Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 991.1 -- what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 03:23 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

If you plan on wrapping, why worry about paint chips/blemishes?
Old 01-12-2023, 07:12 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 192 Posts

I’d live with the car for about a year before fixing blemishes. You may add your own first.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:50 AM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StimmyGaroppolo
If I do decide to get it wrapped, this would probably be the time to do it, to preserve the pristine paint job.
Absolutely do NOT do that. The last thing you want to do is put PPF or a vinyl wrap on a fresh paint job. I've had multiple high-end PPF/vinyl installers (I have a number of friends in the business) tell me to NEVER install PPF or vinyl on a paint job that's less than 60 days old, and ideally at least 90, unless you want to destroy that brand new paint job when you take off the PPF/vinyl. FWIW, on my previous 997S, and on my AMG E63S, I waited 90+ days after I had the bumpers resprayed before I put on PPF.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:26 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Since you didnot mention options

Hard to suggest upgrades from suncoast. I am a mosly oem guy, below are some of the things that were must haves for me and can be easily added.

Sport wheel
Clear tails and sidelamps
oem Shortshift
Pse
Built in radar/lidar shifter
tune softtrnic
Weathertech
etc

If it has pdcc make sure the bottle was changed out as it has an internal filter and I suspect it plays a part in other failures (its part of book maitenance).

I would leave dings as you will get more and paint work will decrease value. Your wrapping anyway. FYI wraps have a 5 year lifespan and you may find you like this car so mush you keep it for a long time.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:48 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Congratulations on the new do you car and your entry into the world of Porsche .

Does the prior owner not have all the maintenance records? Obviously check the maintenance book ( in the leather binder with the owners manual), if the work was done at the dealership it will be stamped (some aftermarket blades and stamp it also). Join your local PCA (Porsche club of America), as there will no doubt be members there with knowledge of the best body shops in the area and also the best clear bra / window tinting / car wrapping places.

My car was a CPO, but I did take it to my local independent (since the nearest dealer is more than two hours away) for a “meet and greet with the car”. If you don’t have records it’s not real easy for a mechanic to tell what has been done or what hasn’t been done. Obviously if your brake fluid is dark brown it’s pretty evident it has not been changed every two years as is required, and if your air filter or oil is black … but I’d hate to spend thousands of dollars redoing a bunch of maintenance that was just done before you bought the car

Not that you need a Porsche certified collision Center, to do a couple of paint chip door ding repairs, but there are there is a list of Porsche certified body shops if you Google. Obviously if you have any type of real accident it’s best to take your car there.

A lot of people spec. their cars with no markings at all, everybody knows it’s a 911. It may be too late because you already have holes in your front bumper but I’d ditch the front license plate too. The vast majority of there are many Porsche exotic car owners in California who don’t run from plates. The body shop could fill the holes or you can order plugs from Bumper Plugs.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:14 AM
IWOA911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the congregation! Your car your choice but if nothing else I’d get it inspected as others have mentioned just to have a good base. I bought my 2013 C2S in September and for my own piece of mind I have changed the oil and I’m flushing the brakes as we speak. This forum is be a great source for any questions you might have and if you’re up for it DIYs too! Enjoy your ride and congratulations!
Old 01-12-2023, 11:16 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

congrats on your new car.

before you repaint parts of the car, do think twice whether the cosmetical damage is that bad that it needs repainting. There are people (like me) who would prefer to buy a car that still has the original paint than a car that has been repainted (because you never know why it was repainted)...
Old 01-12-2023, 03:03 PM
shklein911
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I got my first 911 in Sept. 2021 and it's also a 2013 991.1 (4s). I have a great independent mechanic if you're in the SFV. He also does restorations so he knows our cars very well. And let me know when you wanna do some spirited drives once all the road get cleared!
Old 01-12-2023, 04:54 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shklein911
Congrats! I got my first 911 in Sept. 2021 and it's also a 2013 991.1 (4s). I have a great independent mechanic if you're in the SFV. He also does restorations so he knows our cars very well. And let me know when you wanna do some spirited drives once all the road get cleared!
Thank you sir! Sure, totally open to suggestions.
I am tentatively going to be taking my car to TRE up in Van Nuys. Inspection for half the price of others I called, and they are going to get the "Carrera" put on there for cheap.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:01 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

First, thanks to everyone for the comments. All have been insightful. To summarize my reaction:

I'll leave the front license plate in place (for now). I have new plates on the way and will see how it looks without a front plate once I have the new ones to put on.

Dings/paint chips I'm not going to touch for a while. Perhaps I'll wrap it. But I won't have it painted THEN wrapped, at least not for many months after the paint job. We'll see. For now I just want to make sure she's healthy.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:11 PM
shklein911
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like a great shop! I go to TLG Auto in North Hollywood. Marco and his team are awesome. Cheers!
Old 01-12-2023, 06:54 PM
DeeMeltDown
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new car! I also just bought pretty much the same car about a month ago. Mine is a 2012 but also just says 911 S on the back but can see Carrera spelled out when you open the doors. Also notice the engine smell in mine, especially if I've been driving it like its meant to be driven. Not sure what area you are in but I found a good mechanic by signing up for an Avants membership and actually get a discount through them.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:00 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeeMeltDown
Congrats on the new car! I also just bought pretty much the same car about a month ago. Mine is a 2012 but also just says 911 S on the back but can see Carrera spelled out when you open the doors. Also notice the engine smell in mine, especially if I've been driving it like its meant to be driven. Not sure what area you are in but I found a good mechanic by signing up for an Avants membership and actually get a discount through them.
Thanks Dee - and congrats to you as well!

I am on the west side of LA. I am pretty pleased with the quote I got from TRE up in Van Nuys so I'm pulling the trigger on that and intend to create a long term relationship with them if everything goes well. I'll share before/after pics once I get "Carrera" added.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:24 PM
TEXIGO
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Congrats on the car.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:00 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 442 Posts

Congrats on the car. It's beautiful!
I kind of like the way it looks with just 911 S but if I were to change it, I might just omit the 991 S all together and just leave the letters P O R S C H E as others have done/suggested.
Find yourself a good reputable indy mechanic. Take your car for an oil change and have them do a thorough once-over. It won't be comprehensive but you probably won't pay extra for it.
Wrapping the car in a different color is a fun idea, but it never looks as good as an original paint job up close. Perhaps keep the car this color for a few years before wrapping it. That way when you do it, it will be like getting a new 911 all over again.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 991.1 -- what's next?