Sponsored by:

My New Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 02:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts
Default My New Drain Plug

I have been doing my own oil changes for years and in all that time have been looking for an easier and less messy solution. I have seen and have considered self-draining oil plugs but always thought they stuck out too far down and was afraid they might get sheared off when going over bumps or hitting road debris.

I decided to contact Femco, a leader in the car drain plug industry with my concerns. Happily, they were extremely receptive and they developed a “compact” drain plug – less height while retaining all the robustness of their other models. Their plugs are all solid brass.

I just installed their newly designed plug and I am ecstatic. It installs easily, is stout, has a small footprint, and I have zero concerns about it coming loose or getting damaged on the road.

I have driven a few hundred miles on it and no leaks.

Looking forward to quicker, less messy oil changes. No more removing and retorquing drain plug, no more crush washers, no more transferring dirty oil from drain pan to containers, and no more cleaning up an oil-stained floor.

I am not affiliated with Femco in any way. Just a very happy customer. These guys rock! I do not have enough good things to say about these guys.

If interested, here is a link. Compact SB - Porsche 911 special - M18x1.5-T12 - Femco

Small footprint and the cross bar shield it from shearing off unlike the taller drain plugs.

Pic with cap off. A hose screws into threads and opens the valve for clean oil changes.

This is the mess from traditional oil change. NO MORE Mess from now on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
NCheok (05-14-2023), thesaintusa (07-02-2024)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:04 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

"a leader in the car drain plug industry"

didn't realize this was such a lucrative industry!

seems neat. never had issues with such messes before, but I had a 991.2 so maybe those play a bit different?

my only concern here would be longevity. specifically the O ring and spring -- are both easily replaceable? what if you lose the hose? beyond that it seems great.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:04 AM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks neat, thanks for posting.

The vendor will get more hits if their catalog can be searched by vehicle
Old 05-15-2023, 03:06 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

I have one too! I love this little mod, as it makes it so much easier to keep a nice clean quick oil change. Especially with FCP euro I change my oil every 3k miles and this speeds things up a bit and keeps my hands cleaner
Old 05-19-2023, 01:55 PM
GNB
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks interesting. What torque did you use to tighten, the same 37 ft/lbs as the standard Porsche oem drain plug ( 991.1) ?

Also, not clear to me from your photos , how do you actuate the drain process? Did you purchase Femco's Straight compact drainer 750005? Does it just screw onto the plug and open up the drain ?
Old 05-19-2023, 01:57 PM
GNB
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
"a leader in the car drain plug industry"

didn't realize this was such a lucrative industry!

seems neat. never had issues with such messes before, but I had a 991.2 so maybe those play a bit different?

my only concern here would be longevity. specifically the O ring and spring -- are both easily replaceable? what if you lose the hose? beyond that it seems great.

Very good points. If that mechanism fails , you'd lose all your oil fast.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by GNB
Very good points. If that mechanism fails , you'd lose all your oil fast.
https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drai...hoCXScQAvD_BwE

Essentially gravity and the weight of the oil pushes on the valve to force it shut. I guess failure is technically possible, but most likely the failure would be a small seepage which you would notice in your garage assuming you look and not an explosion.

Quick Reply: My New Drain Plug