Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carerra T vs 992 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023 | 05:31 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbredesen
I don't believe this is the case. Of the Carreras, GTS and all the 4- models are wide body in the 991 generation. If I'm wrong here, happy to be corrected.
Sorry, I was talking about the T specifically. In the 991 generation you are correct that the GTS and 4 models are wide body. In the 992 ALL versions are widebody. From the base to the GT3.

After I said this I did a little more research. I'm kind right but kinda not (but mostly not). Here is the explanation I'm going with moving forward. I found this from Johnny Lieberman on FB"

"Moreover, 2WD Carrera and Carrera Ss were all narrow bodies. The 991 came in three widths (AWD cars and the GT3s were an inch wider than standard. Turbo and RS cars were three inches wider. Yes, I’m probably forgetting the Speedster, 50th, and 911R, among others). The 992 will only have two widths (we think) and SURPRISE, the Carrera’s width is identical to 991 medium wides: 72.9-inches."

Last edited by spyderbret; 10-04-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Learned something new.
Old 02-05-2024 | 04:12 PM
drspeed991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I can’t speak to the T but I can speak to comparing the drive of my 991.2 manual S to a few 992 models I’ve driven including a 992 base pdk, 992 S manual, and a 992 GTS PDK. When you get into a 992 after being used to driving a 991.2, the differences in ride are very perceptible. Even the GTS 992 that I drove this week felt more refined, plush, and isolated from the road. It’s easy to say even more soft although the performance is certainly there no question about that. You just feel less connected. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not questioning the improvements in performance from the 992 over the 991. It just loses a sense of feel and engagement. Probably much the same way people who drive older Pre-991 models (air cooled) feel when the go higher in generation. Yes every generation has improvements but it seems to come at the cost of raw driver engagement. After nearly 4 years with my 991.2, I have no strong desire to upgrade to a newer generation (unless it was in a different class altogether like a Sport Classic, a GT3, or even a Dakar. In fact, I’m more interested now in adding a much older 911 to really give me that connection to raw pure 911 driving that could only be had with a truly older design vehicle. But maybe I just have an old soul and find more beauty and nostalgia with the classics.
Agreed on the "feel less connected". I had a 991.2 base carerra and a 992 GTS both stick. Its just my guess, but I think the wider front track of the 992 really settles down the front of the car which may make it feel more stable, but less raw, less rear engined, less 911. And I further would speculate that the move to widen the front axle arose from the need to remain competitive in motorsport. I give BMW motorcycles a huge compliment. They redesigned their most popular model, the GS, and actually made the new bike smaller and lighter. It's a real departure from the norm. Today's BMW 3 series is larger than a 5 series from 20 yrs ago. I would love to see Porsche downsize on the next 911, but it would be the first time ever right?

I was surprised by the exhaust comments that the 992 is better? The intake noise on the 992 GTS resembled a GT car for the last 600 rpms in the range. But aside from that, the startup on the 991 was better and the overrun pops were much better. The particulate filters hurt the sound of the 992 exhaust.

+1 on the original poster's point. You can watch several videos on the 991 GT3 vs 992 GT3 but non on a T back to back.

Regards,
DRP

Last edited by drspeed991; 02-05-2024 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 Carerra T vs 992 Carrera T