Sponsored by:

Just installed FVD tune on my '17 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:43 PM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up Just installed FVD tune on my '17 GTS

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): I've never seen a tune make such a huge difference in a car with no other modifications.

First off, a huge kudos and thank you to @Rhonda@FVD , Dragan, and Emir, for all their help. The initial MyGenius that they sent turned out to be defective, but they were super friendly in helpful in getting it sorted and replaced under warranty.

I've driven a number of modified and tuned cars over the years. Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, McLarens, etc., so I had some idea of what to expect between stock and tuned, and the gains to be expected from a good tune. Bearing that in mind, I sent off my saved config file to FVD last night, and woke up this morning to an email from Dragan, ran into the garage like a kid heading to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, and installed the tune.
I took the car out, puttered along like normal while waiting for oil and water temps to get up to the operating range. The car ran like stock: docile, easy to drive, no lurching, for all intents and purposes it just hummed along like a Honda Accord.

Then when everything got up to operating temps I found some open road and punched it.
HOLY ****. I kid you not, I was so shocked I uttered some expletives and damn near p*ssed my pants. Bear in mind I was still in normal mode.
So, I switched over to Sport, and did the same. And then Sport Plus, and hammered it again.

The only way I can describe the way it gobbles road and gains velocity is VIOLENTLY. The only two cars that come to mind that I've driven that I could equate to the experience were a GT2RS MR and a modified McLaren 675LT. The way the car gathers speed on the roll is on par with my buddy's Tesla (albeit with a lot more fun and drama).
This tune didn't just wake up the car. This didn't transform the power or throttle response. This utterly and completely changed the total character of the car.

Before buying my 991.2 GTS I drove a number (4, to be exact) tuned 991.2 GTS cars owned by friends to see if there was a big enough difference to get the 991.2 vs the 991.1 (I originally leaned towards the 991.1 due to the sound of the NA engine.). I've driven cars tuned by COBB and Fabspeed, as well as a couple of smaller local shops. To be blunt, the FVD tune makes the COBB and Fabspeed cars feel anemic and asthmatic by comparison.
I realize this just sounds like a ton of hyperbole, but having grown up driving and modifying performance cars and race cars (including some time as a paid professional driver) I've never seen a change this huge from a simple tune.

FVD claims their tune adds 60hp at the crank. I call complete and utter BS to the claim. The difference is big enough that I'd be shocked if the actual difference isn't at least 50% greater than that.
I have no connections to FVD (other than as a paying customer), they didn't ask me to post this, I just had to share my experience. I'm honestly shocked and amazed still, and trying to truly find a way to adequately express how huge a difference this tune made.

I've got the FVD/M&M valved exhaust on order (should be here middle of February), can't wait to get that installed, too.

Wow, just WOW. I keep alternating between giggling, laughing maniacally, and swearing exhaustively. I loved my car before, but now I'm in lust with it.
The following 7 users liked this post by PathfinderGTS:
GT3FZS (01-22-2023), IronTexan (01-21-2023), jesm (01-19-2023), Pakman996-991.2 (01-19-2023), pro1200 (01-20-2023), Rhonda@FVD (01-19-2023), Scott O'Connor (01-20-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-19-2023, 06:55 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PathfinderGTS
BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): I've never seen a tune make such a huge difference in a car with no other modifications.

First off, a huge kudos and thank you to @Rhonda@FVD , Dragan, and Emir, for all their help. The initial MyGenius that they sent turned out to be defective, but they were super friendly in helpful in getting it sorted and replaced under warranty.

I've driven a number of modified and tuned cars over the years. Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, McLarens, etc., so I had some idea of what to expect between stock and tuned, and the gains to be expected from a good tune. Bearing that in mind, I sent off my saved config file to FVD last night, and woke up this morning to an email from Dragan, ran into the garage like a kid heading to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, and installed the tune.
I took the car out, puttered along like normal while waiting for oil and water temps to get up to the operating range. The car ran like stock: docile, easy to drive, no lurching, for all intents and purposes it just hummed along like a Honda Accord.

Then when everything got up to operating temps I found some open road and punched it.
HOLY ****. I kid you not, I was so shocked I uttered some expletives and damn near p*ssed my pants. Bear in mind I was still in normal mode.
So, I switched over to Sport, and did the same. And then Sport Plus, and hammered it again.

The only way I can describe the way it gobbles road and gains velocity is VIOLENTLY. The only two cars that come to mind that I've driven that I could equate to the experience were a GT2RS MR and a modified McLaren 675LT. The way the car gathers speed on the roll is on par with my buddy's Tesla (albeit with a lot more fun and drama).
This tune didn't just wake up the car. This didn't transform the power or throttle response. This utterly and completely changed the total character of the car.

Before buying my 991.2 GTS I drove a number (4, to be exact) tuned 991.2 GTS cars owned by friends to see if there was a big enough difference to get the 991.2 vs the 991.1 (I originally leaned towards the 991.1 due to the sound of the NA engine.). I've driven cars tuned by COBB and Fabspeed, as well as a couple of smaller local shops. To be blunt, the FVD tune makes the COBB and Fabspeed cars feel anemic and asthmatic by comparison.
I realize this just sounds like a ton of hyperbole, but having grown up driving and modifying performance cars and race cars (including some time as a paid professional driver) I've never seen a change this huge from a simple tune.

FVD claims their tune adds 60hp at the crank. I call complete and utter BS to the claim. The difference is big enough that I'd be shocked if the actual difference isn't at least 50% greater than that.
I have no connections to FVD (other than as a paying customer), they didn't ask me to post this, I just had to share my experience. I'm honestly shocked and amazed still, and trying to truly find a way to adequately express how huge a difference this tune made.I

I've got the FVD/M&M valved exhaust on order (should be here middle of February), can't wait to get that installed, too.

Wow, just WOW. I keep alternating between giggling, laughing maniacally, and swearing exhaustively. I loved my car before, but now I'm in lust with it.
I had the FVD tune on my 17 Carrera and it had violent acceleration but there was a off throttle dead spot that Dragan could not fix so I returned it and got a Softronic tune. I think what you are feeling is the FVD has a huge spike in torque at around 2000-3000rpm whereas tunes like Softronic are more linear without the huge spike. I know what you are feeling because I had the same experience with my FVD tune. But I can reach the same speed on a given on ramp with the FVD as the Softronic. I think HP and torque are very similar in gains but the power delivery curve is different.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (01-22-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 07:51 PM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F355bob
I had the FVD tune on my 17 Carrera and it had violent acceleration but there was a off throttle dead spot that Dragan could not fix so I returned it and got a Softronic tune. I think what you are feeling is the FVD has a huge spike in torque at around 2000-3000rpm whereas tunes like Softronic are more linear without the huge spike. I know what you are feeling because I had the same experience with my FVD tune. But I can reach the same speed on a given on ramp with the FVD as the Softronic. I think HP and torque are very similar in gains but the power delivery curve is different.
I’m curious where you experienced the off-throttle dead spot, I haven’t found any dead spots (yet). Which model is your 991?
Old 01-19-2023, 08:02 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

17 Carrera. It was at light throttle around 2500 rpm at highyway speeds. With throttle it was stumble for a second and then be fine. They sent some patches but could not resolve it. It was a great tune
and really liked it but for the stumble
Old 01-19-2023, 10:35 PM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

17 Carrera. It was at light throttle around 2500 rpm at highyway speeds. With throttle it was stumble for a second and then be fine. They sent some patches but could not resolve it. It was a great tune
and really liked it but for the stumble
I wonder if it’s somehow related to the smaller turbo on the base Carrera. I tried to get mine to stumble like that and couldn’t get it to. Regardless, glad to hear you’re happy with your current tune, at least!
Old 01-20-2023, 12:35 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PathfinderGTS
I wonder if it’s somehow related to the smaller turbo on the base Carrera. I tried to get mine to stumble like that and couldn’t get it to. Regardless, glad to hear you’re happy with your current tune, at least!

Thanks glad your setup is working .FVD makes a great tune.
PathfinderGTS (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:07 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

I also have the FVD tune- installed by previous owner. Does anyone have a dyno of 991.2 with just the FVD tune or with minor upgrades. I also have 200 cell Soul cats, but I'm curious about power and torque to wheels with this tune and the delivery curve. I will say that the tune comes on quite strong early on. I haven't noticed any off/part throttle issues on my 2019 991T
GT3FZS (01-22-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the same FVD tune as well in my 2018 T. Very happy with the power delivery. Love the midrange punch for the street.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:22 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 727 Posts

Sounds awesome. Now, let's see some dyno numbers!
911T4ME (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:13 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

I have the same positive kudos for Rhonda, Dragan and FVD for their tuning work on my 2016 Panamera Turbo, which also has their larger turbos and downpipes. Horsepower went from 525 to 750. Needless to say, it's a sleeper beast in Sport mode, snarling, even with OEM exhaust.
PathfinderGTS (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:42 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,212 Likes on 609 Posts

Some of the tunes adjust the throttle map to give more response on tip in (i.e., 10% pedal position could mean 20% throttle), but others have a more linear program (10% pedal = 10% throttle). I suspect some of these impressions people have of one tune feeling so much more powerful are from playing with these throttle pedal maps and less to do with fuel/timing/boost curves. Basically the tune is making the throttle extra sensitive to pedal inputs, so things feel more responsive but there isn’t any difference in real performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
F355bob (01-20-2023), GT3FZS (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:29 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, adjusting throttle versus pedal % could change the feel, but I'd guess it also involves the boost curve versus rpm. Possibly the FVD tune gits with more boost earlier. Would be interesting to see dyno curves of the competing 991.2 tunes on the same car. In any event, with any of these tunes our cars are darn quick, so at some point it feels like splitting hairs.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:51 PM
GTS99ONE
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Would love to see someone post a video of the acceleration!

Quick Reply: Just installed FVD tune on my '17 GTS