Sponsored by:

Cup 2 vs PS4 for street

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 04:21 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Cup 2 vs PS4 for street

I have a 17 Carrera with E-Motion front control arms and -2.5 camber front and rear ,DSC with KW HAS lowering springs by Litchfield. I had PS4 on my Forgeline rims and have a set of Cup 2N0 from 2016. They have been in a climate control darkened room and are in great shape. Thought I would put them on my stock rims and just see how they worked. I have had them for 4 yrs but never mounted them. I was expecting a poor ride, noisy and no grip until warmed up. I found in 70 degree ambient temps the grip considerably better than the PS4 even before the tires came up to temp. The ride was better than the PS4's. and less noisy. I was really suprised. I have not driven it in the wet so I am sure not as good as PS4 but I think the Cup tires make a great street tire.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Interesting input for sure, as I've occasionally wondered about switching to Cup 2s on my Carrera. I daily drove a 981 GT4 on Cup 2s and was amazed by them—perhaps even more so than after testing them on all manner of GT cars and the 918. They worked well in anything other than standing water, and lasted better than I would have expected from an R-compound tires. Weren't great on first-rain LA freeways (although, what is?) and in a freak summer snow storm on Donner Pass (eek!). Interesting on comment re: noise between Cup 2 and PS4S. Am currently benchmarking some all-seasons for a friend at Falken, and am shocked by how much quieter they are on the freeway.

Probably should note: Cup 2s are not approved for the 991.2 Carrera, while Pirelli Corsas are.

With that said, I've been very impressed my PS4S on my Carrera. They won't withstand a full session on track, but this isn't a track day car and their performance capabilities on the road are frankly surreal—getting pretty far inside the head of a good 992 GT3 driver on some sort of wild track-day tires who couldn't stay on pace on an admittedly tricky road. Kind of felt bad when he asked how much pressure I was bleeding off at the next stop. It was a lot (I'd forgot to drop the PS4S to comfort pressures, but was having too much fun to slow down). PS4S last fairly well, too: I'm getting ~10,000 miles out of the rears on a lowered 991.2. Fronts seem to be good for 15,000-20,000 miles.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:37 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Cup 2s are loud and skittish with standing water... they are a "Track Tire". They are expensive and will be worn out quickly on the street, just throwing money away not using what they are made for.
There is absolutely no reason to have these unless to track your car aka drive them to the track and than back home.

Last edited by snake eyes; 05-05-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:47 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Sorry, but I disagree . In warm weather, they are a great street tire. Maybe in the wet and temps below 50 degrees they might not be that great as a street tire. I have put 300miles on them in the last few days and a combination of street and highway and I think they are great. I think they get a bad rap as a street tire and I think that PS4 as great as they are, are over rated .I might be weird because I think that P Zero N1, which get a bad rap also, are a pretty good tire too. I had P Corsas on my Ferrari and R compound on my Pantera and put thousands of miles on them on the street and thought they were great.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:40 PM
CHB
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
I might be weird because I think that P Zero N1, which get a bad rap also, are a pretty good tire too.
I agree with this, the N1 were pretty good for me.

Regarding street driving, I also preferred the cup2 over ps4s, since I disliked the softer ps4s sidewall. And as mentioned above, it does depend what climate you live and drive in. Cup2 require more thought when raining or cold, and you need to avoid standing water.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:39 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I have PS4s on my 2018 Carrera and 2014 Boxster and Cup 2s on my 992 GT3. I can't comment on noise or wet performance etc because the cars are so different and I drive them for different purposes.

What I can offer is that Cup 2s are much more sticky. They wear fast and are more expensive. I would never use them for just the street, it is waste because you wont benefit from their real performance since you really can't push the car to its limits on streets.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:21 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Ive had Cup 2s and PS4s on a number of P. The only downside of the Cups is in the wet and on loose gravel, they pick up and throw a lot of loose dust and chippings
Old 05-06-2023, 02:26 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 246 Posts

I had Cup 2s on my GT4 and now Cup 2s on my 991.2 Carrera T. I think many people saying they are not streetable are repeating internet rhetoric and don't have personal experience.

On the GT4 I drove from S. Florida to Minneapolis, did a road rally, then tracked at Road America. 3K miles in a week. Shipped car home and did more track days. And drove it to work. And drove it all over. I think I had 4-5K miles on that set when I sold the car and they were still going strong and still safe in the rain.

So far on the 991.2, enjoying them there as well. May not wear as well as I don't have the suspension package I had on the GT4, time will tell. But I have never driven a Porsche and said to myself, "boy, I wish I had less grip." So why not have the most fun you can each time you drive the car?

In my experience, at temps over 50 degrees they don't need any time to come up to temp. Never drove below that. In the rain, yes, you do have to drive slower than on a 4S. But you can still maintain the speed limit in most scenarios.

Maybe some opinions on the Cup 2 are rooted in the impression on the original Cup. That tire truly stunk in the rain and when cold. But times have changed. Many high performance, dual purpose cars now come outfitted from the factory on Cup 2s. Porsche and Ford quickly come to mind.

If you are never going to go to the track, never drive on twisty back roads, etc. then sure, just get the 4S. But if you want to enjoy those pleasurable moments to the max when they present themselves, and don't want to keep swapping out tires, you won't sacrifice much on your daily commute. I like to be ready to play in the car at a moments notice, so I leave them on all the time.

Last edited by jakermc; 05-06-2023 at 02:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jakermc:
F355bob (05-06-2023), Need4S (05-11-2023), spyderbret (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:06 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

I daily drove my 991.2 GTS with Cup 2 last year and had no concerns as a daily driver tire.

Excellent grip on the street and enjoyed the extra grip at the track.
Had many days with rain when daily driving to and from work (most of the drive at highway speeds) and had no concerns except for 1 day with HEAVY rain, and I was driving slower to avoid a problem (rather than feeling I had no grip / hydroplaning.
No snow / <40 F temps as I put on Alpin PA4 winter tires for the winter.

The rears were gone at 6000 miles (at the wear bars) but still had tons of grip in the dry. Fronts were still close to 50% tread remaining.

Replacing them next week with Nankang CR-S (2023 compound) as a trial. Excited to try them, and for the price of 2 rear Cup 2 tires, I was able to get a full set of the CR-S. Apparently the 2023 compound reviews very well.

Don't have a 3rd set for the track, but when I do have a 3rd set will likely go with the PS4S for the summer, and a more track oriented tire for the track.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:51 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So you’re comparing new SC2’s to used PS4’s? How many miles are on the PS4’s?

I ran through several sets of SC2’s on my GT 350 Mustang and they are like fly paper the first few heat cycles but fall off fairly quickly. I’ll be curious to how much better they are after a thousand miles or so. I have PS4’s that replaced PZero’s on my C2S and they are noticeably better in every way compared to PZero’s.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:07 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
So you’re comparing new SC2’s to used PS4’s? How many miles are on the PS4’s?

I ran through several sets of SC2’s on my GT 350 Mustang and they are like fly paper the first few heat cycles but fall off fairly quickly. I’ll be curious to how much better they are after a thousand miles or so. I have PS4’s that replaced PZero’s on my C2S and they are noticeably better in every way compared to PZero’s.
I absolutely hated the brand new PZeros that came with my car last year, changed them into PS4S after one month. Night and day, car felt like a totally different car.
The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (05-06-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 10:49 AM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

PS4S are solid for street use, they are significantly better then cup 2's during cold and wet conditions.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:32 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrpat3l
PS4S are solid for street use, they are significantly better then cup 2's during cold and wet conditions.

Agree totally. In cold, below 50 degrees and wet the PS4 is a better street tire and I will switch back to my PS4 at the end of summer The original post was if the Cup 2 could be a good street tire in summer temps and it is. I think that even with Cup2s not up to max temp on the street, it is better in grip in the dry than the PS4. I just got back from a 40 mile drive in 62 temps and the tire pressure went form 26F 29R to 30F and 32R so had a little heat in them and the grip according to my g meter and seat of the pants was greater, more stable, and what always felt like tread squirm is gone, than my PS4 under same conditions. Car was completely stable even with cold tires. I also think it rides better. Yes you will not get the maximum out of them on the street, but still more grip than the PS4. Seems like you hear so many people say they are scary on the street and that was what I was expecting. Just my personal experience. My suspension is not stock, spherical bearing front suspension and on the rear upright, with increased negative camber, so maybe that has something to do with it. Others might disagree but for those who are thinking of Cup2 on the street, from my perspective, don't be afraid to try it if you have a spare set of rims. My tires are NO and I am sure the N1 is even better.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 12:02 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Agree totally. In cold, below 50 degrees and wet the PS4 is a better street tire and I will switch back to my PS4 at the end of summer The original post was if the Cup 2 could be a good street tire in summer temps and it is. I think that even with Cup2s not up to max temp on the street, it is better in grip in the dry than the PS4. I just got back from a 40 mile drive in 62 temps and the tire pressure went form 26F 29R to 30F and 32R so had a little heat in them and the grip according to my g meter and seat of the pants was greater, more stable, and what always felt like tread squirm is gone, than my PS4 under same conditions. Car was completely stable even with cold tires. I also think it rides better. Yes you will not get the maximum out of them on the street, but still more grip than the PS4. Seems like you hear so many people say they are scary on the street and that was what I was expecting. Just my personal experience. My suspension is not stock, spherical bearing front suspension and on the rear upright, with increased negative camber, so maybe that has something to do with it. Others might disagree but for those who are thinking of Cup2 on the street, from my perspective, don't be afraid to try it if you have a spare set of rims. My tires are NO and I am sure the N1 is even better.

Definitely a street tire capable for the right conditions.

Agree with @F355bob assessment.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:43 PM
gIzzE
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran them on my 996 last summer.
I find the PS4, and even the PS4S, really poor for steering feel. Not positive off centre at all.

I run the PS4 over winter, it is great in the wet and....pretty quiet, but I hate the steering feel. A few users have started fitting the new Bridgestone Potenza Sports and say that super precise steering feel is back.

But the Cup 2 is great in the dry, it has a firmer side wall and so you can run it at lower pressures, I ran mine at 32F and 34R compared to 36F and 39R on the PS4s.
Turn is just off centre feels much better, but still not as good as some other tyres.

Quick Reply: Cup 2 vs PS4 for street