Sponsored by:

Ring Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 11:59 AM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurvenflitzer
I hooked up the constant wire to a 5A fuse on the passenger side, that had constant power. Not sure that you can, or why you would connect it to the OBD2 port.
Garmin recommended the OBD2 Constant Power Cable.. it has safeguards for battery depletion, so looked like the safer option. It also has the option to run another cam if I want one for the back window. I've used Garmin on other activities for many years and have never had any issues. If it was any other brand, I might question the OBD2 connection.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:21 AM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Think the only benefit of the OBD2 connection is if you run more than one camera. The camera itself has a feature to turn off if the battery voltage drops below 11.7V. I don't leave my car parked outside anywhere long enough where that would be a concern anyway, but I can see how someone would like the extra safeguard. In either way you have to buy a separate cable - in my case the parking cable - to make the connection, which I think is a rip off....but different topic.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 AM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurvenflitzer
The camera itself has a feature to turn off if the battery voltage drops below 11.7V. ...In either way you have to buy a separate cable - in my case the parking cable - to make the connection, which I think is a rip off....but different topic.
I wasn't aware the camera had battery protection within the device. Funny they sell a cable/connector that duplicates that. Double protected Lol. Yes, Garmin is just expensive, but so is everything related to Porsche.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:31 PM
dilmorecg
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the garmin mini on mine too. I like how small it is. Most are bigger and bulky. I have mine plugged into the usb under the passenger dash.

Quick Reply: Ring Your Porsche