Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Chunking - Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 10:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
Haven’t you read all the posts on RL? P-zeroes will make your car explode. 🤣
I got 12k out of a set of PZeros, and only replaced them at that mileage as I blew a rear tire, and had a set of MPS4s on reserve at the dealer. After about 4k on the MP4Ss, I am not that impressed. A bit quieter, but after two track days (at LRP), the tread seems to have melted and flowed. I will add pics of this tomorrow. The Pzeros held up better, and had better directional stability. Probably get a new set of Pzeros after I am convinced the Michelins are trashed.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:00 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Here’s an old photo of one of my sets of 4Ss courtesy of LRP.

Old 07-29-2023, 01:52 PM
ERinEC
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Yup, both the PS4S and cup2's will start "chunking" or delaminating if they're pushed too hard without enough camber, or if their pressures aren't monitored closely. Tires should start cold at 28-29psi and warm up to 33-34 max. I gradually bleed off air after every seession to get to 33-34 hot pressure. There's a long thread about this on Rennlist already. I got 5 track days out of my last front set (with OE alignment). I've since changed my alignment to the max spec on OE C2S suspension (-1.4 camber front, -2.1 camber rear) and my PS4S look great after 3 track days.

Pics attached: of delaminating from OE alignment and not checking pressures
: max alignment specs
: new PS4S after 3 track days
I was at 34 hot up front when at the Glen in June. Hoping the additional negative camber applied will help alleviate the issue. Two new PS4 being installed this Friday, then to Summit Point for the weekend.
The following users liked this post:
drdantheman1 (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 11:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Here’s an old photo of one of my sets of 4Ss courtesy of LRP.
Left side tire, correct?
You rip up that track, I've seen your car there, you drive it well.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:29 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes, as you know, LRP eats front left tires like it’s going out of style.

Here are the last set of Nankangs for comparison. Absolutely worn out - but not falling apart.

Last edited by CT_Peter; 07-29-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

They wore very well. They sound like a good alternative to Michelin/Pirelli .
CT_Peter (07-30-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 09:31 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I’m probably in the minority, but I have had good experience with the N0 Scorpions on my Macan since 2016. I run different tires on it in the winter, but the Scorpions have been absolutely fine on that car. I know others have absolutely hated them however.
try latitude summers,… changed the macan experience for me (when i had one)

CT_Peter (08-01-2023)
Old 07-06-2024, 06:24 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Glad I found this thread. Took the tires off for a wheels off cleaning after driving through a little bit of muddy offroad terrain. My Michelin PS4S are maybe less than 1000 miles old and one HPDE track event. Although I am a beginner and this was my first HPDE, I know I drove the car pretty hard. Unfortunately, I did not start paying attention to tire pressures until 3/4 of the way into the day and only backed the pressures down for my last session. My pressures just before backing them down were around 39 psi. There's no telling what or how much unnecessary wear I caused leading up to that but when I had the tires removed today, I definitely noticed what appeared to be some unique wear. I wouldn't go so far as saying 'chunking' but it definitely looked like it was 'peeling' or 'delaminating' more so toward the outer edges. I'll try to post some pics up later here for some opinions, but it looked similar to some of the images posted earlier in this thread.

After reading through this thread, I now realize a couple of things.
#1) I will have to be more conscientious of my tire pressures at the start of my next HPDE event. I was given the advice to lower my pressures ahead of time but I forgot to do it. I won't make that mistake again.
#2) I need to give some serious thought about different tires if I want to get more out of my track sessions. Sure I'd love to have an extra set of wheels just for the track but as a VERY beginner, I'm not ready to make that investment. I'd love to just switch to Cup 2s, but living in South FL, I worry about their performance on wet roads which we definitely have to deal with a lot down here.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:34 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Glad I found this thread. Took the tires off for a wheels off cleaning after driving through a little bit of muddy offroad terrain. My Michelin PS4S are maybe less than 1000 miles old and one HPDE track event. Although I am a beginner and this was my first HPDE, I know I drove the car pretty hard. Unfortunately, I did not start paying attention to tire pressures until 3/4 of the way into the day and only backed the pressures down for my last session. My pressures just before backing them down were around 39 psi. There's no telling what or how much unnecessary wear I caused leading up to that but when I had the tires removed today, I definitely noticed what appeared to be some unique wear. I wouldn't go so far as saying 'chunking' but it definitely looked like it was 'peeling' or 'delaminating' more so toward the outer edges. I'll try to post some pics up later here for some opinions, but it looked similar to some of the images posted earlier in this thread.

#1) I will have to be more conscientious of my tire pressures at the start of my next HPDE event. I was given the advice to lower my pressures ahead of time but I forgot to do it. I won't make that mistake again.
#2) I need to give some serious thought about different tires if I want to get more out of my track sessions. Sure I'd love to have an extra set of wheels just for the track but as a VERY beginner, I'm not ready to make that investment. I'd love to just switch to Cup 2s, but living in South FL, I worry about their performance on wet roads which we definitely have to deal with a lot down here.
Did you deactivate traction control during the HDPE?
Old 07-06-2024, 09:17 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Did you deactivate traction control during the HDPE?
No. Should I?

Never mind. I just read through THIS THREAD and found my answer.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 07-06-2024 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 10:02 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread, but wear is normal for a track tire. Especially in the heat. In addition the PS4S is a great tire for the road, but it is not a tire for the track; if you search PS4S chunking on track, you'll find that this is very common, not just on Porsches. I would not go with Cup2s, the performance of that tire drops off too fast. The Nankang CRS mentioned in this thread is a fine tire, it's a good tire to set PB with. If you're not too concerned about lap times (which you shouldn't be, b/c that shouldn't be your focus as a beginner) then I think you should consider an endurance tire. Endurance tires won't yield the fastest lap times, but they will be consistent, lap after lap, and will generally last longer. Imho, a couple of good ones to consider would be Continental Extreme Contact Force (aka ECF) or the Yokahama Advan AD09. I just ordered a set of ECF myself from Track Day Tire (buy 3 get 1 free).
Tier1Terrier (07-06-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:13 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Ok I wouldn’t exactly call this chunking. This is what my tires looked like after my first HPDE. Doesn’t look so bad. I should have taken pictures when the wheel was off. Again, probably didn’t help that I wasn’t being mindful of the pressures until nearly the last session.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 07-07-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2024, 02:58 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Ok I wouldn’t exactly call this chunking. This is what my tires looked like after my first HPDE. Doesn’t look so bad. I should have taken pictures when the wheel was off. Again, probably didn’t help that I wasn’t being mindful of the pressures until nearly the last session.
This is normal for a track tire. The tires heat up, the rubber melts. At some point, your tires may also pick up marbles (bits of rubber from other peoples tires) and you may feel a vibration, at which point you may think there's something wrong with your car but, that's normal too and it will likely come off over time (although you can try scrapping it off too).

Last edited by Speed2k; 07-07-2024 at 03:02 PM.
cbredesen (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

In my experience, the PS4S doesn't like serious heat—and once pushed long enough on track doesn't "recover" on the street well (vs track-day tires such as Cup 2, etc).

Did a short day at Sonoma in the wet and they were ok after; did a longer (but not full) track day in the dry at Sonoma and they never did…this even with careful pressure management. Iirc, I had to replace the full set prematurely to get back to how the car was before that partial track day. Wasn't dire, but just didn't feel the same.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:58 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Over and under

Yellow - Over inflated

Blue - Perfect

Red - Under inflated.

Get the wear out to the blue line.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
Jon D (07-08-2024), spyderbret (07-08-2024), Tier1Terrier (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Chunking - Normal?