Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Upcoming service maintenance plan - reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:05 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

If you are ultra picky as I am, you do it yourself for a job done right.
BUT, many people like me and others......live in a city...in an apt or condo....and can't work on cars in the underground garage. My garage space is big enough for 1 Porsche and soon to be 1 Ducati...costs 70K but bylaws that I agreed to when I bought it, clearly state that other than waxing or light stuff such as adding oil or washer fluid....no work on vehicles. Not everyone lives or even wants to live out in a burbs, has access to their own lift and garage. Ergo, we can't do it ourselves even if we want to. I mean I could, if I had a place to do it.
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:32 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
BUT, many people like me and others......live in a city...in an apt or condo....and can't work on cars in the underground garage.
Understandable. Same thing at the condo in Australia; can't work in the garage. But they do have a double bay shop on the grounds where people can work on their boat, car or whatever.

But simply having dealer records as proof the vehicle is better than any other is pure you-know-what. If buyers think it is, fill your boots. You now have to look at how the car was driven and by how many previous owners and that is next to impossible. I prefer not to buy used for that reason alone. My used 993 had 42K miles and it being my first Porsche, I took a chance. My used 991.1 GTS had 98 miles and I still did a paint thickness test and checked for over-revs. Personally, I keep it under 3500 RPM for about 10 miles till all the fluids have fully warmed up and even after that, it has not even seen redline yet, not even close. Having been in aviation, I respect my engines.

If I ever sell my GTS and that is not likely, it won't go cheap.

Which Ducati?

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-16-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:05 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Waiting for a new 2023 Panigale V4S. Supposed to be here next month. I considered V4SP2, but that another 10 K or so and I don't track or race bikes anymore. I sold my 2017 1299 S last October when I got the 911, but I still have the bike bug. Have a deposit down on it. Just waiting. It's been a cold and wet spring here in March, so even if I did have it...It would be in the garage. They redesigned the tank and fairings, so I think it'll fit me better now. I did not like the fit of the V4S when it first came out. I will just ger radiator screens and DP rear sets, and skip the 8K Akra twin high exhaust and 2K to install it. For 10K I'd rather get GTS turbos and tune on the 911.

Last edited by DC911S; 03-16-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:45 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 122 Posts

I have no issues selling any of my vehicles. I can document maintenance better than any dealership, I have receipts for parts and pictures of the process (yes its adds tons of value). In reality how do you know the spark plugs get changed and some PPO tech isn't pencil whipping what was done. How do you know the air filter was changed? Not like you can open the air cleaner and inspect, need to remove bumper. It's your money, I recommend you stand and watch them do the work if they have a problem, leave immediately. Why was my certified ppo 911 sold with new tires but the alignment out? Why was my water pump leaking and not caught by the CPO process? Truth be told they said they changed plugs, did they? Guess I could pull one that is easy to access........... My guess most are not replaced vs replaced if the car has very low miles. Truth be told I prefer that before some "expert tech" screws something else up while doing the maintenance.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HardRider
I can document maintenance better than any dealership,
Used to it from the aircraft maintenance logs. Same for my MS Excel and Word files for all my vehicles along with all the receipts.

There are good and bad with dealers and indy shops. Some people are professionals, some are not. Some people care, some do not.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:43 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
I have no issues selling any of my vehicles. I can document maintenance better than any dealership, I have receipts for parts and pictures of the process (yes its adds tons of value). In reality how do you know the spark plugs get changed and some PPO tech isn't pencil whipping what was done. How do you know the air filter was changed? Not like you can open the air cleaner and inspect, need to remove bumper. It's your money, I recommend you stand and watch them do the work if they have a problem, leave immediately. Why was my certified ppo 911 sold with new tires but the alignment out? Why was my water pump leaking and not caught by the CPO process? Truth be told they said they changed plugs, did they? Guess I could pull one that is easy to access........... My guess most are not replaced vs replaced if the car has very low miles. Truth be told I prefer that before some "expert tech" screws something else up while doing the maintenance.
The last spark plug that is hard to get to........I bet isn't replaced by the tech without supervision. I wonder how often this happens?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:20 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
The last spark plug that is hard to get to........I bet isn't replaced by the tech without supervision. I wonder how often this happens?

I hope it happens a lot that way it is not cross threaded..... In the end get what you paid for. If you agree to $1 or $4K to get something done ensure it is all done, all complete, all OEM parts. This isn't asking too much. If I was buying a car off an airplane mechanic I would feel better than any auto mechanic. I have worked around a couple over in my life and they are a cut above, they have to be, life depends on it.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:09 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

hahaha That's what I was going to say. It took me a while to do that last plug also.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:11 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 97supratt
hahaha That's what I was going to say. It took me a while to do that last plug also.
What cylinder number would that be because I did all of mine last summer.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:24 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

This is in reference to those who have mentioned DYI over shop service:
I have full confidence in the quality, attention to detail, and documentation that are associated with certain DIY projects. I myself am an individual who is in the same position as you, as I work on most of my cars. However, the matter at hand pertains more to resale value and the factors that most potential buyers consider when purchasing a Porsche. Unfortunately, not all buyers are enthusiasts like us. Most people, dealers, and auctioneers utilize Carfax & shop receipts as a definitive source to evaluate a vehicle's history. As you are aware, our high-quality DIY work is not reflected in Carfax.
Currently, I am in the process of purchasing a Macan GTS that I will be acquiring soon. The Carfax report reveals a lengthy list of services provided by a Porsche dealer from the first day of purchase, but there is a 17k service gap in between. I reached out to the dealer for further details, and they provided me with a summary of all services rendered. I discovered that there were eight entries that had not been reported to Carfax. The dealer's service summary provided me with reassurance that all necessary services had been performed on schedule. They also informed me that the Porsche Dealer service history (Carfax) is one of the factors in the CPO qualification process.
For these reasons, it is not as simple as black and white; various factors contribute to how one would decide to a maintain a car. While I am a proponent of DIY, it depends on the vehicle and your intentions for it. Furthermore, some individuals are not mechanically inclined and do not find joy in that type of work. For some, the time spent working on a car is not fulfilling, and they prefer to engage in other activities. Ultimately, we are all unique in our preferences and choices.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:39 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

Run Forest run! that is robbery
Old 03-18-2023, 01:40 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I upload all of my DIY documentation on Carfax. You can do that.

I'm not selling any of my three Porsches anyway - ever. They are just too dang hard to get new, especially my GT3.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:43 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What cylinder number would that be because I did all of mine last summer.
I can't remember which number but there was no room for a socket, ratchet and the exhaust manifold.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I can't remember which number but there was no room for a socket, ratchet and the exhaust manifold.
Maybe the cylinders to the front of the car (#3 and #6) because of the electronic gizmo mounted there. I just removed the 6mm bolt that held it in place to make room.

One thing is for sure, you need a good selection of tools which I have had for many decades.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-18-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:39 PM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

I learned from this forum how to upload DIY work with associated receipts to Carfax. I will also start to add photos as proof of work performed. Not only is DIY satisfying, but it avoids hassle of time spent dropping off and picking up car from dealer/Indy. Take the $ saved to buy more tools 😉.
PS - $4k for that work is ridiculous.

Last edited by 911T4ME; 03-18-2023 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Upcoming service maintenance plan - reasonable?