Sponsored by:

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023 | 11:17 AM
m3mackenzie
Intermediate

Default Engine Noise

Hi Guys,

Just purchased my first 911, 2013 85k miles, base, PDK. Quick question about engine noise:

When I rev out the car (under load, never tried in neutral), there is a distinct change in sound starting at 7,000 RPM that then goes away when the PDK shifts. I would say it sounds like a straight cut gear/whining noise.

Everything sounds perfectly normal to me in all other cirmcumstances. Car has a documented maintenance history, just had the 80k service done this spring. PDK service is coming due and i plan to have that dealt with this summer or fall.

Just want to know if this is normal/expected, a known issue, or an i'm screwed situation.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2023 | 11:39 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Try to record the sound. It's going to be hard to weigh in otherwise. There is not normally a distinct change in pitch at 7k RPM but it could be a harmless vibration from something being a bit loose on the chassis.
Old 07-10-2023 | 12:39 PM
m3mackenzie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Try to record the sound. It's going to be hard to weigh in otherwise. There is not normally a distinct change in pitch at 7k RPM but it could be a harmless vibration from something being a bit loose on the chassis.
I will see what i can do.

Seems like leaving the phone on the parcel shelf may be the ticket for this one.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise