Sponsored by:

Getting Android to work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 03:32 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Getting Android to work?

I have a 17 911 and 18 Macan both with Apple Car play. My Android phone works in both but not Spotify. Will I need to get a I Phone to get it to work?
Old 12-08-2022, 08:01 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
I have a 17 911 and 18 Macan both with Apple Car play. My Android phone works in both but not Spotify. Will I need to get a I Phone to get it to work?
If you’ve done the simavers or DIY android auto enable in your 911, no, you should not need an iPhone - I use spotify on android auto in my 911 every time I go on a long drive with it. Works just fine.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:22 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 532 Posts

Use the guy on here that does it, he did my 17 911 and its great. Also did my 18 Panamera
simaservis1108

Last edited by B Russ; 12-08-2022 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (12-08-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 07:07 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Agree. Get Android Auto via Sima. He has done 2 vehicles for me.

Just for your info, the first time I experienced a lot of no connection/disconnection problems. Online forums suggested the USB cable. Tried about 5 or 6 different expensive cables. No different. Bought a Motorola MA1 wireless AA adapter. Worked, but used to disconnect the phone at certain locations, typically near known speed trapping locations, so Waze would not work. Not cool. Suspected RF interference with the MA1.
Changed my phone from a Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S22 and the problems disappeared. AA works fine in my SUV with factory AA and the 911 with Sima AA update.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:21 PM
Sze5003
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
Agree. Get Android Auto via Sima. He has done 2 vehicles for me.

Just for your info, the first time I experienced a lot of no connection/disconnection problems. Online forums suggested the USB cable. Tried about 5 or 6 different expensive cables. No different. Bought a Motorola MA1 wireless AA adapter. Worked, but used to disconnect the phone at certain locations, typically near known speed trapping locations, so Waze would not work. Not cool. Suspected RF interference with the MA1.
Changed my phone from a Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S22 and the problems disappeared. AA works fine in my SUV with factory AA and the 911 with Sima AA update.
I'm having a similar experience with Android Auto. It worked initially with a USB cord but the next time I was in the car (2021 Macan) it did not pop up Android Auto.

I was asked to use the OEM USB cable and I have a Samsung S22 Ultra so I used the cable that came with my charging brick and it is native USB-C. Also did not work or if it does, it's sporadic when it does.

I was told to factory reset the PCM which I will do soon.

I also have the Motorola MA1 wireless adapter and it connects to my S22U phone via Bluetooth. The phone says "Connected to Android Auto". "Continue on your car's screen". But there is no pop up for carplay showing up on the PCM. I know when it worked via USB cable the pcm shows carplay not Andro auto.

Anyway I'll work with Sima to figure it out eventually.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:54 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sze5003
I'm having a similar experience with Android Auto. It worked initially with a USB cord but the next time I was in the car (2021 Macan) it did not pop up Android Auto.

I was asked to use the OEM USB cable and I have a Samsung S22 Ultra so I used the cable that came with my charging brick and it is native USB-C. Also did not work or if it does, it's sporadic when it does.

I was told to factory reset the PCM which I will do soon.

I also have the Motorola MA1 wireless adapter and it connects to my S22U phone via Bluetooth. The phone says "Connected to Android Auto". "Continue on your car's screen". But there is no pop up for carplay showing up on the PCM. I know when it worked via USB cable the pcm shows carplay not Andro auto.

Anyway I'll work with Sima to figure it out eventually.
It is different for each phone, so I won't give exact instructions, but try this:

in phone settings, go to Developer options and enable - you will find instructions online how to do this.
In Developer options, there is a Default USB configuration setting, choose Transferring files.

Try again.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:43 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the same cars (a 2015 Macan S though) and no Apple Car Play. I think the 911 has it but I have no Apple devices so haven't tried it.

My android phone, including Spotify, works fine just using the bluetooth/AUX setting on the PCM. I agree that Android Auto is the way to go, but if you just want music (and GPS through the speakers) the BT source works perfectly. It automatically connects to Spotify when I get in either car.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:27 AM
Sze5003
Intermediate

It is different for each phone, so I won't give exact instructions, but try this:

in phone settings, go to Developer options and enable - you will find instructions online how to do this.
In Developer options, there is a Default USB configuration setting, choose Transferring files.

Try again.
Thank you, it seems developer options was turned off on my S22U for some reason. I will give it another go and possibly also reset the PCM to default settings too.

Originally Posted by TomiK
I have the same cars (a 2015 Macan S though) and no Apple Car Play. I think the 911 has it but I have no Apple devices so haven't tried it.

My android phone, including Spotify, works fine just using the bluetooth/AUX setting on the PCM. I agree that Android Auto is the way to go, but if you just want music (and GPS through the speakers) the BT source works perfectly. It automatically connects to Spotify when I get in either car.
My phone connects without issue to the car via Bluetooth. I don’t use Spotify because I pay for YouTube premium and with that you get YouTube music too. It will also continue playing music when I get back in the car but it will randomly do this annoying thing where the music will Pause and I have to tap play on the PCM for it to continue.

I do get a bit jealous when my fiancé gets in the car and her iPhone automatically pulls up Car play. Being an engineer myself, I don’t think I can ever use an iPhone though…I like my customizations too much.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Developer options (I guess) are off by default. Otherwise the average joe will have the phone disabled in a few hours...

If you don't know what a setting is, don't mess with it. Only the USB file transfer change should be necessary. If AA works, turn off developer options with file transfer selected. If AA stops working, you may have to leave developer options turned on.

Unfortunately most 'Android' phones are running the phone makers Android version which is not necessarily what Google configured to work with AA. You may need a Pixel for that.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 AM
Sze5003
Intermediate

I used to be a long time user of pixel phones since the pixel 2. I got burned with the pixel 6 pro..no connection, poor battery, the crappy exynos modem they used, etc. I had to replace it and the Samsung has no issues. Hopefully I'll go back to pixel with the 8 pro whenever that one is released and hopefully they will improve on things from the 6 and the 7.

I reset the PCM in my Macan, reconnected my phone and the Motorola MA1 now connected and Android auto popped up.

Let's see if it will auto connect now when I get back in the car at the end of the work day.

Last edited by Sze5003; 01-18-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:52 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

when I get back in the car but it will randomly do this annoying thing where the music will Pause and I have to tap play on the PCM for it to continue.
This is a new, but known, issue with Android Auto on the latest release. There are so many bugs related to Coolwalk. I'm sure it'll get sorted out on the next AA update.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Sze5003
Intermediate

I forgot to ask, what is the difference between Sima’s mod and another vendor I see on here? Can warranty be void by going with one vs the other? I see posts about a fake FEC code being activated in the PCM. If I bring my car in for maintenance, and they hook it up to the computer can warranty be void?
Old 01-19-2023, 12:24 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

I forgot to ask, what is the difference between Sima’s mod and another vendor I see on here? Can warranty be void by going with one vs the other? I see posts about a fake FEC code being activated in the PCM. If I bring my car in for maintenance, and they hook it up to the computer can warranty be void?
Highly doubt it, however I lost android auto after a dealer visit where they did a factory rest on all the systems inside the car. Have not contacted sima to have it done again.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Adding AA hardware is more likely to cause some problems under warranty.

I had a service done under warranty and the car was returned with AA (software) working. I am not sure how obvious the AA SW upgrade is to the diagnostics, or if Porsche even care. The 992 has AA, so it can't be that bad. IIRC, Porsche didn't want to add AA for earlier PCM's due to a security risk with Android.

AFAIK, the PCM can be restored to the original setting if you only did the AA SW update.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:19 PM
Sze5003
Intermediate

Adding AA hardware is more likely to cause some problems under warranty.

I had a service done under warranty and the car was returned with AA (software) working. I am not sure how obvious the AA SW upgrade is to the diagnostics, or if Porsche even care. The 992 has AA, so it can't be that bad. IIRC, Porsche didn't want to add AA for earlier PCM's due to a security risk with Android.

AFAIK, the PCM can be restored to the original setting if you only did the AA SW update.
The other vendor is Innovative soft or some name like that. I only did whatever Sima offered to get AA activated on my 2021 Macan so no hardware change.

The only other issue I am having is well, my fiancé is an iPhone user and she often drives the car too (in fact she prefers driving the Macan now, go figure). When she gets in her phone is paired with the car and my Macan has wireless CarPlay which came with the car when I purchased it. It works fine but when she is done and then I get into the car to go somewhere, for Android Auto to pop up again on the PCM i have to reset the PCM, reset the Motorola MA1 adapter, and reconnect my Android phone and then Android auto comes back on the PCM.

I asked Sima and he said he will look into it. Seems to be some mix up in the PCM once CarPlay is connected. Before her iPhone paired with the car, AA wireless came up for me every time I got in and turned the car on.

Last edited by Sze5003; 01-29-2023 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeifei72 (03-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Getting Android to work?