Sponsored by:

Gauge Face Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 08:44 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts
Default Gauge Face Swap

I have been looking for manual transmission white gauges forever (that weren't $800) and I stumbled across these guys

https://venoxy.com/805-911-9911

$150 + shipping seemed reasonable and I got them in CA from Poland in about 10 days from my initial order.

Visual quality is 100%, and they function great, materials feel a bit less sturdy than OEM, but for the price and the fact you never touch them and they are behind plastic is not a big deal to me. They fit like factory.

From start to finish it took about 2 hours and would rate this a 3/10 on the DIY scale. The hardest part was taking off the gauge trim without breaking it.

Def recommend these gauges for the price and quality.

Yes my Odometer is correct, 97,000 miles +

Last edited by Joec500; 01-04-2023 at 08:45 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Joec500:
AdamSanta85 (01-06-2023), bds (01-05-2023), edirtaynine (04-04-2023), koala (04-05-2023), polobai (01-05-2023), SConn (01-04-2023), Viper1000 (06-27-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

I am very interested in this topic. Is your vehicle a 991.2 Carrera (base/S/GTS)? Did the redline numbers match up to OEM? I too have a manual and have yet to see a decent review of a set installed for manual transmissions, even more particularly a 991.2.

Would also love to know more detail about the install. From the photos, it looks like the original OEM faces had to be removed. Were they glued on or did they lift right off? How delicate did you find the removal & replacement of the needles/hands? To me that would seem like the most challenging part. I recall someone who installed the FVD ones say that they could never get the gauges to read accurately anymore after he did the swap which is what scares me the most about doing this. But yours looks good, so nicely done.

Also, How do the warning lights look on start up? Does everything line/match up?

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-04-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:05 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I am very interested in this topic. Is your vehicle a 991.2 Carrera (base/S/GTS)? Did the redline numbers match up to OEM? I too have a manual and have yet to see a decent review of a set installed for manual transmissions, even more particularly a 991.2.

Would also love to know more detail about the install. From the photos, it looks like the original OEM faces had to be removed. Were they glued on or did they lift right off? How delicate did you find the removal & replacement of the needles/hands? To me that would seem like the most challenging part. I recall someone who installed the FVD ones say that they could never get the gauges to read accurately anymore after he did the swap which is what scares me the most about doing this. But yours looks good, so nicely done.

Also, How do the warning lights look on start up? Does everything line/match up?

Auto Amateur has an excellent DIY video on this:

The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Cityfisher (02-02-2024), Viper1000 (04-05-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier

Yes redline for my 991.1 lineup as they should. They have different part numbers for 991.1 and 991.2, KPH/MPH and manual vs PDK.

Here's the link to all the 991.2 gauges, and they have drop downs for MPH/KPH and Manual or PDK. You can even get GTS logos or T or turbo etc in the custom box section.

https://venoxy.com/829-carrera-s-gts

I used the posted above youtube video as my guide. And yes the Original gauges are removed you just need to carefully pull them off like in the video. The needles are pretty sturdy, I just used a plastic pry tool to remove the larger ones the smaller ones came off by just pulling on them with my fingers.

When I re-installed my MPH was off and pegged at 200MPH LOL - I had a feeling this could happen so I didn't close the cluster back up. I just used my reference picture from before I pulled the gauge out and removed the needle from the default reset point and put it back on in the correct orientation. - Def not a big deal or hard to trouble shoot.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

Very Nice! I changed the gauge faces in my 987.2 a few years back with a new face from https://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Homepage The customization options are endless. Price is good, about what you paid for yours.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:54 AM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Resetting the tach needle is tedious. You can position it to what appears as the exact position it was in before you removed it and you will be 100s if not a thousand+ rpms off. Porsche tachs do not auto calibrate as with some manufacturers. Each time you find how far you're off then requires unplugging the cluster and disassembling it again. I replaced my dark grey/black tach face with a red face and the quality was not up to OEM. It became very apparent at night as the backlighting of the tach with the red face was poor. Backlighting made the red face appear to be an ugly brown and the light through the translucent areas was uneven. An exercise in futility and I finally went back to the original OEM face with more attempts of remove cluster / reset the needle / install the cluster before getting an accurate rpm reading.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 02:54 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by straka
Resetting the tach needle is tedious. You can position it to what appears as the exact position it was in before you removed it and you will be 100s if not a thousand+ rpms off. Porsche tachs do not auto calibrate as with some manufacturers. Each time you find how far you're off then requires unplugging the cluster and disassembling it again. I replaced my dark grey/black tach face with a red face and the quality was not up to OEM. It became very apparent at night as the backlighting of the tach with the red face was poor. Backlighting made the red face appear to be an ugly brown and the light through the translucent areas was uneven. An exercise in futility and I finally went back to the original OEM face with more attempts of remove cluster / reset the needle / install the cluster before getting an accurate rpm reading.
What I did was plug the unit back in the cover removed so I could remove the needle in real time from the dash, then once I was happy I snapped everything back together. It's a shame they don't have a tach calibration like GM cars LOL. I have white faces the and illumination looks great at night, EXCEPT with the white faces they reflect light from the needles and creates a slight red glow from the rear, which I think looks good. I think this has more to do with them being white which reflects light versus the quality.

Also I probably couldn't tell if my RPM's are off my 100th's or 1000th's, as long as it's pegged at zero when the car is off I am good to go LOL. Also during spirited or track driving, I change gears based on feel and sound and maybe a little peripheral view of the tach, so fidelity to the 1000th's is not necessary for me LOL.

Last edited by Joec500; 01-05-2023 at 03:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joec500:
AdamSanta85 (01-06-2023), koala (04-05-2023), Viper1000 (01-06-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:07 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Which brand of gauge face were you using that had poor quality on the backlighting?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:36 PM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoComp
Which brand of gauge face were you using that had poor quality on the backlighting?
I don't want to mention the seller as he was apologetic and quickly refunded my money. He does post YouTube videos which are very informative and of excellent quality. My guess that all the instrument faces come from the same manufacturer. most likely in China, even if it's a German retailer. My red tach face illuminated brown (ugly) at night and the translucent symbols that are alerts on the face were not very translucent.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:28 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by straka
I don't want to mention the seller as he was apologetic and quickly refunded my money. He does post YouTube videos which are very informative and of excellent quality. My guess that all the instrument faces come from the same manufacturer. most likely in China, even if it's a German retailer. My red tach face illuminated brown (ugly) at night and the translucent symbols that are alerts on the face were not very translucent.
I know mine are custom cut as I had a lot of options from text, to MPH/KPH vs manual or PDK. I could have custom text added as well.

Mine were shipped from poland and given the wide variety of cars they support I believe they have custom machines to laser cut every brand on demand. Stocking every color and every text, transmission options would be way too many skews.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:39 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Stop costing me money

Is your BRAKE symbol now (!) like here in the colonies?
Old 05-22-2023, 06:39 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

FVD gauges are terrible. They're not close at all to OEM and they won't even offer a refund. Thoroughly disappointed and I picked it up through Suncoast.

Last edited by gskv; 05-22-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:45 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

I ended up using Venoxy gauge faces like the OP on my 958 to replace the poor quality faces the importer installed. They look and feel like OEM ones should. Also worth noting that I made a custom request in the notes to have a gray center tach face and the rest black. They sent a follow-up email confirming they saw the note and would do it for me. I think they shipped within 2-3 days and they were delivered from Poland to me in Washington State in under a week from the time I placed the order. I see no reason, other than being able to source OEM faces, that anyone should get any other brand than Venoxy.
The following users liked this post:
supercroc (05-24-2023)
Old 02-02-2024, 04:23 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoComp
I see no reason, other than being able to source OEM faces, that anyone should get any other brand than Venoxy.
Ditto. Completed Venoxy white face swap for the 991.2 and very happy vs. OE $$$$$$.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:02 PM
zaskar15
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Ditto. Completed Venoxy white face swap for the 991.2 and very happy vs. OE $$$$$$.
Can you share any pictures or experience in the swap? Just ordered mine for 991.2 and concerned with lining up the needles. I ordered in yellow and will most likely only change the Tach

Quick Reply: Gauge Face Swap