Saying goodbye for now

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 05:42 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Time for the almost 1-year update.
PROS
Out of the gate I really got to love the Giulia. It fits all our needs, hauling kids and occasionally the dog. The power was a massive step up from a base 2013 911.1.
I love how unique they are - I rarely see a Giulia let alone a QV in my area. The sparco buckets should be a required option on these cars with the added benefit of slightly more room in the back seat for car seats.
We mostly use my wife's SUV for the family hauling stuff but I have about 5600 miles on the QV at the time I'm writing this. I have not have any reliability issues other than the common battery drain that simply needed a full charge recycle at the dealership. Glad that didn't happen parking at the airport or on a trip somewhere but otherwise it's been solid.
I really like how sparse the interior is from a tech standpoint. It has parking sensors and a backup camera which help, especially when getting used to a new car. The integration of the screen in the main display looks fantastic as opposed to so many car companies gluing an ipad on your dash. Lane keep warning lights are fine and helpful, particularly since visibility out of this car is pretty bad due to large side mirrors and thick A pillar.
Drive modes are awesome and truly change the character of the car. You can go in full supple Camry mode for boring highway driving to then switch to Dynamic/Race mode and Mr. Hyde wants to help you replace your rear tires. This might actually be the cars best feature simulating a sort of 2 cars in one.
CONS
The engine noise is awful compared to an NA flat 6 in my opinion. the fart burbles at ~4k shifting are a bug not a feature to me.
While the aluminum shift paddles are large and very practical (mounted to the steering column as they should be), the lack of a manual has really started to weigh on me. I got to drive a few friend's manual cars in the last few months and can't wait to get back into a car with 3 pedals.

That's about it. I test drove a F80 M3 recently in manual and it just didn't do it for me to trade into that (and take a massive depreciation hit) as a step stone before getting back into a 911 once the kids can face forward. Overall, the QV is a wonderful unique car, striking appearance, able to accommodate almost anything you need. As far as performance sedans go, this is the one for me and have no regrets choosing this over any merc, bmw, audi, blackwing, is500, and whatever else is out there.

The following 3 users liked this post by captainslow21:
MingusDew (08-15-2024), sam_spider (08-15-2024), SilverSFR (08-14-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 01:43 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice review and thanks. As someone who loves that car and almost bought one (were it not for Towbin Alfas shady antics I would have!) I am a fan.

Must say that I recently drove a Blackwing and I personally believe it is worlds better than the QF. The tech, suspension feel, and power delivery are all much better…plus manual. Glad I didn’t get the QF bc I would have felt buyers remorse after trying te much more modern Caddy.

Also have tested M4 and prefer that as well bc of manual and better tech. Nothing has the QFs charm though!

That said none of these cars was a fraction as much fun as a 911 despite all the hype and hoopla. They all feel big, heavy, and numb in comparison.

NF
Old 08-15-2024, 11:09 AM
sam_spider
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a Giulia Ti Q4 back in 2017, truly one of the best driving sedans I've ever owned. I test drove a couple QV's but the timing was never quite right. The Giulia is one car I do miss dearly.

Old 08-15-2024, 11:57 AM
itsJustJed
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NF4710
Nice review and thanks. As someone who loves that car and almost bought one (were it not for Towbin Alfas shady antics I would have!) I am a fan.

Must say that I recently drove a Blackwing and I personally believe it is worlds better than the QF. The tech, suspension feel, and power delivery are all much better…plus manual. Glad I didn’t get the QF bc I would have felt buyers remorse after trying te much more modern Caddy.

Also have tested M4 and prefer that as well bc of manual and better tech. Nothing has the QFs charm though!

That said none of these cars was a fraction as much fun as a 911 despite all the hype and hoopla. They all feel big, heavy, and numb in comparison.

NF
Having owned a 2022 CT4 V Blackwing 6-speed and a 2024 Giulia QV, the difference between the two is immense. The QV is the more special car, feels less artificial in nearly all inputs, and looks WAY better from every angle. The difference in the engines is profound as well. On paper, you’d think they’re in striking distance of each other, but numbers aside, the QV feels significantly quicker and more linear. The handling is sublime the ride is beautiful and well damped even vs. the Magnaride found in the Blackwing.

There's nothing I miss about the Blackwing besides the 6-speed and my appreciation for GM's engineering. The QV is a car I couldn’t fully comprehend until I spent thousands of miles with it. I knew exactly what I was getting within 100 miles of picking up the Blackwing. I have continued to love and appreciate the QV. It’s one car that will hopefully never leave my garage. Controlling for the cost variance, I would pick the QV>CT4 Blackwing 10 out of 10 times.
The following users liked this post:
ieatfishburritos (08-16-2024)
Old Today, 10:46 AM
sam_spider
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Giulia has been pulling on me since I turned mine in before getting the 911, opportunity presented itself this week and I grabbed one.

911 is safe in the garage too.
The following 3 users liked this post by sam_spider:
CAA (Today), shammerman (Today), Speed2k (Today)
Old Today, 10:58 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Giulia has been pulling on me since I turned mine in before getting the 911, opportunity presented itself this week and I grabbed one.

911 is safe in the garage too.
What a stunner. Congrats!!

The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (Today)
Old Today, 12:45 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

Always been a fan but reliability and lack of experienced service centers scares the crap outta me
Old Today, 01:17 PM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Always been a fan but reliability and lack of experienced service centers scares the crap outta me
I believe the reliability improved tremendously over the years, and it is the misconception about historical issues that drive this behavior.

However, lack of experienced service and service in general is something that always mept me away from these.
Old Today, 01:42 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
I believe the reliability improved tremendously over the years, and it is the misconception about historical issues that drive this behavior.

However, lack of experienced service and service in general is something that always mept me away from these.
I have a local Maserati / Alfa dealer and a few independents nearby so this is less a concern for me. Valid concern though given the number of dealership closures and recent Stellantis headlines on financial difficulties.
Old Today, 01:43 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,221 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Also the interior feels like something out of a 15 year old car, which I can tolerate on something cheap, or a track car, but not on a luxury product that I’m going to use primarily to drive around town. To each their own, but not for me.
Old Today, 02:03 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Also the interior feels like something out of a 15 year old car, which I can tolerate on something cheap, or a track car, but not on a luxury product that I’m going to use primarily to drive around town. To each their own, but not for me.

For those unfamiliar
Old Today, 03:15 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DR_DFW

Agreed. That’s the real issue. I enjoyed the drive and was ready to purchase - cleaned out my E63, brought the title, etc. The dealer began to play games so I walked. He did me a favor: if they treat you that poorly before the sale imagine what post-sale service must be like!

Sorry to say but the cars are still not very reliable. I walked around to the service bay of the local dealer where there were 2 late model quads with engines out (I’m not sure what for). With Alfa’s poor sales numbers, Stellantis’ uncertain future, and typical Italian quality (aka none at all) I suspect these cars will be nightmares to own long term. I’m sure a few years would be fine. Luckily there are great manufacturer extended warranties that are quite reasonable - though I wouldn’t doubt they will be fulfilled at Jeep/Chrysler dealers in the future after Alfa folds.

Having driven one over 300 miles on great roads I do appreciate the engine and handling…but they really aren’t as far ahead of others as the magazines and some owners would have you believe. Hype is a big part of this car’s appeal. The poor build quality, cheap interior materials, and woefully outdated tech are disappointing at $80k+. That’s why dealers offer huge markdowns. They can’t give these cars away new. At least that was the case last year when I looked.

NF

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye for now