Turbo decklid on C2 DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 12:57 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Turbo decklid on C2 DIY

Hello everyone.
I've wanted to do something unique for a while and could not find something that wasn't an arm and a leg or to my taste of low key. Always wondered about some sort of intake scoop (don't know why, perhaps my long gone rice rocket days are still deep in my heart).
When i saw a Turbo deck lid for sale by Rennlister who had it on his C2s and returning his car to stock, i immediately grabbed it as they are hard to come by unless you want to pay full dealer price. Here is some info if you want to do this as well.

Unfortunately i wasn't expecting to do a detailed DIY so don't have all the images. Hope what i have helps.

My car is a 2013 991.1 C2. The deck lid frame on 991.1 Turbo is identical in mounting and dimensions to C2/S/GTS. The only difference is that it does not have the 3rd brake light since on turbo its in the spoiler.

So in order not to lose a 3rd brake light and throw errors on dash i went out looking for something that would blend in well and still work properly. As you know there are billions of different lights and LED strips out there, but something that is bright and minimalist is hard to come by.
Took me about a week and i came across this: AMPD Z-FLEX https://www.radiantz.com/Ampd-Flex-strips-p/288.htm got it in 14 inch with smoked tube. Could not find too much info on it. Wanted to make sure it is clearly visible in the sun. Since I've had my share dealing with bad LED products in my motorcycle days i knew i may get crap no matter what they say on the site.
So I took a chance, a pricey chance.... but lucky for me it turned out perfect. Product is very bright and matches stock tail lights perfectly:

I had to use some high quality 3M double-sided tape as whatever came with the LED strip was absolute crap and didn't hold for more than 2 seconds.
I used a small amount of hot glue on the inside of the end caps for additional layer of waterproofing. Drilled a pintsized hole right behind where i expected to mount the strip light and pulled wires through.
Mounted the strip eyeballing in the middle
Hole for wires drilled behind where circled:

For the wires i could not use the original male connecter as it is part of the stock brake light. So i had to improvise.
I took two pins from a old PC fan cable and soldered the new LED strip wires to it. put some nail polish for extra protection from corrosion, plugged them into the connecter and used shrink wrap to seal onto the connector.
Shrink-wrap was too big to properly seal on the wires, however. Used some electrical tape. All n' all not perfectly waterproof to be honest but I'm hopping for the best.

I also put some foam around it so it doesn't bang around, carefully placed wires in a good location not to pinch them and snapped the entire thing into place.

Note, the entire lid is held in place with 4 screws and bunch of plastics pins. Those are brittle and can snap off easily.
I will take a picture in next couple of days so you have an idea where they are.

Finished product:

Last edited by malahhaor; 05-30-2023 at 01:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by malahhaor:
99-911 (05-30-2023), gc88 (05-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Turbo decklid on C2 DIY