Sponsored by:

991.2 keeps randomly overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 01:52 AM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
towed car to dealer week ago,they called and are going to replace waterpump again(2nd replacement) and the valve block, etc..no mention of $$$ so Im guessing that 10 year warranty is kicking in and they are going to have it delivered to my house which is 1 hour away. Hope that cures it.
So mine ended up being the same thing. Finally last weekend, after it began overheating more frequently, I jacked her up and checked the coolant pump vacuum line...sure enough, coolant came flowing out. So trucked her over to the Porsche service where they repro'd the problem. This will be the second replacement water pump she has had now - and apparently now its a newer better version. All in all they replaced the water pump, the valve block, all vacuum lines, and the vacuum pump under warranty. While she was open I had them also do the serpentine belt for a little extra.

So it turns out, when these water pumps start to go, they can be quite intermittent and unclear to immediately diagnose - similar to your situation too - but eventually it becomes obvious. But glad it seems to be fixed now.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Schoi78
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
If your adding coolant where is it going? Has Porsche tested the coolant system for exhaust gases? A blown head gasket would cause the coolant system to become entrained with air, think a very small leak. Water pump is vacuum operated on 991.2, if you want there is a 90 degree vacuum hose right below the water pump. Unplug it, does coolant pour out, there should be zero. This is a solvable problem, it appears the super qualified special citizen porshe technicians missed a programming session......
"Water pump is vacuum operated on 991.2, if you want there is a 90 degree vacuum hose right below the water pump. Unplug it, does coolant pour out, there should be zero."

Just out of curiousity, Is this the 90 degree vacuum hose you are talking about? pic just for reference: https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c9c79e6c1.jpeg

If coolant pours out, then what would be the diagnosis?

Quick Reply: 991.2 keeps randomly overheating