Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Sun Visor - Mirror cover hinge broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023 | 09:53 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Question Replace Sun Visor - Mirror cover hinge broke

I have Espresso leather but the sun visors are fake leather, with warning stickers. Mirrors have lights.

Despite rarely using the mirror, the hinge broke on driver side.

Based on many searches, I cannot buy a replacement mirror or mirror cover, must replace entire sun visor.

I’ve seen a video, for a different Porsche (not a 991) with an oval shaped mirror where they did replace just the mirror & had to solder 2 wires to get the lights to work. I do not think this mirror is sold for 991.2.

I’ve read about owners using glue to ‘fix’ a broken hinge, only to have it break again in weeks.

I removed the sun visor (pry off cover with trim tool, remove one T-25 screw, unclip wiring harness) and examined the broken hinge & do not see any way to fix it.

To buy an OEM replacement, fake leather, Espresso left side (Driver) visor ~$350-$400. P/N: 9P1-857-551-A-OJ8 (the small white sticker on my visor visible after removal shows P/N: 9P1-857-551-AA-OJ8 Made in France.
IDK why there is an extra “A.”

To buy a leather visor set, Espresso, $1,695 from Suncoast and can get European version without the warning stickers.

I do not find anyone else selling the leather Espresso visor set, which is strange.

I also wonder if I can buy just the Driver/Left side visor, Espresso/fake leather without the warning sticker.

This mirror cover seems very flimsy & cheap.

Any suggestions re merchants or better price for leather, espresso, visor set?
Old 05-13-2023 | 03:13 AM
SConn
Drifting

Ugh....I just went through this with my driver side mirror. Barely used and the cover broke. So dumb cause a less OCD person probably could have just left it.
I ended up finding a used one on Ebay and replaced it. I have black and I imagine espresso will be a bit more difficult. Worth a try maybe to look on Ebay?
Old 05-13-2023 | 06:32 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Thanks,

I’ve been looking on eBay for used sun visors, as well.

Mine was rattling due to the broken hinge & the mirror cover not staying closed.

I wonder if anyone purchased a replacement (fake leather) w/o the sticker?

I’ve read about a few people who had their visors recovered in leather for less than Porsche sells the leather sun visors. But they must give the leather shop the old visor & mine is broken.
Old 05-13-2023 | 05:22 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Reach out to Classic 9, they do fantastic interiors, and likely have what you need for repair/replacement at lower price than new Porsche parts. They likely would have you send current visors and they can cover in new leather and repair the mirror, but reach out to them and see what they say. https://www.classic9leathershop.com
The following users liked this post:
TwinTurbo420 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-14-2023 | 08:37 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I sent an email to Classic 9 Friday & await their reply.
I had also sent an email to Delaware Porsche parts that had espresso color (fake ) leather sun visor Left) (SV) for $353 to ask if they sell w/o the sticker. (I hate to spend hundreds & then have to attempt to remove the sticker from my new SV… since the results seem to be mixed)

I searched eBay & Google, w/o success, for any used, Left, 991.2 SV, with lights. Any color. (I see many listings falsely state leather, LOL)

I’m thinking if the Classic 9 price to recover in leather is low enough, I can buy any color Left side SV & send that in along with my Right side SV & use my broken Left SV during the 4-6 week turnaround. I would check to see if Classic 9 strips off the fake leather rather than simply puts genuine leather over the old material, making the SV too thick. Also, if they put leather on the mirror cover, which would be a nice touch & make the Classic 9 leather SV nicer than the Suncoast Porsche Leather SV, which I assume does NOT have leather on the mirror covers.

If the Classic 9 price + shipping is low enough, I will have to buy a new Left SV for almost $400 & send it in with my Right SV. There would need to be enough savings to make it worth all the extra trouble & waiting vs. simply buying Suncoast leather SV set for $1,700.

I just discovered another option!
Suncoast sells fake leather set of SV (Espresso) for $799.95!
Without the stickers!
This would save me $900 vs. getting genuine leather.
I had searched Suncoast & never found this until today!
They call it “Leatherette.”
I don’t think they would sell just Left side for $400. Even if they did, I’d have to try to remove the sticker on my R SV.

So finally, I have some decent options.
IDK if I would really notice/appreciate having genuine leather SVs, after the 1st few drives vs. the Fake leather.

Maybe Classic 9 will come through with a reasonable cost, making it only a bit more to get leather vs. Leatherette?
Old 05-20-2023 | 05:21 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Update:

Delaware Porsche replied the next day saying that their sun visors all have the warning sticker.

Classic 9 is unprofessional & has not replied to 2 emails & 1 voice mail after many days. Too bad since they offer, on their website, to recover sun visor set for Porsche 997 for $410.00.

If they had replied & quoted me the same $410, I would have purchased a new left fake leather visor from Porsche for ~$400 & sent in my right visor + the new left visor & my total would have been $810 + shipping + tax.

I found a local leather shop, Scottsdale Auto Upholstery & asked the cost of recovering my fake leather SVs with genuine leather. Quick reply $1,700.00.
I politely declined explaining that I can buy Genuine leather SVs from Suncoast for $1695.

They replied saying those will have the stickers (wrong!) & he offered to remove stickers for me for ….$500. Wow.

I don’t know any good local leather shops.
So, I will either buy 2 new fake leather SVs from Suncoast for $799.95 (No stickers/European)

Or

Genuine leather SVs from Suncoast for $1,695. (No stickers/European)
Old 05-20-2023 | 01:20 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Update:

Delaware Porsche replied the next day saying that their sun visors all have the warning sticker.

Classic 9 is unprofessional & has not replied to 2 emails & 1 voice mail after many days. Too bad since they offer, on their website, to recover sun visor set for Porsche 997 for $410.00.

If they had replied & quoted me the same $410, I would have purchased a new left fake leather visor from Porsche for ~$400 & sent in my right visor + the new left visor & my total would have been $810 + shipping + tax.

I found a local leather shop, Scottsdale Auto Upholstery & asked the cost of recovering my fake leather SVs with genuine leather. Quick reply $1,700.00.
I politely declined explaining that I can buy Genuine leather SVs from Suncoast for $1695.

They replied saying those will have the stickers (wrong!) & he offered to remove stickers for me for ….$500. Wow.

I don’t know any good local leather shops.
So, I will either buy 2 new fake leather SVs from Suncoast for $799.95 (No stickers/European)

Or

Genuine leather SVs from Suncoast for $1,695. (No stickers/European)
There are many threads on here about removing the stickers from the sunvisor. I definitely wouldn't let that be the main factor in my decision. They also make black stickers specifically to hide the labels, which I've used on a few cars in the past. I know your interior isn't black, but it may still look better than the oem one.
Old 05-20-2023 | 04:40 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

It is easy to remove the sticker and the results are perfect. Anyone with poor results didn't follow the method properly. You should definitely not buy two visors when only one is broken.
Old 05-20-2023 | 08:23 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Yes, I have read many posts re removing the visor stickers.

I never even considered paying that overpriced $500 to remove stickers.
I would not even pay $50.

I must buy a new driver side sun visor. I cannot find a used one in Espresso anywhere.

If I buy from a Porsche dealer online (my local dealer is always MSRP or even higher for parts!) it will cost almost $400.
If I buy from Suncoast I can get the European (no sticker) for $800 for set of 2.

The photos I have seen after successful sticker removal look much better but, you can still see where the sticker was. I also read several posts where the removal was very difficult. Even after the person had read & followed the procedure of someone else who said it was very easy.

I will not pay ~ $400 for a new fake leather visor WITH the sticker when I can buy one w/o sticker for just a tiny bit more. (Yes, I must buy a set of 2)

I’m deciding on whether I wish to upgrade to genuine leather or not.

I thought it was a shame that Classic 9 was flaky & did not respond. I think they were bought out a year or 2 ago & obviously the new owners have bad customer service.
Old 05-20-2023 | 08:41 PM
jrider36
Advanced

I'm also in the market for a sun visor. In my case my drivers side sun visor is missing the mirror cover and I hate the stickers as well. I just found some stickers on Ebay that cover the stupid warning stickers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224677822743

I'm also looking at purchasing a used black leatherette sun visor to replace mine - just confused about the attachment for my targa vs cab vs coupe. I've found one that appears to have the larger trapezoid like attachment but the add says it comes off a coupe. I thought the coupe has a smaller/different shaped attachment.
Old 05-21-2023 | 02:23 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

In my many searches, including on Suncoast, you needed to specify Coupe vs. Targa or Cabrio.
I assume they are different so, make sure you specify Targa.

Note: Suncoast charges significantly more for Targa/Cabrio vs Coupe.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991EUV.html
Old 05-21-2023 | 12:43 PM
jrider36
Advanced

In the options it says Targa or Cabrio +200. So yes it's more expensive but I believe the targa and cabrio share the same attachment which is different than the coupe.
Old 05-21-2023 | 05:32 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Happy to give you some direction for a perfect sticker removal. Mine had zero residue. I have learned a few tricks, having done this on a few cars. You would never know there was a sticker there previously. Just PM me if interested. If you are seriously considering buying two, you might as well try sticker removal on it now, if you are not satisfied, then order two instead of one.
Old 12-05-2023 | 10:06 PM
Snowman911
AutoX

Default This...

The hinge on my 991.1 gts passenger side mirror broke too. It's just some cheap plastic pin. I ordered this one from alibaba and it's a direct fit and the pins that hold them in are metal! Better quality IMHO.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805890752441.html

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2023 | 10:44 PM
VII7
Racer

That is a good update!
Just noticed one of mine is cracked, never thought I'd buy something from aliexpress but there is no way I'm giving Porsche $400 for a poorly made plastic visor.

Quick Reply: Replace Sun Visor - Mirror cover hinge broke