Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about drains (sunroof & A/C)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 11:05 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Question about drains (sunroof & A/C)

Hi,

I’ve seen discussions here but no »picture proof«

Can someone please post a picture of the place in the sunroof, where the water drain is?

There is a porsche maintenance video on you tube off a professional and he even doesn’t mention the drain.

Also I wonder on a hot day, where does the condensing water flow/leak of the A/C?

The condensers in the front bumper do not seem to evaporate any condensed water.

I have never seen any condensed water under my 991.1…

Thank you in advance for any insights!
Old 08-20-2023, 11:23 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

The condenser is the hot side, it won't create water. The evaporator is the cold part inside. It drains through a tube to the underside of the car, but it's above the cladding that creates a smooth underbody. You generally won't see much, if any, dripping from the a/c when you park as a result of this.

The fellow drilled a hole to expose it but the benefits are likely nonexistent. My 991.2 was a year-round car in Minnesota and corrosion wasn't a concern there, so I don't really buy into the "drain it to prevent rusting" idea personally.

991 coupes do not have drain tubes. The water is drained through channels across the exterior of the vehicle. @Tier1Terrier made a post on this a couple years ago here --> https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1249...or-debris.html
The following 3 users liked this post by asellus:
MingusDew (08-20-2023), Schorsch (08-20-2023), Tier1Terrier (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 11:24 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 512 Posts

I was told by the service department manager at my local Porsche dealer that there were no drain 'lines' (as in tubes) for the sunroof of 991 models coupes. He said there is no maintenance procedure for this. This is different from 991 Convertibles or Targas or 997 and previous generations that do have drainage lines. Instead he explained that there are channels along the roofline of 991 coupes where the water drains along to the backside of the vehicle and down through the engine compartment and there are no maintenance procedures to clear this.

As for A/C condensation, I know there must be a way to clear that and I have definitely seen puddles of condensation on my garage floor on hot/humid days after coming in from a drive with the A/C blowing. Also, I have felt water drip onto my feet when cruising with the windows down and the A/C blowing at the same time. This apparently is normal for many cars especially when driven in humid climates like South Florida with the windows open and A/C on. I suppose the best way to find out where it's leaking from is to run the A/C for a while and then park the car to see exactly where the water drips down from.
The following users liked this post:
Schorsch (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 02:44 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank you for those helpful replies!
That helps me understand my Porsche better :-)

That brings up another question:
is it helpful for the a/c-system being shot off 5 minutes before parking in the garage to help prevent bacteria in a/c-system?
or just switch off car with a/c on?!

Old 08-20-2023, 06:32 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

I always turned the car off with the A/C on. Never had an issue, but it was also my daily so YMMV.

Some cars, and I can't remember if the 991 is one of them, will run the HVAC motor at full blast for a short period some time after the car is shut down to prevent smells.
The following users liked this post:
Schorsch (08-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Question about drains (sunroof & A/C)