Sponsored by:

Windshield for a 991.1 Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 07:57 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 388 Posts
Default Windshield for a 991.1 Targa 4S

The first great mystery of my modern era 911 tenure. A foot long crack on the windshield that starts at the base of the windshield and curves up horizontally. This did not happen while driving; no rock chips, etc.. The car has six months left on the CPO, but it does not cover a windshield of course. A google search indicated one replacement was covered, but PNA says “sorry”.
It is what it is; needs to be replaced so call the dealer where the car was purchased. The new windshield, remove, install & calibrate can be done for $ 2,350. I expected a high number, but that one surprised me. So I called “the” local dealership, $ 2,950!
The dealers provide the windshield, but all outsource the install. So called around and found the independent that actually does the install for the local dealer. He shared that they pay them $ 1,350 for the windshield. Installed & calibrated they want $ 1,950. Not sure I want to trust there calibration.

Anyone have an experience replacing a windshield?

I did a search here without results.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 432 Posts

I had the windshield replaced on my 991.1 C2S. Went to the dealer to find out who they farmed it out to. Then went to that shop and scheduled the job. They had to have the VIN # to be sure they got the correct windshield. When I picked up the car, they had calibrated everything and it was all good. If the dealer farms it all out to an independent it has to be a quality operation, because then dealer is responsible for the installation.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:28 PM
TonyVan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Got a foot long crack in the windshield of our 2019 Targa GTS. $100.00 deductible with State Farm. They wanted to send me to a Safelite franchise and I insisted on dealer installed OEM replacement. My dealer does the work themselves and I felt more comfortable having them reset things. Total was $3300.00. My PCA discount covered the deductible and then some.
Tony
Old 05-12-2023, 09:28 AM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rwbern
The first great mystery of my modern era 911 tenure. A foot long crack on the windshield that starts at the base of the windshield and curves up horizontally. This did not happen while driving; no rock chips, etc.. The car has six months left on the CPO, but it does not cover a windshield of course. A google search indicated one replacement was covered, but PNA says “sorry”.
It is what it is; needs to be replaced so call the dealer where the car was purchased. The new windshield, remove, install & calibrate can be done for $ 2,350. I expected a high number, but that one surprised me. So I called “the” local dealership, $ 2,950!
The dealers provide the windshield, but all outsource the install. So called around and found the independent that actually does the install for the local dealer. He shared that they pay them $ 1,350 for the windshield. Installed & calibrated they want $ 1,950. Not sure I want to trust there calibration.

Anyone have an experience replacing a windshield?

I did a search here without results.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
"Yes" on replacing shield. Dealer orders and one of the local franchises install in your driveway. Two things: As explained by the tech. Start the glue bead at the top middle so as not to have the bead start and end at the bottom. less chance of water leaks.
The second is the calibration......Mine has been done twice as the auto high beam now has a mind of its own. switching back and forth at inappropriate times. Advice...take the car out the first night and check for correctness, so that you will get them back immediately for re-adjustment.
Lastly, stay off the Long Island Expressway!
Old 05-12-2023, 09:55 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Not sure why all the shopping around for prices. Call your insurance company, file a claim, take it where you are most comfortable. Safelite did mine, but I insisted on their most experienced technician who had much experience and had done countless Porsches. OEM glass and the result was perfect. Cost to me was zero.

Quick Reply: Windshield for a 991.1 Targa 4S