Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Fault Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 05:16 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Honestly, when I hear something that wild, maybe it’s the one telling the story that's not right. Possibly bad ECU in general, that's getting all the inputs and determining them, not the components.
I mentioned the ECU /DME and they don’t want to install a new one as there’s no clear source of fault.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:17 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by barncobob
im going for the rodents
That was the first thing they checked, but rodent damage has been ruled out.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:18 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2-Rotor
Do you have anything aftermarket wired into the car? Like for example rader detector/ jammer? Aftermarket stereo or dash cam? These cars dont like things spliced into the factory wiring harnesses.
Nope, nothing aftermarket, totally standard. Not even a dash cam.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:30 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Default Further Update

Thanks for the previous suggestions; I have just spoken to the service manager this morning and the crankshaft/crankshaft sensor have been ruled out. The current line of thought (read ‘guess’) is that the low pressure fuel pump is faulty, so they’ve ordered one from Germany and will install it next week. Here we go with another roll of the dice…

Right now, I’m not sure I want it back, as I don’t feel I can ever trust it again. At what stage do I get my money refunded? Unlike the US, there’s no ‘Lemon Law’ in the UK.

I’ve written to Porsche GB this week to try and open up dialogue. So far, I’ve only received a standard ‘we’re busy and will get back to you’ response. Very disappointing.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:25 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Is car under warranty?
The following users liked this post:
Scutterpants (05-26-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 11:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks like a CANBUS wiring loom problem. No way that many sensors fail at once. Could be a chaffed or broken wire in the bus wiring loom. Or bad loom connector. You have to do some type of continuity test through the loom to find it.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:33 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jack F
Is car under warranty?
Hi Jack, yes, the car is under warranty (thankfully) and I have to say the Porsche warranty is very comprehensive. At this stage, I reckon the bill would be very substantial if I was paying for it. Months and months of diagnosis, including several new parts, and my OPC has no clue what the issue is.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:44 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by DC911S
Looks like a CANBUS wiring loom problem. No way that many sensors fail at once. Could be a chaffed or broken wire in the bus wiring loom. Or bad loom connector. You have to do some type of continuity test through the loom to find it.
Hi DC, this makes sense to me (though I know almost nothing about electrics). My OPC figures there may be a loose connection, an earth leak, a faulty sensor, or a broken part that a sensor is picking up. So basically anything could be the source.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:54 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Default Some further info…

My OPC also said that the faults were intermittent and for a week or two, every morning it would start OK with no faults. However, the faults would reoccur if the engine was restarted when warm. So cold start is not an issue, but warm start is - a reason to rule out wiring loom problem, they think (read “guess”).

Also, the OPC believes the problem is linked to the fuel delivery system, which is the reason for engine cut out, but they’re not sure. Hence the replacement 2x HP fuel pumps and now the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. I’m not sure if this is a cause or a symptom.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:49 AM
DC911S
Drifting

When things get hot, resistance goes up. When that goes up then voltage drops and current draw increases. The fact that it’s intermittent suggests a chaffed wire, loose ground or both. And note that a wire or connector might visually look fine, but could be broken inside. I suggest you try to find a shop that specializes in wiring issues and knows how to check the CAN bus. All that’s getting done now is throwing parts at it. In a CAN bus, each sensor has its own ID and the sensors share the bus using two or three wires on a common bus wiring loom. The ECU or CAN bus controller knows the ID of each sensor and gets its data and/or sends signals back to it. If the main CAN bus loom has problems, then any sensor thst taps off the loom may error out. That’s what you are seeing.

example of a CAN tester…

Example CAN bus tester or anslyzer

Last edited by DC911S; 02-18-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Tuner1 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 05:15 AM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by DC911S
I suggest you try to find a shop that specializes in wiring issues and knows how to check the CAN bus.
Hi DC, thank you again for your guidance, I appreciate your explanation and you spending time to help. As the car is having the work carried out under warranty, I don’t have a choice in where it is repaired - at the moment it’s at my local Porsche dealer.

I will certainly propose your suggestions, but really, shouldn’t my OPC possess a sniffer already - and if not, why not?! Also, I completely agree with you - they are just throwing parts at it hoping the problem goes away.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:39 AM
DC911S
Drifting

I doubt that any Porshe dealer has a CANBUS tester or diagnostic tool.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:55 PM
Davesrave
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So what was the outcome? I'm waiting on bated breath.
Scutterpants (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 07:25 PM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Originally Posted by Davesrave
So what was the outcome? I'm waiting on bated breath.
Well, it’s been a ****storm. The car was ‘repaired’ and returned to me on 17/03/2023 and everything seemed great. Leaving my son to school three days (and one journey) later, the car broke down again.

Incredibly pissed off, the car was transported back to my local dealership (Tonbridge - they were great) and they spent another couple of months trying to repair it.

So I had enough and engaged a lawyer to light a fire under Porsche - 6 months after it broke down in November 2022.

Incredibly, Porsche GB brushed me off and said ‘your contract is with the dealer you bought the car from’. So I engaged with Porsche Solihull to try and achieve agreement. They were rather unhelpful and tried to hardball me into selling the car back to them for £70k. I said no way, and the dealer principal, Terry Hobson, increased the offer by minute amounts, I guess hoping he could flip the car for profit.

So, earlier this month, after engaging my lawyer to pursue Porsche GB and Porsche Solihull, the latter decided to up their offer to £80k, once they accepted they were in the ****, as I was fully prepared to go all the way to court

Anyway, after accepting £80k as settlement - probably £10k under value, but I needed to cut loose. Porsche Solihull now has the car for sale at £93k. Absolute wænkęrs, in full knowledge that the car is fundamentally flawed.

Here’s the advert: https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/...reowned-M96OPO

Do yourself a big favour - don’t buy a carmine red 911 GTS, registration number RX18MFN as it is a bogey car.

Anything else you’d like to know? I can forward videos and emails to support the above account.

Last edited by Scutterpants; 05-24-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Davesrave (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 07:54 PM
Scutterpants
Track Day

Here’s a few times it’s been transported to my local dealer

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Fault Code Help