Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help requested... 991.1 Recurring P2092 Code - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 12:36 PM
rxm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help requested... 991.1 Recurring P2092 Code - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator

Hi,

I purchased a used 2013 911 Carrera 4S a few months ago, and have been dealing with issues ever since. It only had 16k original miles, a single owner, and looked flawless so I took the jump but now going into the shop for the 4th time in 60 days.

I'm repeatedly getting the "Fault engine control Possible to drive on" alert, and when I check the code it's coming up with P2092. The last service visit to my Porsche dealer seemed to confirm it was the cam actuators and not sensors, so both were allegedly replaced with new on both banks. After only a couple hundred miles since then, yesterday I got the same alert and throwing the same code. In talking with the tech from my dealer I am a tad suspicious of whether or not they actually replaced the actuators with new parts after we talked and he told me proactively that the actuators can often be pulled and cleaned, then reused. I didn't disagree, but I was charged for 2 new parts and have no way to validate what was actually done.

Anyway... any other thoughts on what could be the root cause? Sensors checked out fine but heading back into the shop, again, tomorrow and simple trying to get on top of this. I can definitely feel the power degradation / rough idle even when the alert isn't popping up but right after the actuators were "replaced" in the last service visit it drove like a dream until I took a 100 mile drive over the weekend. Alert is now back, poor performance is as well but thankfully not in limp mode. It's a great car, but after 4 service visits in 60 days (died on the first day with a COV vacuum line failure) I'm getting salty.

Last edited by rxm; 07-24-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:54 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

I had (I think) the same problem with he same code, repeatedly. They replaced both actuators, and fault recurred. Turned out that it was a loose wiring in the back of the car.
The following users liked this post:
rxm (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 06:58 PM
rxm
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. Did you also notice poor performance / rough idle before the "Fault engine control" alert would pop up? I swear I can feel the difference in advance, and then sure enough I'll get the alert especially if I've driven the car long enough that it gets up to temp like yesterday.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:49 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

I would trigger the fault on the track, and I would get a limp mode, limited to 6K RPM, which you wouldn’t notice unless you were redlining it on each shift.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:00 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

That's the risk with super low mileage out of warranty cars.

This is a difficult car to do this but check wiring and in particular ground points.
Does fault reoccur in the same manner each time after clearing or does it seem random?
​​​​​​
Old 07-25-2023, 10:00 AM
rxm
Rennlist Member

It seems like it's most likely to reoccur after a "significant drive". After both actuators were replaced I did a bunch of short drives around town, but on Sunday I drove an hour to the track, parked, and the next time I started it up (about an hour later) the alert popped up. It was on through restarts the rest of the day Sunday and Monday, then of course this morning I started the car to take it to my service appointment and the alert was gone. I just got back from dropping it off and they are going to try digging into it again especially from a wiring perspective. Thankfully I did get an aftermarket extended warranty.

Quick Reply: Help requested... 991.1 Recurring P2092 Code - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator