Sponsored by:

Newbie 991 Purchase Woes.. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default I would somewhat agree

But would be fine with something from orl!no north (ie carfax indicates ownership in those areas). Parts of Florida are very isolated from storms and almost all vehicles are garaged.

I would never look at a car near miami. Hialeah has the majority of chop shops in the US.

Originally Posted by detansinn
Eliminate the Florida cars from consideration. Now, you just have 3 to PPI.

Florida is well known for title washed cars, everything from salvage titles to flood damage. No good comes from buying a Florida car unless you know that specific car’s provenance.

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 04-08-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default I would disagree

And say that cpo cars are more likely to have issues than private purchase because they are largely procured at auction with no service history. Also, up to 3 body panels can be destroyed (think front clip). I would pick a private individual first, a dealership second and carmax third. I think you would have as much luck at a 911 specialty shop as a Porsche dealer and they may even be more honest regarding condition.

More interesting is your lack or choice between a cab or hardtop. Have you driven both ? Is this your first sports car ? If so, spectacular choice but take your time and drive a few. Prices are only getting better each time there is a fed rate hike.

Originally Posted by WP0
If you don't know what you're looking for, and can't inspect it yourself, I would stick with a higher price and dealership CPO cars, which is no guarantee, but it protects you. Otherwise, there is lots of risk involved in buying a Porsche sight unseen, as a recent GT3 RS buyer just learned, even with a "PPI". (see GT3 RS forum for details)

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 04-08-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

If all come back with a great PPI, which one do you buy? Get a PPI on that one and see what it looks like. If it’s good then you are done. Narrow down the cars based on options and color and mileage and come up with a priority list.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:05 PM
Praecox
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with recommendations for CPO cars… have been driving Porsches for 50 years… went to a dealer last year to test drive a Grey Carrera when a Miami Blue 997.2 pulled into the lot… gorgeous- told the salesman I wanted to buy it, but wasn’t allowed to test it since they hadn’t inspected it yet… they did however let me sit inside- with the engine off… I came back 2 days later with a check… because it was a CPO, and the dealer had a good reputation, I just wasn’t worried about the condition of the car (yes, of course, I drove it first)… and so now it is one year later and I have zero problems with the car… and it still remains with CPO warranty… and it’s still gorgeous… doesn’t get better than that…

Quick Reply: Newbie 991 Purchase Woes.. need help!