Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level message after using icarsoft por 2 for airbag reset?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 10:29 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Oil level message after using icarsoft por 2 for airbag reset?!?!

Last night I bought the icarsoft por 2 and used it to reset the airbag light after steering wheel swap, While letting it do an automatic systems check I got the "oil level above maximum possible to drive on" message on the notification area,
I bought the car about 2 months ago and it had the oil changed by a Porsche dealer before I bought it, no warning lights at all until now. So I'm guessing that since the scan tool didn't add oil that it triggered a sensors fault and its not lo, or it fixed a sensor fault and its been over max this whole time.
Should I just take to the dealer and get an oil change to be sure?
Old 12-08-2022, 11:02 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

But seriously, this may be unrelated but worth a try. I had a 991 GT3 that sat for long periods of time, and condensation would build, so the oil sensor would give that same warning just assuming that it was oil. The fix for it is easy and I would have to do it a few times during the time we had it:

Take the car out, let it get to operating temp, then drive it hard (or drive it at mucher higher RPM's for a while). The goal is to get that motor working to burn up any condensation and get that hot oil everywhere. Then as soon as you get back, turn off the car, open your engine lid, open up your oil cap, count to 10, then tighten it back up. You might here some electronic noise, which is normal. It resets all the sensors back there to their current readings.

Light should go away. It happens when the car sits (and who knows how long at the dealer) and also when you live in a humid environment without beating on it like it deserves every now and then.
Good luck. In my experience, it works every time.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:34 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

I'll give it a try!
It had sat at the airport for a couple days, it was about 60 and humid when I arrived last night, I drove 30 minutes on the highway to meet a friend before the light came on. After reseting airbag and tripping warning I then drove 30 minutes home at 85 on the highway.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:29 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by madsedan
I'll give it a try!
It had sat at the airport for a couple days, it was about 60 and humid when I arrived last night, I drove 30 minutes on the highway to meet a friend before the light came on. After reseting airbag and tripping warning I then drove 30 minutes home at 85 on the highway.
You need high RPM's, abuse her for a few minutes. A launch control might do the trick, but you need to get the oil in every crevasse to get rid of the moisture.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:01 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey madsedan - off topic a bit ... did you evaluate other scanners prior to buying the icarsoft por? I am still confused about which ones will do what on our 911s ...?
Old 12-09-2022, 04:53 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Well, that didn't work, max oil light still on, and I'm chasing the airbag light issue as well.
I bought a used icarsoft por II, I assume it works fine, but I haven't been able to turn off my airbag light due to an error I'm chasing down.

Quick Reply: Oil level message after using icarsoft por 2 for airbag reset?!?!