Sponsored by:

991.2 Sport Chrono/Chassis Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 01:58 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 991.2 Sport Chrono/Chassis Question

I'm a little confused by the shock absorber icon button in my 991.2 GTS. Can anyone answer this question? When you select the various Sport Chrono modes, those settings change the suspension Normal = softer, sport = stiffer. sport plus = stiffest. When I engage the shock absorber button on the console it activates the sport chassis. Is this redundant? Is this separate from the suspension changes that occur when selecting the Chrono modes? The console button only lights up when activated and does not when chrono modes are changed. I would assume the sport chassis is in effect in sport or sport plus modes even though this button does not light up. Of course the spoiler button does not light up when the the spoiler automatically deploys so I'm not sure about the chassis button. Also, since my individual mode is programmed for the sport power train program, and exhaust, I have it with the normal driving suspension for comfort for the road conditions and daily speeds . I use the sport chassis button on occasion when in my individual mode using normal suspension, should I be on good asphalt, or sweeping turns or transition ramps at speed for example. It this the function of the separate chassis button? Anybody shed some light?
Old 06-29-2023, 02:02 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Pg 109 of your "Good To Know - Owner's Manual"

Old 06-29-2023, 03:27 PM
Atheist
Racer

I appreciate the read the instructions tip, which I did of course. Looking at the page where the chassis graph was a little confusing as there appear to be three settings, normal, sport and sport chassis. Also I wanted to clarify if the shock absorber/chassis button overrides the chrono settings. I admit to being confused by chassis management and suspension management. I get how suspension changes, but what changes on the chassis? Forgive the ignorance but I didn't asking for some clarification would be a nuisance.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:03 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2017 C2S which I purchased as a CPO vehicle from the dealership who originally sold the vehicle. And have the same pages in my owners manual. I will have to check again the next time I drive my car to see if rotating the little black **** at 4 O'Clock offset to the steering wheel hub from Normal to Sport and to Sport Plus changes those LED lamps in the buttons on the center console. I thought they did light up when activated via the rotary ****.

However, I've learned via experience and trying various systems and functions that per the build sheet and hardware are on my car that not everything in the owners manual edition for USA [and Canada] functions as described in the owners manual. For example, Sport Chrono features are a glaring example of several exceptions. The mapping and additional optional for recording lapping data functions do not function, and of course, do are not available to play back on the PCM display screen. The only data available to retrieve from the records is lap time for each lap -- provided that you have remembered to push the "Round" button on each successive lap as you pass the start/finish line or some other track marker you choose to use.

And why did Porsche install a button on a stalk to push for voice commands and not include that feature in its otherwise rather comprehensive PCM and NAV system? The dealer says that the required electronic module had to be installed at the factory and cannot be added at the dealership. But the PCM knows that you pushed the button and when you do, it displays a message that the function is not available.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:06 PM
MaddGTS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Atheist
I appreciate the read the instructions tip, which I did of course. Looking at the page where the chassis graph was a little confusing as there appear to be three settings, normal, sport and sport chassis. Also I wanted to clarify if the shock absorber/chassis button overrides the chrono settings. I admit to being confused by chassis management and suspension management. I get how suspension changes, but what changes on the chassis? Forgive the ignorance but I didn't asking for some clarification would be a nuisance.
My understanding is that "chassis" setting refers to PDCC being active which stiffens the hydraulic anti roll bars. PDCC is active in Sport Plus or if you press the button on the center console.

​​​​​​I haven't figured out how to use the Chrono function in PCM as it pertains to lap timing. It would be cool if it integrated with Porsche Track Precision app.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:41 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Porsche Active Suspension Management, PASM and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, PDCC - 2 different systems.

PASM is an active system. It may be turned on due to the SC S+ setting or by the PASM button. If you select S+, the PASM button light should turn on. But I think it PASM active all the time.

Porsche chassis development
Dynamic training 2016
Press kit

Basis of the balanced chassis: Active PASM shock-absorber system
One of the first active chassis systems that Porsche implemented and is still continuously developing
is the Porsche Active Suspension Management, or PASM for short. This combines two
chassis in one: a sporty yet comfortable chassis for long journeys and an exceptionally sporty
chassis for the race track. The normal setting provides a more comfortable basic configuration
of the dampers, and switches to a more sporty mode if the vehicle is driven more dynamically.
This increases comfort levels, particularly long motorway journeys, as the PASM absorbs minor
to moderate bumps in the road surface significantly better than a standard passive chassis. In
contrast, the sport setting activates harder damper characteristics that support a highly agile
driving style. The reduced car body movements make it easier to achieve fast lap times on the
race track.
The PASM responds in a flash to dynamic changes during driving. For example, the system increases
damper force to both axles in the event of sudden steering movements, e.g. during unexpected
manoeuvres to avoid an obstacle. This reduces lateral inclination or instability of the
body and makes it significantly easier to control the vehicle, particularly in extreme situations.
In normal mode, the damper force is increased if the vertical movement of the body exceeds a
certain value, for example when driving over bumps in the road surface. This reliably prevents
instability of the vehicle body. In contrast, sport mode slightly reduces the damper force as car
body movements increase to improve contact between the wheels and the road. This prevents
any jumping or displacement of the car, while at the same time noticeably improving comfort. In
normal mode, depending on the vehicle speed and lateral acceleration, the damper force is set
differently for the inner side and outer side of the vehicle when cornering. This prevents vehicle
instability and significantly increases driving precision. The damper characteristics are adjusted
individually for the front and rear axle during heavy acceleration, during gear changes and when
the accelerator pedal is released.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:55 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

Some more info.

Last edited by vanlieremead; 06-30-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:58 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 76 Posts

I always find these diagrams/information so helpful. What is the source?
Old 06-30-2023, 02:29 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by docskeet
I always find these diagrams/information so helpful. What is the source?

2017 911 sit 2 Service Information PM me for a copy if you’d like.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:15 PM
Atheist
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
Porsche Active Suspension Management, PASM and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, PDCC - 2 different systems.

PASM is an active system. It may be turned on due to the SC S+ setting or by the PASM button. If you select S+, the PASM button light should turn on. But I think it PASM active all the time.

Porsche chassis development
Dynamic training 2016
Press kit

Basis of the balanced chassis: Active PASM shock-absorber system
One of the first active chassis systems that Porsche implemented and is still continuously developing
is the Porsche Active Suspension Management, or PASM for short. This combines two
chassis in one: a sporty yet comfortable chassis for long journeys and an exceptionally sporty
chassis for the race track. The normal setting provides a more comfortable basic configuration
of the dampers, and switches to a more sporty mode if the vehicle is driven more dynamically.
This increases comfort levels, particularly long motorway journeys, as the PASM absorbs minor
to moderate bumps in the road surface significantly better than a standard passive chassis. In
contrast, the sport setting activates harder damper characteristics that support a highly agile
driving style. The reduced car body movements make it easier to achieve fast lap times on the
race track.
The PASM responds in a flash to dynamic changes during driving. For example, the system increases
damper force to both axles in the event of sudden steering movements, e.g. during unexpected
manoeuvres to avoid an obstacle. This reduces lateral inclination or instability of the
body and makes it significantly easier to control the vehicle, particularly in extreme situations.
In normal mode, the damper force is increased if the vertical movement of the body exceeds a
certain value, for example when driving over bumps in the road surface. This reliably prevents
instability of the vehicle body. In contrast, sport mode slightly reduces the damper force as car
body movements increase to improve contact between the wheels and the road. This prevents
any jumping or displacement of the car, while at the same time noticeably improving comfort. In
normal mode, depending on the vehicle speed and lateral acceleration, the damper force is set
differently for the inner side and outer side of the vehicle when cornering. This prevents vehicle
instability and significantly increases driving precision. The damper characteristics are adjusted
individually for the front and rear axle during heavy acceleration, during gear changes and when
the accelerator pedal is released.
Really appreciate this as it was very helpful, it is what I was trying to learn and understand. The interaction between the suspension (shock absorbing) and chassis settings,why they are separate and how to correctly activate or de activate them. I wasn't understanding why there was only a separate button for the chassis setting which was something I thought was controlled automatically in the various chrono modes. I see now there are modes and conditions when it happens automatically, so I suppose the button is for manual override similar to the spoiler button. You can't or shouldn't override or stop it when the computer or setting require it, but you can initiate on your own accord if desired. This explains why sometimes the stiffening feeling when I engage it seems more drastic than other times, which is probably due to PASM system always being active and in different. Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

On a backroad drive, I go to Sport mode and touch the PDCC button and it lights up. Sport + is a bit too rough for some of the roads I go on.
Old 07-04-2023, 03:57 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
On a backroad drive, I go to Sport mode and touch the PDCC button and it lights up. Sport + is a bit too rough for some of the roads I go on.
Ditto for me on many of the roads in NE Ohio and western PA. My car is also a 2017 C2S with PDK, Sport Package and RWD. The stiffer damper settings are too stiff for many roads. Compliance -- allowing the springs to do their work together with effective damping is much preferable to me.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Sport Chrono/Chassis Question