A tale of awesome humans and an unawesome water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 09:53 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts
Default A tale of awesome humans and an unawesome water pump

Soo........

Back in August of this year I decided to leave Chicago and move back to the Bay Area (great decision btw)… since I’d be driving with a Golden Retriever as my co-pilot, figured let’s take care of the 60k mile service before this trip. Got the car serviced at Porsche Highland Park, they took care of me well and did it on very short notice - good people!

Then came that fateful day in September… On September 22nd I drove from Chicago to Denver… made great time, good weather, a 911, and a golden retriever with all the windows down… life doesn’t get better than this!... September 23rd… I wake up and look at my boy and go… you need to see the Grand Canyon, don’t you? I think he said yes… at least I took it as a yes, and figured why not take a detour - making good time!

About four hours into my drive I start smelling something odd… but think eh, it’s New Mexico, maybe remnants of a UFO because there is absolutely nothing around me, and it can’t be me because I just had the car serviced!

Wrong - water pump (I think?) got abducted by aliens and I got the red coolant warning light. I had saw a sign a few miles back saying Las Vegas 8 miles, and I thought holy crap! Do I have good luck or what?! Gaudin is in Vegas, it’s Vegas…. and well my pup hasn’t been to Vegas either so we’re good….

Needless to say I was wrong and didn’t think it could be Las Vegas, New Mexico… it very much was, and I’m 155 miles away from the nearest dealership.

But, this is 2022 - luckily I had a few bars of LTE and a full charge, so AAA was able to get me a flat bed to the nearest dealership which was Porsche of Albuquerque… and suggested I get in touch with them since it was only 1pm and they were still probably open.

Nile Reneker if you or anyone from Porsche of Albuquerque is reading this, thank you yet again! This gentleman was able to take my call right away, told me not to worry at all, have the car dropped off at the dealership, and suggested a few good hotels to spend the night and rest was total smooth sailing (stayed at The Clyde).

I finally made it to my hotel around 10pm that night, fed the Large Puppy, and decided to seek out a taco and margarita (both were found)… and the next day I picked up a rental car and drove the rest of the way to the Bay Area….

Come Monday, Nile got in touch with me to let me know there would be a nominal charge to start investigating the problem since the car was out of warranty (60k miles) and we didn’t know what was causing the coolant message… I buckled up for a bill and said go ahead since it was in good hands…. Supply chain and shortage of techs played a bit of a role, but two weeks later Nile gave me a call and gave me some phenomenal news - it’s a vacuum line…. And a water pump! Needless to say, I’m happy because it’ll be a warranty repair, and at worst I wait a bit so life is gravy!

The pump took two weeks to arrive from Germany, but throughout this process Nile still made it a point to get in touch with me to talk me through the process, or sometimes just to give me an update of hey nothing yet, but just wanted to let you know nothing yet - which is very much appreciated! Finally pump came, repairs done, and all is well - wrong!

Error message still there, so back in the lab it goes, techs determine that a valve failed. Nile gave me a heads up, let me know of the timeline and then I figured okay, well once this is done it’s all good so let me schedule transport….

Reached out to Liz @BearsTransport here on Rennlist, mentioned I have a car in Porsche Albuquerque, can you drop it off at Porsche Burlingame in two weeks? Yep, no problem, here’s a super fair price and we'll take care of the rest… .Great I thought! Nile has the car ready, Liz is going to take care of transport, all is well…

Turns out once the valve was replaced, but that didn't fix the problem... Error still there! Finally the last problem was discovered (turbo related)…. Uh oh I thought, I just paid for transport and here’s another delay… nope yet again I was treated with the most gentle gloves, and Nile and Liz worked together to make sure everything was squared away….

Finally this Friday, I received my car back and wow does it feel good! This was nothing more than a super long way to say this community has been phenomenal, I’ve met some awesome people through here... I can’t say enough how great both Nile and Liz have been, and they’re the ones that believe it’s not just a car or a 911… but it’s my LargePuppyMobile and they gave me total peace of mind from initial breakdown to final delivery

Oh and btw, check those water pumps…. I am that case of the water pump going out in the middle of nowhere….Luckily it’s 2022, I had full charge, signal, and this was probably the first time in months I didn't have a conference call to attend…. And I can’t wait for Season 2 of HBO’s Laker Winning Time

And as far as dodging a bullet - there was a laundry list of parts, and a ton of labor that went on to sort this out.... Porsche really got me squared away on this (all warranty work).... really solid car, brand, people, everything
The following 8 users liked this post by LargePuppy:
Kurvenflitzer (12-05-2022), MBR993 (12-04-2022), MingusDew (12-05-2022), needmoregarage (12-05-2022), PJ Cayenne (12-04-2022), rchaas (12-06-2022), SConn (12-04-2022), woodranch (12-05-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:09 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

What a saga that starts great, gets worse, but ends happily.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:06 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Was it really the water pump then or just a bad COV all along?

Quick Reply: A tale of awesome humans and an unawesome water pump