Sponsored by:

Traded my 911 for a 2024 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 09:25 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default okay for you

and it seems like you have some logic behind your decision. For me personally, that logic does not hold but if it makes you happy knock yourself out.

I would postulate that the corvette seems cheap and is full of plastic. The new Jeep is Altitude is very well appointed,

As for maintenance cost in some of the other comments I am at a loss. My last Jeep I had to replace a starter and battery. I owned it for 14 years. If you think that a BMW (or German/Italian) SUV and a Jeep have the same operating cost or longevity then I have some swampland near Gainesville I can sell (drop me a PM). The other thing I dont understand is the idea of a performance SUV. If you jack something way up in the air and give it a huge motor and expensive wheels it is still gonna perform the exact same way the Jeep does. It is a big heavy high center of gravity brick. I like trucks but recognize them for what they are to me a wagon or estate car is a better choice if you really have 7 kids to haul. If you need to haul dirt then a pickup is also a better choice.

That BMW is head turner, nice ride !

Originally Posted by P991GTS
Reason 1. I still appreciate the X5 so much more than a Jeep that I am willing to pay for it. (In the same way that I appreciate a Porsche car way more than a Corvette)

Reason 2. Section 179. It was like getting about 30% off on the purchase. An $80K X5 for $64K was better than a proportionately discounted Jeep.

Reason 3. $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. My '23 X5 hybrid qualified for this, so it was more like getting it for $57K.

I could go on with other reasons, such as how I wanted the peace of mind of being able to drive a car if we have a gas crisis (it's a plug-in hybrid that can run solely on electric mode). Or how the true cost to operate is cheaper than the options you prefer. But those are my calculations for my financial situation. Perhaps your situation is different. It's clear that you don't think a German or Italian SUV is a wise purchase, but you could have asked for perspective rather than making your blanket statement implying that those that do buy them are not as wise as you are.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:40 AM
RennListUser01
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 87 Posts

The change from 911 to X5 is just OP wanting a completely different TYPE of car - they are so different as to make any discussion more about each car than the "why."

Drove the X5 when last updating the family car - nice, but way overpriced - with waaaay too much poorly applied tech. Wanted the plug in hybrid, but even though it had the same battery as the Euro version, it was "detuned" to about 30 miles - just not enough on battery to warrant the effort/cost. Interior a bit dreary. Not particularly fast. Meh fuel mileage. Expensive insurance. Limited reliability.

Bought a Subaru Ascent ... bright, airy, AWD, good mileage, very intuitive application of technology, even pulls my boat effectively. Appropriately priced. Do wish had been available as a plug in hybrid.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:15 PM
ABQSpeedster58
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice M6.
The following users liked this post:
P991GTS (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 08:36 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

This thread is ridiculous . Man wanted an X5 and he bought one. Fantastic!!!! Instead of vacillating and mental masturbation, made a decision. If he loves the X5 fantastic and if he doesn't another life experience. WIN WIN. He can always go back to a 911. X5 an incredible vehicle by the way......
Old 06-23-2023, 08:57 PM
RennListUser01
Racer

Originally Posted by HardRider
This thread is ridiculous . Man wanted an X5 and he bought one. Fantastic!!!! Instead of vacillating and mental masturbation, made a decision. If he loves the X5 fantastic and if he doesn't another life experience. WIN WIN. He can always go back to a 911. X5 an incredible vehicle by the way......
Agree on the first part, for sure!

X5 great? IMO, uh, no.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 969 Likes on 581 Posts

I am always curious when somebody trades a 911 for a fancy SUV or some other fancy posh car. I certainly think people should buy whatever they like but I wonder how many people here own Porsches to fill their needs for a true sports car, or for just a nice episode in their sequence of miscellaneous cars.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:48 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 786 Posts

Well, it is pride month after all....
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
Bud Taylor (06-25-2023), drdantheman1 (07-03-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 03:09 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

I had an E53 X5 a long time ago and I loved it. I could absolutely see myself in another X5 in the future, though it would be a challenging decision versus the Cayenne.

Pretty sure car reliability has converged around a center point these days to where the differences between the most reliable cars and the least are far less pronounced than they once were. I might even say that reliability need not be a key decision factor anymore. This is all in the aggregate, anyone could come up with a n=1 example.

That said, I'm not likely to buy a Jeep. I would buy a Land Rover though, because Defenders are so damn cool.

But back to the OP - trading a 911 for an X5 is a strange move with the reasons the OP gave. Which were about warranties and service availability, not about the car category. It seems like an M2 or an M4 would have made more sense as a lateral move. So the OP must have wanted something a little more posh and bigger. Nothing wrong with that and the X5 is a great choice.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:53 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

I sold my 2018 C4S with some regret after we bought our winter home in southern Florida. My 911 was my only car in NH and I thought I would keep it but ended up selling it and bought a BMW 440i convertible to use in both locations. The BMW is nice but it is no Porsche. But it is more usable for me in both locations where I live. I see a lot of 911s in Florida but frankly I don't see the point. The roads are flat, full of traffic and pretty boring to me. Unless one takes the car to the track, I would not enjoy driving a Boxster or 911 there. In NH, I have access to wonderful back roads and I enjoyed driving my manual 911 and my Boxster. I still miss my Boxster and 911 and if I go back to one, I will leave it in NH for the winter.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:06 PM
RennListUser01
Racer

AnandN,

Very well put!

I, too, am in Florida - near beaches northwest part of state. As you note, hard to find a desirable drive after having lived in scenic countryside. We now will occasionally head into Alabama just to get a few nicer roads and inland scenery.

The BMW cabs are nice - whichever engine. I inherited a Toyota Solara (read: Camry) convertible recently. Give the above, it is a far better beach and Florida car than our 911 cab. These folks called it a condo car - mine is same as this one, same condition, same color, but has navigation. Doesn't have the other, er, bling, though.

Quick Reply: Traded my 911 for a 2024 BMW X5