Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 07:06 PM
SpartanSD
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the same setup and here is what I have found. If the red and black wires at the camera end of the cable are connected to +12v and ground respectively, the camera will work fine and the mr12v unit will switch over to it when you select reverse. If the +12v line is switched (tapped into the backup light) then the camera will be powered up when you select reverse and all is well. If the red is not switched, the camera is probably powered up all the time and while it will work OK, it's probably not good for it. If you have the mr12v unit, it is likely more convenient to connect the "trigger" wire at the head unit end of the cable to the backup cam 12v output (red I think) on the mr12v. Then you don't need to use the red wire at the camera end of the cable. I'm pretty sure you still need to ground the black wire though, but that's easy enough in an engine compartment. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
K996 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:19 PM
justinroffmarsh
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartanSD
I have the same setup and here is what I have found. If the red and black wires at the camera end of the cable are connected to +12v and ground respectively, the camera will work fine and the mr12v unit will switch over to it when you select reverse.
That's excellent, thank you. That was what I was expecting. I planned to use the Mr12V wire to power the camera and only connect the remote end if the camera was taking too long to start (or suffering signs of voltage drop). It works fine without either wire connected, but I'll ground it regardless. Probably best practice with a long cable run. Thank you, again!
Old 03-19-2024, 05:18 AM
TBK911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I'd reach out to the camera manufacturer and find out what those leads are for.
Anyone one in the DFW area experienced with this product installation?
Old 05-16-2024, 11:11 PM
bretth
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently received a Mr12volt unit... as I am in the midst of watching and reading about how to install it. Have a few questions, please. Is it true that this unit eliminates the ability to use your CD player? Effectively, it "bricks" it? Or only when in CarPlay and then have to switch to standard PCM mode to play any CD? Would hate to have a CD player slot that does not work.

Also, side question, once installed does the unit boot automatically into CarPlay mode or require changing sources to "TV" each time to access?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:35 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bretth
Recently received a Mr12volt unit... as I am in the midst of watching and reading about how to install it. Have a few questions, please. Is it true that this unit eliminates the ability to use your CD player? Effectively, it "bricks" it? Or only when in CarPlay and then have to switch to standard PCM mode to play any CD? Would hate to have a CD player slot that does not work.

Also, side question, once installed does the unit boot automatically into CarPlay mode or require changing sources to "TV" each time to access?

Thanks.
I've never heard of Mr12Volt bricking the cd player. Whet in CarPlay, you can only use the apps. If you press source, you can switch to other sources.

If you shut off the car in CarPlay or android auto it will boot it when you start. Make sure to have unlock permission properly set so that it can boot without you unlocking your phone.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Nashvegas (05-21-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 12:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 748 Posts

I've installed three different types of units for friends. In all cases, the units hijacked an input from the PCM.

From everything I could tell, with Mr12Volt you are either on Carplay / AA and all of your audio transfers only from your phone through that hijacked interface (TV). You can press a button to select an original sound source, which will shut off Carplay / AA. I could not find a workaround to get back to Carplay without disabling the selected audio source and return to your phone. Unfortunately I've gotten no response from my emails.

For the NM Auto and 9xxresearch.com units you can go to the OE PCM operating system and select any sound source. Those sources work and will continue to do so even if you reselect Carplay / AA. But Carplay / AA sound will operate only via the aux input. So if you're listening to a CD you will not receive Waze warnings or nav instructions.

In other words, for all of the systems I know of, sound sources are isolated and none of these systems appear to integrate the various sources. But IMHO, from the knowledge I have (incomplete???) Mr12Volt seems to be more compromised. This may not matter to some, but if you go beyond your network range while using Waze or downloaded Maps for directions while listening to streamed music from your phone, you may not be happy when music options end completely.

So it seems that there are compromises. But I won't say I'm the final authority. I haven't received answers to my emails to Mr12Volt so maybe there's a workaround I don't know about.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
bretth (05-17-2024), Porsche_nuts (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:43 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I've installed three different types of units for friends. In all cases, the units hijacked an input from the PCM.

From everything I could tell, with Mr12Volt you are either on Carplay / AA and all of your audio transfers only from your phone through that hijacked interface (TV). You can press a button to select an original sound source, which will shut off Carplay / AA. I could not find a workaround to get back to Carplay without disabling the selected audio source and return to your phone. Unfortunately I've gotten no response from my emails.

For the NM Auto and 9xxresearch.com units you can go to the OE PCM operating system and select any sound source. Those sources work and will continue to do so even if you reselect Carplay / AA. But Carplay / AA sound will operate only via the aux input. So if you're listening to a CD you will not receive Waze warnings or nav instructions.

In other words, for all of the systems I know of, sound sources are isolated and none of these systems appear to integrate the various sources. But IMHO, from the knowledge I have (incomplete???) Mr12Volt seems to be more compromised. This may not matter to some, but if you go beyond your network range while using Waze or downloaded Maps for directions while listening to streamed music from your phone, you may not be happy when music options end completely.

So it seems that there are compromises. But I won't say I'm the final authority. I haven't received answers to my emails to Mr12Volt so maybe there's a workaround I don't know about.
The mr12volt kit uses the TV channel. You have access to everything the TV module would have, which is to say nothing as you would not be listening to the radio or a CD while watching TV.

Yes this sucks when you're out of wifi range, but but for 99% of people this is really a none issue, especially when you do best the best quality audio possible when I'm range or when you play media of your USB.

As you said, each system has compromises. My users prefer to have the best quality audio in 99% of their driving vs poorer audio quality throughout.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:57 PM
bretth
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Excellent response, thank you Wayne. I went ahead and returned the Mr12volt. The combination of making the CD player worthless since I do always have Waze up on my CarPlay screen... the pigtail/splicing work required for wiring in the rear camera... plus, if you do not have Fiber Optics in your car, it requires a wiring "hack". This has driven me back to NM Automotive which offers more flexibility if you are not an audiophile. Nick's customer service has also been beyond anyone's as I had it installed on my previous 991.

As a side note... with a 15% restocking fee for any unopened, <30 day return... and No returns for anything opened... buyers please be aware of ACS's return policy if you are just evaluating the system. The company offers no flexibility. Also note that the Mr12volt company themselves seems to offer more flexibility with zero restocking fees. I guess I should have done more research all the way around on this one.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:35 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bretth
Excellent response, thank you Wayne. I went ahead and returned the Mr12volt. The combination of making the CD player worthless since I do always have Waze up on my CarPlay screen... the pigtail/splicing work required for wiring in the rear camera... plus, if you do not have Fiber Optics in your car, it requires a wiring "hack". This has driven me back to NM Automotive which offers more flexibility if you are not an audiophile. Nick's customer service has also been beyond anyone's as I had it installed on my previous 991.

As a side note... with a 15% restocking fee for any unopened, <30 day return... and No returns for anything opened... buyers please be aware of ACS's return policy if you are just evaluating the system. The company offers no flexibility. Also note that the Mr12volt company themselves seems to offer more flexibility with zero restocking fees. I guess I should have done more research all the way around on this one.
Thank you for trying our system. I'm unsure what wiring hack your speak of for the base radio. The only issues with rear camera has been a select few manual transmission cars. Using the provided signal wire to trigger the rear cam is not so crazy considering what your already doing inside the pcm.

​​​​​I am well aware that you can't make everyone happy.
As a small business I do ask a restocking fee to keep people from buying and returning equipment for no fault of my own. My return policy is clear on my web page.

I do put a colossal effort into providing information on rennlist, Facebook and over the phone ​before, during and after your purchase. If you find my effort lacking then by all means I'll take the return and you can try your hand at a competitors product.

​​​​​
​​

Last edited by Roman ACS; 05-18-2024 at 06:45 AM.
shammerman (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 05:47 PM
TeamHog
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Any hints to get all of the wires tucked back in so I can push the PCM fully back into its home?
Old 05-20-2024, 08:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamHog
Any hints to get all of the wires tucked back in so I can push the PCM fully back into its home?
Try. Try. And try again. On the 997s I found space by pushing them in and to the left. I believe it was to the right on the 991 I did. Just keep trying. It can be frustrating, and then suddenly it works.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:07 PM
TeamHog
Track Day

Thanks.
I’ll keep at it.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:46 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamHog
A good friend of mine installed mine a few weeks ago or so (991.1) and he wrapped the wiring neatly and then was able to push it all in the back. Here is a photo that does show partially how he bundled them prior to reinstalling the PCM.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:02 PM
TeamHog
Track Day

That’s a good idea.

I wish there was a way to attach a zip tie or something that could be pulled down into that area.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:02 AM
Flenn
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

There’s an area all the way back and to the right. I was able to tuck the largest part of the bundle there and the remaining wiring is pressed up against the back of the pcm.

Quick Reply: Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration