Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add front park assist since I am already upgrading with a sport design bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:37 PM
alkipete
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I add front park assist since I am already upgrading with a sport design bumper?

I have a newish-to-me 991S cab that I am looking to upgrade with the suncoast sport design kit to add the GTS-like bumper and ducktail. My car only has the rear park sensors so I'd like to add front ones in order to get the audible proximity warning tones, and therefore would order the sport design kit with the cutouts already made for the OEM proximity sensors assuming it's possible to add front park assist.

Anyone here know what is needed to retrofit front park assist (OEM style, not a 3rd party solution) on a 991 and if so can you please share?

I have searched through a ton of RL threads and some other 911 boards and I have yet to come across any post that explains how to retrofit the front OEM park assist or even if it's feasible. I'm planning to do the bumper duck install myself especially from a DIY point of view, so don't want to go to a dealership or authorized collision center and not even sure if they would do it. I do see plenty of comments like 'learn to park!" or point to aftermarket solutions that don't seem great e.g. because there is one sensor in the middle of the front bumper. I live in a hilly city, the 991 is a stick, and I've been adept so far at parallel parking the 991 but I'd like the extra reassurance from the audible signal off the front sensors. On my other cars and for the rears on the 991 I find it allows me to be quicker in parking because I'm not being quite as cautious as I would be without them. Also some info on adding rear park assist but iirc that was for a 997.

In addition to adding the sensors it seems like I might need to add (or replace existing?) a front bumper wire harness which the proximity sensors plug into. Looks like this is part 991-612-924-51 according to Sunset's website. I also see parking aid control modules are part of the system - do I need a new one specifically for the front sensors or will the wire harness naturally connect the new front sensors to the existing control module and all will be good? Any other parts need to be added, and is any of this much more difficult/involved to install than what is involved in a front bumper swap and spoiler and related components delete + replace w/ ducktail?
Search Results | Sunset Porsche Parts

Thanks!

(1st RL post, woohoo!!)

Quick Reply: Can I add front park assist since I am already upgrading with a sport design bumper?