Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 keeps randomly overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 08:58 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

check coolant in AM, mine took 3 days to settle in...good to go now.....good job...
Old 11-20-2023, 08:15 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Well it just did it again. Sigh. Sitting here on the side of the road. Wont settle down again - i get a mile or two and off it goes again.

i checked the coolant its full and obviously given i was able to safely, means the wider cooling system was not hot at all - its the thermostat is not opening.

Do the cov valves control the thermostat opening? i mean its got a brand new thermostat in it...
Old 11-20-2023, 09:12 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

UR car sounds like mine, same issues, new thermostat and it goes bonkers, no rhyme or reason..if U get it fixed before me, please post cause.. i made appt at indy but still 2 weeks to wait.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:41 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

I have tried everything, PSE on/off, heat on/off, ACon/off, driving in Sport, etc. Nothing changes.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:02 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

The .2 has the COV controlled water pump. The .1 has a COV controlled coolant bypass. All features designed to heat up engine sooner. Should fail safe, but if the mechanism themselves fail could overheat.

What does the COV up by the radiators do?

You guys check the radiators and verified there’s no road debris blocking airflow?
Old 11-21-2023, 08:57 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimEb
The .2 has the COV controlled water pump. The .1 has a COV controlled coolant bypass. All features designed to heat up engine sooner. Should fail safe, but if the mechanism themselves fail could overheat.

What does the COV up by the radiators do?

You guys check the radiators and verified there’s no road debris blocking airflow?
yep checked front radiators - wide open. Its just like the thermostat isnt opening up... and its super intermittent. Next morning after it cools down its all fine, and it wont happen again for weeks. Its just weird.

my next step is the COV valve block. Its all thats left aside from taking off the tune i have on it.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:52 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds to me like there is coolant in the water pump vacuum lines. If you read the waterpump failure thread, you'll see that the pump leaks coolant into the vacuum control lines. After I had my first pump replaced I had a couple of overheating issues similarly to yours. The dealership 'burped' the coolant to get any air out. I got the car back and had the same overheating issue. They found the coolant in the lines and replaced the control valve block and all has been good. I think they extended the warranty on the pump and controllers.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:02 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
Sounds to me like there is coolant in the water pump vacuum lines. If you read the waterpump failure thread, you'll see that the pump leaks coolant into the vacuum control lines. After I had my first pump replaced I had a couple of overheating issues similarly to yours. The dealership 'burped' the coolant to get any air out. I got the car back and had the same overheating issue. They found the coolant in the lines and replaced the control valve block and all has been good. I think they extended the warranty on the pump and controllers.
Porsche extended warranty on the water pump. I have not heard whether there is more than this.
But after the second time this occurred, I took it to Newport Porsche to get the water pump looked at, suspecting that was it. They told me that my pump had already been replaced and they checked for coolant in the lines. It was all clear. They blamed the overheating on the tune I have in it, did literally nothing else to help diagnose and that was it - case closed to them. Never mind the fact the tune has been on there for years now.
The only thing i have no done yet is the COV valve block. Given the spaghetti mess of vacuum lines under the bumper (what a disaster of a design) its possible that one has kinked and maybe thats it too? Idk.
But it seems the logical next step.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:26 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

can U iuninstall tune and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
c1pher (11-22-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:34 AM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by barncobob
can U iuninstall tune and see what happens.
does yours have a tune on it too? Awhile ago i did check the vacuum system with my NT530 it said it failed. Hence why the next choice...
Old 11-29-2023, 03:11 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 89 Posts

It’s probably not the tune at all. Coolant leaked from water pump into COV block and vacuum lines. Dealer should replace water pump, COV block, valves, lines, and vacuum pump. Many have had this happen.

They may have checked and supposedly seen that lines are clear, but if there was a leak the dried up coolant mucks up the COV block and valves. Still most likely culprit despite what they are saying.

Good luck!

Last edited by devtec; 11-29-2023 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:28 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

mine crapped on me again, had it towed to dealer hoping its the warranty pump. Now the wait. Hope i dont have to call PNA to lite a fire under their ***.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:59 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 122 Posts

If your adding coolant where is it going? Has Porsche tested the coolant system for exhaust gases? A blown head gasket would cause the coolant system to become entrained with air, think a very small leak. Water pump is vacuum operated on 991.2, if you want there is a 90 degree vacuum hose right below the water pump. Unplug it, does coolant pour out, there should be zero. This is a solvable problem, it appears the super qualified special citizen porshe technicians missed a programming session......
Old 11-29-2023, 03:49 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Watching thread for updates
good luck to y’all
Old 12-05-2023, 02:17 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

towed car to dealer week ago,they called and are going to replace waterpump again(2nd replacement) and the valve block, etc..no mention of $$$ so Im guessing that 10 year warranty is kicking in and they are going to have it delivered to my house which is 1 hour away. Hope that cures it.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (12-06-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.2 keeps randomly overheating