory replacement rotors from FCP Euro, so i will never have to pay for rotors again.
I priced out front and rear OEM rotors from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. No CA Sales Tax and uncertain if they pay the freight: $1,323.79.

Next I priced out the same parts from FPC Euro, and I am pretty certain these are NOT OEM, $1,247, with free freight and lifetime replacement. So where are these rotors made? And does this make any difference to run non-OEM quality wise?

My street OEM brake rotors have generally lasted 25,000 miles or greater with 0 track exposure. For track usage with aggressive pads, rotor life will be dramatically reduced.

For a 4,000 mile a year street driver like me, a rotor change would occur every 5 - 6 years, with non-track usage. Sure free replacement rotors are an attractive "hook". If I wanted OEM rotors, I would just "buck up" and spend the $1,300 premium for Porsche OEM rotors. I have a thing about sticking with OEM Porsche parts, realizing that Porsche doesn't really manufacture the rotors, they source them, as you would expect. And if truth be known, I will also pass on Porsche OEM: I prefer GiroDisc 2 piece rotors.

When tracking a car, I would stay away from drilled OEM rotors, stock or aftermarket. They have a propensity for cracks to develop. When a crack eventually wanders connecting two drilled holes, many say that it's time to replace those sets of rotors, front, back or both, regardless of rotor thickness. For the track, I have preferred slotted 2 piece floating rotors from GiroDisc. They run cooler and are about 5 lbs. a corner lighter (Less unsprung weight) than OEM or aftermarket drilled rotors. Lacking the drilled holes, the GiroDiscs are crack resistant.

Let me confess, the front rotors on my street 2017 GTS are now GiroDisc, and soon that will be the case on the rears. The technical benefits provided by GiroRotors, more than make up for their 2X expense over stock drilled rotors, and as a bonus, they look so cool! I get my GiroDisc rotors from Clark at Apex Performance in S, Carolina, excellent service and support; the best!

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-30-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2023 | 02:17 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll be the annoying Vendor coming in trying to sell you my years of experience and knowledge of selling brakes.

We have 1 set of closeout Girodisc straight slot front/rear rotors available for you 991.1 S with iron brakes. 20% savings.

We have tons of pads to pick from.

It's not clear what you want for an upgrade so give us a call at 919-420-0021, we're old school and talk on the phone still.

--Aaron

https://knsbrakes.com/products/car/1...learance+Items

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
The following users liked this post:
F355bob (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 08:53 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I'll be the annoying Vendor coming in trying to sell you my years of experience and knowledge of selling brakes.

We have 1 set of closeout Girodisc straight slot front/rear rotors available for you 991.1 S with iron brakes. 20% savings.

We have tons of pads to pick from.

It's not clear what you want for an upgrade so give us a call at 919-420-0021, we're old school and talk on the phone still.

--Aaron

https://knsbrakes.com/products/car/1...learance+Items
Aaron is the MAN!!!
Got my Girodisc Rotors and Pagid Pads from him ( Great recommendation for track drivers )
Excellent service, and I will be returning for replacement pads and rotors when those are needed.
Video of the equipment running at Road Atlanta for fun..

Last edited by snake eyes; 10-31-2023 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KNSBrakes (11-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors