991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Destroyed Front End of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023 | 12:03 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Gieco sucks, they choose to spend money on TV commercials, instead of actually helping their customers.
The following users liked this post:
CAA (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023 | 12:05 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
Did the collision center actually take it all apart to inspect it, including the tub? If you follow the 992 GT3 rebuild on YouTube by Mat Armstrong you can see the level of work it takes to put a new tub in. In Mats case he bought a 992 GT3 that was owned by Adam Lz on YouTube that had his GT3 totaled from a accident that needed a new tub.
They have the car now and will probably get to it this week. They’re apparently slammed so I could be out on this car between 2-3 months depending on several factors. That tub does look to be quite the hassle and I saw that video above. I don’t see the same damage as having a full front end collision but who is to say other than what techs see. I’ll wait until they provide an accurate assessment and provide photos.
Old 05-13-2023 | 12:06 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
Gieco sucks, they choose to spend money on TV commercials, instead of actually helping their customers.
I’ve never really had an issue with them but, I guess we’ll find out soon enough!
Old 05-13-2023 | 01:03 PM
SConn
Drifting

Sorry to hear about your terrible luck! I would also like to see the rock that caused this type of damage, if you don't mind posting it?
Old 05-13-2023 | 01:56 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by SConn
Sorry to hear about your terrible luck! I would also like to see the rock that caused this type of damage, if you don't mind posting it?
It’s all good! **** happens and it won’t be long before it’s back to “new”. Just happy it wasn’t worse. Appreciate it 😁

As for the culprit… here you go!

detansinn (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023 | 01:57 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
A second opinion on 20k and yo understand exactly where the tub is damaged. It seems like at least 6 inchea away from that. Did you blow coolant ?
No coolant blown and no lights so that was a relief. I spoke to the rep at the center and requested they take pictures of all the damage as they evaluate it.
Old 05-13-2023 | 02:01 PM
HardRider
Racer

Originally Posted by detansinn
This is not true. The shops report the repairs to CarFax. The shops even report service visits to CarFax.
It's a comprehensive claim. Not a collision. It won't affect your premium.

This isn't a salvage title. This is a repair. Sure, there will be a minor value hit, but it's a still GT3 at the dusk of the ICE era. It really doesn't matter all that much. Heck, GT3s with range 6 overrevs are still getting $180k on BaT.

Sorry to hear about the OPs luck, but this shouldn't be a big deal. It will get fixed and the car will be awesome.
99.99999% of carfax records are from police reports. I took Carfax to court, I am very familiar with their business practice. Why would anyone volunteer information to carfax? Carfax doesn't pay anyone for any information, they rely on incorrect, not admissible in court police reports. The damage will be covered by his insurance the diminished value loss will not as he was the "at fault driver". This is a collision not comprehensive. Comprehensive would be stolen tires,........

By the way on a 2020 Ford F150 with zero damage and no proof of accident the carfax report indicating "accident" diminished the value from $52K to $45K (Before and after carvanna offers) as soon as Judge helped carfax understand and the carfax report was corrected value shot back to $54K. The majority of people will not buy a car that shows accident, you won't have the chance to convince them it minor.

Last edited by HardRider; 05-13-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2023 | 02:45 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leetos
It’s all good! **** happens and it won’t be long before it’s back to “new”. Just happy it wasn’t worse. Appreciate it 😁

As for the culprit… here you go!

Oh shoot! That's not a rock, that's a chunk of asphalt! You're right...that road is awful!
Old 05-13-2023 | 03:05 PM
SHooks
Rennlist Member

I hit a rock in my old cayman about the same size that made a hole the size of a fifty cent piece in the aluminum frame part between the front suspension.
USAA totaled the car. Make sure you go to a certified Porsche body shop for repairs
Old 05-13-2023 | 03:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leetos
I was honestly shocked by this estimate.
Have you actually lifted the car and looked at the damage if there is any, underneath?

Ever notice if you need a new windshield, out of pocket is it one lower price and if it is an insurance claim, one much higher price.
shammerman (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023 | 04:48 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

If the rock fell off something (or was a meteorite) and HIT YOUR CAR, it would be comprehensive. If it was stationary, and you hit it, the claim would be collision. It's the same with an animal strike. If the animal is sleeping in the middle of the road and you hit it, technically it's collision. If the animal is moving and runs across your path, then it's comprehensive. At least that's how it works here. Perhaps it's different among states and countries.

As far as Carfax goes, there are variables there too. Over the years, I've had many (yes, many) comprehensive claims (deer), and one time a fool backed into my unoccupied car. His insurance paid for the repair. I've never had any minor damage reported on carfax (never). That's just my data. YMMV.
justabout (05-19-2023)
Old 05-13-2023 | 06:38 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by SHooks
I hit a rock in my old cayman about the same size that made a hole the size of a fifty cent piece in the aluminum frame part between the front suspension.
USAA totaled the car. Make sure you go to a certified Porsche body shop for repairs
That’s my fear once they fully inspect it and get it on the lift. As of now, it sits waiting for its turn at a Porsche certified shop. Fingers crossed this isn’t the case but, I won’t hold my breath.
Old 05-13-2023 | 06:39 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
If the rock fell off something (or was a meteorite) and HIT YOUR CAR, it would be comprehensive. If it was stationary, and you hit it, the claim would be collision. It's the same with an animal strike. If the animal is sleeping in the middle of the road and you hit it, technically it's collision. If the animal is moving and runs across your path, then it's comprehensive. At least that's how it works here. Perhaps it's different among states and countries.

As far as Carfax goes, there are variables there too. Over the years, I've had many (yes, many) comprehensive claims (deer), and one time a fool backed into my unoccupied car. His insurance paid for the repair. I've never had any minor damage reported on carfax (never). That's just my data. YMMV.
Appreciate the insight from past experiences. As of now, insurance is the wisest route. We’ll see what the final number is and go from there.
Old 05-13-2023 | 06:41 PM
Leetos
Advanced

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Have you actually lifted the car and looked at the damage if there is any, underneath?

Ever notice if you need a new windshield, out of pocket is it one lower price and if it is an insurance claim, one much higher price.
I was not able to lift the vehicle but it is at a collision center and I’m waiting for photos and an estimate. With that and the estimate, I’m happy to update everyone here for further input. As it stands, it seems like insurance is the wisest route. I just want to drive my car 😅 that puppy has just over 25k miles and it never ceases to bring a smile to my face when driving or looking at it.
Old 05-13-2023 | 09:06 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Relatively speaking, roads n NC are the worst! Roads in SC are also bac. Roads in GA and FL are generally excellent by comparison. NC roads are more like NY roads than GA roads. That’s a shame. I suppose the reason for totaling the Cayman was that the repair would be 20k on a 40 k car, whereas here a 20k repair would be on a 160k car, so it would be worth repairing,

Quick Reply: Rock Destroyed Front End of GT3