Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with low battery and crazy fault issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 05:50 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe your PDK needs a recalibration, and that issue was caused by the earlier battery issues.
The following users liked this post:
DaveinGigHarbor (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 06:22 PM
DaveinGigHarbor
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the new battery in so all is good there. Pushed the car out of the stall and it drove forward out to the street where I parked it so a tow service could get it. Tow service aske what year and make and I told them a 2013 911 Carrera S. They asked for a picture and I sent one. Quoted $550 for a two mile tow. I asked why so much and was told it is because it is an expensive car.

Ended up driving it over to the shop. All codes came back and as before, no reverse. Car goes in to neutral and first gear only. Made for and interesting two mile trip through town in first.

Will report back when the shop is done with working on it for any future readers of this thread.

At this point, I do not believe it had anything to do with the battery, but who knows.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions. Hope to be able to return the favor as I learn more about this car..
Old 09-17-2023, 10:25 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveinGigHarbor
Got the new battery in so all is good there. Pushed the car out of the stall and it drove forward out to the street where I parked it so a tow service could get it. Tow service aske what year and make and I told them a 2013 911 Carrera S. They asked for a picture and I sent one. Quoted $550 for a two mile tow. I asked why so much and was told it is because it is an expensive car.

Ended up driving it over to the shop. All codes came back and as before, no reverse. Car goes in to neutral and first gear only. Made for and interesting two mile trip through town in first.

Will report back when the shop is done with working on it for any future readers of this thread.

At this point, I do not believe it had anything to do with the battery, but who knows.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions. Hope to be able to return the favor as I learn more about this car..
Post the codes. Timing is definitely strange but it will be clear from the codes if the distance sensor is giving you issues
Old 09-18-2023, 01:09 AM
DaveinGigHarbor
Track Day

Car is at the shop and I will post what the issues are when I find out.

I thought maybe when this all started, that it was some issue with the battery. That was when I reached out to the Rennlist people to see if this was a common issue after doing a search. At this point, I am not sure the battery was part of the issue, as the battery was replaced and the same issues reoccurred after clearing the codes. .
Old 09-27-2023, 02:16 PM
DaveinGigHarbor
Track Day

Here is the final result. Appears to not be a battery related issue. Also, the Costco battery that they said was for my car was a standard flooded plate type and my car needs an AGM one. So much for the $120 deal on a new battery.

CLIENT STATES WARNING LIGHTS ARE COMING ON AND CAR WON'T GO INTO REVERSE.

$1,968.28Checked fault and found P1731 for distance sensor 4-6 out of range present and will not clear. Removed transmission covers. Checked connector at transmission and found okay. Removed PDK control unit and checked wiring from plug b on control unit to plug a on transmission for distance sensor wiring and found okay. With-in specs. Installed connectors, rechecked faults and found faults not present. Cleared codes. and found vehicle will now go into reverse. Removed both connectors. Cleaned both connectors with contact cleaner. Installed connector. Installed PDK control unit and transmission covers. Road tested vehicle okay.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveinGigHarbor:
emtu (09-28-2023), Viper1000 (09-27-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 10:26 PM
DaveinGigHarbor
Track Day

Finally got the car fixed after being at the shop for three months. At first, shop thought it was an external sensor and it took a while to get the part. That did not resolve the issue.

The issue was an internal shifter rod (shifter fork?) distance senor. The replacement was made by LM Engineering (IMS fame) and it also took a while to arrive and then installed in the PDK after it was removed and disassembled.

If a Porsche dealer fixed the car, they would have required me to buy a new PDK transmission, as the distance sensor is not available through Porsche. Final tab for the repair was $7k, with the LM part being $2.5k of that tab. So at least a third or less of the cost of what Porsche would have charged.

Glad to have the car back and I am going to daily drive it as much as practical.

Last edited by DaveinGigHarbor; 12-17-2023 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:36 AM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you got it sorted,
How many miles are on the vehicle?
Old 12-18-2023, 12:30 PM
DaveinGigHarbor
Track Day

Jpbarnlight - Car has 44k miles. Now that I know what the issue was, I find a lot of information here regarding the distance sensor.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:33 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

Thx.

Glad you shared your story. It definitely helps people if they ever run across the same issue.

I definitely learned something.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:05 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts

Our T-Design distance sensor is $1890 and best in the world (hint hint) with long and traceable history

Also I didn't read through the whole thread, but every time I see strange battery issues on start, with multiple batteries tried - High Pressure Fuel Pump is a suspect. Seen many many cases
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Quick Reply: Newbie with low battery and crazy fault issues