Sponsored by:

At what point do the two Electric fans turn on above the engin

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:05 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts
Default At what point do the two Electric fans turn on above the engin

I’ve had my 2015 TARGA 4S for a month now and have always driven it in our hundred degree Fahrenheit plus weather the whole time. I have been driving in the sport mode to keep the oil temperature down but I’ve never heard the two electric fans above the engine turn on. What circumstances caused them to go on?
Old 08-19-2023, 08:02 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

There is a sensor, also sport plus lowers the threshold quite a bit.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:03 PM
straka
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Are they audible when they are running? Do they run at several speeds depending on the amount of heat? I was caught in a long traffic jam recently, 1.5 hrs stop and go with the outside temperature 105 F. I heard a new sound that may have been the fans running.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:07 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't think they are easily noticeable inside with car running but they tend to run after shutdown with sport plus.
IIRC they are single speed.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:37 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

The 2 years I’ve had my car I only noticed the fans running once. It was after I parked in my garage and shutdown. I heard something still running and realized it must be the fans. I jumped out to verify but they already shutoff by the time I could look at it. Was odd because this drive didnt seem abnormal, wasn’t even that warm out.

I understand if the fans are defective I’d get a warning message on the dash.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,130 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by JimEb
The 2 years I’ve had my car I only noticed the fans running once. It was after I parked in my garage and shutdown. I heard something still running and realized it must be the fans. I jumped out to verify but they already shutoff by the time I could look at it. Was odd because this drive didnt seem abnormal, wasn’t even that warm out.

I understand if the fans are defective I’d get a warning message on the dash.
This is correct. I once had an issue when changing oil and replacing the fan cover. Somehow I misaligned the cover, which prevented the fan from spinning. I got error message on MFD

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 08-20-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:27 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I live in central Florida and my fans run frequently. Can’t say whether both run. I’ll have to check next time I’m out.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:43 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

Variable speed, DME (temp) controlled as others have noted.
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (08-20-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 12:38 AM
Coyington
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I live in central Florida and my fans run frequently. Can’t say whether both run. I’ll have to check next time I’m out.
Also live in CFL, and pretty much I feel like they're always running after a ride.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Everything you ever wanted to know about the engine compartment fans (from the 991 SIT):

Engine compartment purge fan
The engine compartment purge fan consists of two electrically actuated fans. The fan motors can be operated at two speed settings (low and high)
and are switched using two relays.The engine compartment fan motors do not have their own control unit. There is one relay for each of the two settings
(low/high). The fan motors are actuated on the instruction of the DME control unit. Actuation takes place as a function of the engine compartment temperature,
which is detected by a separate engine compartment temperature sensor. The engine compartment temperature sensor is connected to the DME control unit.
Another variable is the engine coolant temperature.

Operating condition: Engine off, ignition on
The engine compartment purge fan runs at setting 2 when the engine compartment temperature is > 162° F. (72° C.). It switches off again under these conditions
when the engine temperature is < 154° F. (68° C.).

Operating condition: Engine on
When the engine is running, fan setting 1 is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 75° F. (24° C.) and switched off again when the engine
temperature is < 59° F. (15° C.).

Fan setting 2 is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 149° F. (65° C.) or the engine coolant temperature is > 226° F. (108° C.). When the engine
is running, fan setting 2 is switched off again when the engine compartment temperature is < 145° F. (63° C.) or the engine coolant temperature is < 221° F. (105° C.).
Fan setting 2 is activated in the event of heavy acceleration from standstill. Activation depends on the speed with which the accelerator pedal is depressed and the accelerator
pedal travel (depress fully). The same applies to the launch control start on vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK).

Operating condition: Engine switched off
If the engine has been switched off, the fans can run for up to 25 minutes in order to purge the engine compartment.
Setting 2 runs at an engine temperature > 180° F. (82° C.) until the temperature in the engine compartment has fallen to < 158° f. (70° C.). The fan motors run at
fan setting 1 until the engine temperature is < 113° F. (45° C.) in order to reduce the temperature further.

Operating condition: Interruption of fan operation
Fan operation is interrupted if any of the following situations occur:

• Engine compartment lid open
• Cabriolet only: convertible top open
• Battery voltage < 10 volts

Diagnosis
The engine compartment purge fan can be diagnosed using the DME control unit. Drive-link diagnosis is possible using PIWIS Tester II.
Detected faults are stored in the DME control unit.

Enjoy your new Targa. The 991 Service Information publication is an excellent source of technical details.
Link from another Rennlister here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jpmkhmjlupf6w9/991%20SIT.pdf
The following 3 users liked this post by pfan:
Anthony Martin (04-20-2024), Honda (08-21-2023), straka (08-21-2023)

Quick Reply: At what point do the two Electric fans turn on above the engin