Considering the DeMan 4.5 L upgrade for my 991.1 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023 | 10:04 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Saul_Goodman
So any 991.1 S trim or higher could get 4.5L and sound like a gt car or better?
That is correct...

The GTS is the ideal candidate

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
cryptical1200 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-24-2023 | 09:08 AM
jbr1271
3rd Gear

Rick…what makes the GTS an ideal candidate? I have a 13 991.1 C2S with the powerkit option with PDK with 45k miles . I’d like to book one of your next available slots to get the conversion. Are there any cost savings having the powerkit C2S or GTS ?

ty
Jeff
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:28 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbr1271
Rick…what makes the GTS an ideal candidate? I have a 13 991.1 C2S with the powerkit option with PDK with 45k miles . I’d like to book one of your next available slots to get the conversion. Are there any cost savings having the powerkit C2S or GTS ?

ty
Jeff
The GTS cars AND the properly converted cars with the Factory Power Kit are both better candidates for the 4.5L upgrade because the have a much better ECU ROM ID to start from, they have a better Muffler/Exhaust components and a Very Good intake Manifold to work with. X51 factory ported heads and a lot of little things that make it better all together.

Old 06-27-2023 | 10:34 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

I know the old saying if you have to ask you can't afford it but how much are we talking for this on a GTS? 15k, 30k, 50k? TIA
Old 06-27-2023 | 11:37 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Great build but can only imagine it's well north of $50k.....with that said if you have a 991.1 why not just go with the RR supercharger for $15k and have 500+ rwhp.....
Old 06-27-2023 | 12:59 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viper1000
Great build but can only imagine it's well north of $50k.....with that said if you have a 991.1 why not just go with the RR supercharger for $15k and have 500+ rwhp.....

I have to raise the same question. When you compare the two mods, I believe the S/C makes a lot more sense. You're making twice the power (+200 wheel hp fully documented time and time again) for 1/2 the cost. Another very practical feature of our supercharger kit is that it's a bolt-on. It's completely reversible. When it's time to sell the car, remove it. Your internal engine has not been touched. The Supercharger mod keeps the same great engine sound and intensifies it. You also get super cool supercharger sounds on top of it.

200 extra linear wheel hp on the straights out of a simple bolt on is hard to argue with.

-Justin
RR Racing

Online Store: www.RR-Racing.com
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Viper1000 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 03:47 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

IMHO the owner/customer contemplating a DeMan motor is not one who is the target audience for the Supercharger Mod.

two entirely different approaches and driving experiences regardless what the end dyno sheet results are.

If ultimate horsepower is the goal (especially ones who are chasing straight line 60-120 bragging sheets or 1/4 times) the supercharger ( or a base 991.2 ) is a no brainer

The driving experience, feeling, connection one gets from a high revving, high output Stroker motor like Deman is a whole other ball game, and hence why folks jump on a pre-owned Deman motor GT4/Spyder/911 like hot cakes.
To each their own. There is a customer for each, i just dont feel many are cross shopping the two. I know I am not even though it (would be great to save $40K
Old 06-27-2023 | 04:18 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by desmotesta
IMHO the owner/customer contemplating a DeMan motor is not one who is the target audience for the Supercharger Mod.

two entirely different approaches and driving experiences regardless what the end dyno sheet results are.

If ultimate horsepower is the goal (especially ones who are chasing straight line 60-120 bragging sheets or 1/4 times) the supercharger ( or a base 991.2 ) is a no brainer

The driving experience, feeling, connection one gets from a high revving, high output Stroker motor like Deman is a whole other ball game, and hence why folks jump on a pre-owned Deman motor GT4/Spyder/911 like hot cakes.
To each their own. There is a customer for each, i just dont feel many are cross shopping the two. I know I am not even though it (would be great to save $40K

Hi.... so based on reading what you just wrote, I think you might not understand what the SC powerband is all about. It is NOT comparable to the turbo cars AT ALL. With the supercharger, you get mild low and mid range power gains, and huge top end gains. This is exactly what you expect from a naturally aspirated GT car (only enhanced +100hp vs GT3), and precisely the kind of powerband that makes the car easy to drive at the limit, especially at the track. So the SC is not about straight line bragging rights, its about keeping whats great about the NA car (powerband and sound) only enhancing it...

Just to give you a sense of how different the power delivery is on a turbo car vs supercharged, the dyno plot below shows a 991.1 Supercharged Carrera S vs 992 Turbo S:

BTW, before we ruffle any feathers on here, the only reason we are posting info on our SC kit here is that someone brought it up. I'm sure the stroked 4.5L is a great build, we are simply presently a very viable, reliable, cost effective, and more powerful alternative that is available to the 911 cars (we do not supercharge the Caymans).

Rafi

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-27-2023 at 04:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RRRacing:
DR911s (09-11-2023), flsupraguy (06-27-2023), Viper1000 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 04:33 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

No feathers ruffled here.. But I think I failed to explain how ( me and many like me) see the differences between a high revving stroker motor and Supercharger, and I dont think I can do a better job.

At the end of the day its a very very subjective difference (and opinion). The money saved is simply not worth what @DeMan Motorsport motor offers, not even close.

Thank you for posting that graph, it is very interesting to say the least

Last edited by desmotesta; 06-27-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 04:38 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No feathers ruffled here.. But I think I failed to explain how ( me and many like me) see the differences between a high revving stroker motor and Supercharger, and I dont think I can do a better job.

At the end of the day its a very very subjective difference (and opinion). The money saved is simply not worth what @DeMan Motorsport motor offers, not even close.

Thank you for posting that graph, it is very interesting to say the least

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but what is your opinion based on? Did you drive a 4.5, or one of our SC cars.... ever? Can you be more specific?

Rafi

Old 06-27-2023 | 04:51 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

If I had driven one of your S/C cars we would be having a very different conversation.

I have checked your Website and related videos (just now) and your kit seems very impressive.

Only one of us has a Dog in this fight (horrible expression i know) and htis is exactly why vendors like yourself should avoid these conversations, there is no way for me to take any of this personal or close to heart or defend strongly, because I am taking about S/Cs in general and how folks like me dont care for them.... a vendor/manufacturer like yourself has no choice but to either do the above or question the validity, scope and depth of the opposing opinion.
My weekend drives through wine country, bi-weekly trips up and down skyline drive and dinner trips with wife arent what your S/C (or even Deman otor) is built for. But I still get to decide, regardless of $$$$, what I would like to experience. The price difference between the two options is just a BMW R1200 Adventure bike, negligible in bigger scheme of things
Old 06-27-2023 | 04:56 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Older GT3s that offer a lot more are getting cheaper...so why spend all that?

If you're tracking the car just buy a race car, if not buy a GT3 Touring and make a far better investment.

My BS advice. FWIW.

Last edited by George from MD; 06-27-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 05:03 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If I had driven one of your S/C cars we would be having a very different conversation.

I have checked your Website and related videos (just now) and your kit seems very impressive.

Only one of us has a Dog in this fight (horrible expression i know) and htis is exactly why vendors like yourself should avoid these conversations, there is no way for me to take any of this personal or close to heart or defend strongly, because I am taking about S/Cs in general and how folks like me dont care for them.... a vendor/manufacturer like yourself has no choice but to either do the above or question the validity, scope and depth of the opposing opinion.
My weekend drives through wine country, bi-weekly trips up and down skyline drive and dinner trips with wife arent what your S/C (or even Deman otor) is built for. But I still get to decide, regardless of $$$$, what I would like to experience. The price difference between the two options is just a BMW R1200 Adventure bike, negligible in bigger scheme of things
Ok, Let's just agree on one thing, based on your sig file, we both don't like turbos! lol

I guess we have to wait until a famous youtuber tests our SC 911 in order to get a truly objective opinion

Rafi

desmotesta (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 05:16 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George from MD
Older GT3s that offer a lot more are getting cheaper...so why spend all that?

If you're tracking the car just buy a race car, if not buy a GT3 Touring and make a far better investment.

My BS advice. FWIW.

I need 4 seats lol
desmotesta (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 05:26 PM
George from MD
Drifting

If you really need them the seats can be added for a lot less than that kit onto any variety of 911.....

From what I've heard the Deman motors are fantastic....your choice just trying to help and thought you wanted opinions.....

OTOH if you really think you need to spend that kind of money on power with rear seats and carry the kids (or passengers of any sort) around on a public road and use it....well....

I guess I'll just leave it there.

Last edited by George from MD; 06-27-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering the DeMan 4.5 L upgrade for my 991.1 GTS