Sponsored by:

Custom Ducktail 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 09:41 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 186 Posts

Cabon Fiber in Primer, take my money.

On a serious note Any considerations for the air flow to the intercoolers? Since we are no longer raising the "wing" are their any ducts that can be cut into the base to allow more airflow to the intercoolers?

I love the look of it and can't wait to see the final product.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:42 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
The ducktails aren't for downforce. It's to REDUCE drag.
They can be, whatever we design them to be.

I want one for downforce and to scoop extra air.

I fully understand others just want the look, when in fact they will restrict air and perform worse than stock. I’m not interested in that at all.

Its very easy for someone to build in a wider mouth at entry to scoop more air, and then extend them out into the clean airflow to create downforce or drag.

With TiAL M800 turbo’s drag is of great benefit. It was a negative to 200hp n/a cars. Its of great benefit to 800+ hp turbo cars.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:48 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

The ducktail was invented to reduce lift, not to reduce drag. According to Paul Frere's Porsche 911 Story, adding the ducktail to the Carrera RS did reduce drag slightly from 0.409 to .397. But the big contribution was to reduce rear lift from 320 to 92 pounds at 152 mph. It also moved the aerodynamic center of pressure six inches rearward, which reduced the car's sensitivity to sidewinds.

The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 12:39 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
The ducktail was invented to reduce lift, not to reduce drag. According to Paul Frere's Porsche 911 Story, adding the ducktail to the Carrera RS did reduce drag slightly from 0.409 to .397. But the big contribution was to reduce rear lift from 320 to 92 pounds at 152 mph. It also moved the aerodynamic center of pressure six inches rearward, which reduced the car's sensitivity to sidewinds.
All great stuff. But this is 2024. Technology has gone ahead leaps and bounds. Surely we can have a custom duck tail that does it all. Produces decent downforce, and increases air flow. It would be nice to have serious downforce without a ridiculously large wing.

I know journalists bang on about the next generation has doubled the downforce without increasing drag, really who cares. Increase drag. These cars has massive power, a little drag will not slow them done. Wind up the downforce, care less about added drag, and screw up the boost.
Looks and Power and Performance. Instead of being a poseur with a car starved from cooling air and no downforce.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 08-20-2024 at 12:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
IRunalot (08-20-2024), thesaintusa (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 09:34 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

I'm happy with reduced lift and some better intercooler airflow. This should work well with simialr aero as @4 Point 0 . I just DO NOTt want a giant wing, I really enjoy a car that is not obviously fast. Moving the center of pressure back is great with the GT3 front and Verus splitter.

My aero work starts ~Q1 so hurry up with this.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (Yesterday), thesaintusa (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 12:16 PM
mcomet
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am researching posts as I am looking for a ducktail for 991.2 gts and it is sad how many posts there are with no real solutions. Seems like there is a market there. Does anyone know if a .1 would fit a .2 gts ? Talking to someone at Werks Reunion this past weekend they had done a custom job to make a .1 work but it sounded expensive and time consuming. I can't believe there are no proper aftermarket ducktails for a .2 available. At least kudos to the OP for making a proper looking setup. Looks great.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomet:
4 Point 0 (Yesterday), IRunalot (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 01:28 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcomet
I am researching posts as I am looking for a ducktail for 991.2 gts and it is sad how many posts there are with no real solutions. Seems like there is a market there. Does anyone know if a .1 would fit a .2 gts ? Talking to someone at Werks Reunion this past weekend they had done a custom job to make a .1 work but it sounded expensive and time consuming. I can't believe there are no proper aftermarket ducktails for a .2 available. At least kudos to the OP for making a proper looking setup. Looks great.
I'm right there with you!

The big issue is the intercooler airflow that is under the wing. No one wants to actually engineer anything just tack on solutions for the .2 cars. Really frustrating.

The solution shown earlier will work if you can get the airflow to the intercoolers.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (Yesterday), mcomet (08-20-2024)
Old Today, 08:37 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
Cabon Fiber in Primer, take my money.

On a serious note Any considerations for the air flow to the intercoolers? Since we are no longer raising the "wing" are their any ducts that can be cut into the base to allow more airflow to the intercoolers?

I love the look of it and can't wait to see the final product.
Airflow to the intercoolers was my primary concern. I took inspiration from the way Porsche has handled this with the 992 (confirming my first inclination) and had the leading edge of the Ducktail raised to provide an air channel to the intercooler inlets. I put thermocouples in the intake tract and have recorded temp drop across the intercoolers in various load conditions. Hope to be doing testing of first unit in Oct.

Joe
The following 2 users liked this post by supercroc:
IRunalot (Today), mcomet (Today)
Old Today, 08:40 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supercroc
Airflow to the intercoolers was my primary concern. I took inspiration from the way Porsche has handled this with the 992 (confirming my first inclination) and had the leading edge of the Ducktail raised to provide an air channel to the intercooler inlets. I put thermocouples in the intake tract and have recorded temp drop across the intercoolers in various load conditions. Hope to be doing testing of first unit in Oct.

Joe
That sounds great and thank you for that detail. This is the first 991.2 ducktail that offers cooling and eliminates that horrid (my opinion, yes some love it but not I) movable wing.

I hope you get this to market soon! I'm a buyer!

Last edited by IRunalot; Today at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom Ducktail 991.2