Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is not a Debate Whether a Car Wash Will Ruin Your 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023 | 01:06 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
I wouldn’t take anyone’s opinion if YOUR automated car wash will damage YOUR car. How could anyone know that? Unless you see a similar 911 go through that exact car wash and come out unscathed, no one will know. Even then, how perceptive is the driver when the car is getting pummeled with water to be able to say that there was no grinding on the wheels. Best to you!
Touchless car washes typically do not have any rails. The car is stationary and the detergent/water spouts circle around the car so the wheel issue you raise is a non-issue.
Old 08-05-2023 | 01:32 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

i think here in CA they are mandated to use "recycled" water from previous car washes.. who knows whats going on there,,,scares me.
Old 08-06-2023 | 12:33 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
For several years now I've been using a microfiber towel laundry detergent. I get it from the California Car Cover Co. I believe that Griot's Garage sells a similar product. Just save up a bunch of towels and throw in the washer. Yes, I use the family washer and drier. Considering some of the things the wife throws in there, I don't think there's a problem with my towels.
I have two hairy and often dirty German Sheperds so I am not worried about a little road grime. Besides, my washer has a sanitizer cycle - hot water, bleach and a few hours and it is sparkling clean.
Old 08-06-2023 | 01:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I take it to the dealer.

I get espresso and wam chocolate chip cookies while I wait.

What's not to like?
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:17 PM
mhconley
Racer

Originally Posted by bibik
For everyone that hand washes their car, I'm curious as to how you handle washing and drying the towels/mitts/applicators afterwards?

I would usually prefer to wash my own car, but my dilemma has always been dealing with the towels afterwards. The last thing I want to do is to throw them into the same washing machine and dryer that we use for clothes, and I don't have a dedicated washing machine just for dirty towels, so I just end up hand washing them as best I can and laying them out to dry, which is quite time consuming.

I've resorted to bringing a wash mitt to one of those coin-operated self-car washes, and then waxing the car when I get home, which has worked out fairly well. But it's still difficult to wash the towels used for waxing/polishing, since the wax tends to just repel the water and soap.
This:

Touch-up with a clean and dry microfiber if needed.

Martin
The following users liked this post:
bibik (08-11-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:24 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

my espresso at the dealer yesterday cost me $1495.
The following 2 users liked this post by barncobob:
cbredesen (08-08-2023), WJGreer (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 06:48 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhconley
This:

Touch-up with a clean and dry microfiber if needed.

Martin
Oh yes, that's what I use!
Gets the water out from all the tight spaces like in the door jams and wheel lugs.

Quick Reply: This is not a Debate Whether a Car Wash Will Ruin Your 911